Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Transfer miles from Chase or Marriott to UA
Beware for Chase this is an one-way transfer and for Marriott the return would lose points
This can take a few hours to a few days
Mile/Points transfers between UA & Marriott via RewardPlus - Questions/Experiences

Purchase Miles from UA
Currently, at 3.75 cents per mile, an expensive program but often has significant sales where miles are 2 to 2.5 cents per mile
This can take a few days

Award Accelerator
This is a more complex process but generally runs 2 to 2.5 cents per mile but hard to buy a specific amount
Miles post in a few hours at the most
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Transfer miles from another UA account
This costs 1.5 cents per mile (plus $30 fee)
Miles will post within 1 day
Generally considered a bad deal, as you can purchase the miles at about 2 cpm and not lose the miles in the other account
Short miles for award, What about transferring from another account? Alternatives?

Miles from Purchases (for small amounts)
Either via MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles
or MileagePlus Shopping
Posting time is variable

Credit Card signup bonuses
Cheapest approach but requires getting card approval and likely some card usage

An alternative is Book with Money and Miles -- What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?

Additional ways to earn miles
Also the slowest, as this will take months

e-Rewards® Opinion Panel

Print Wikipost

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2013, 5:16 am

Depending on how quickly you need it, applying for a credit card with bonus miles for the first charge can work very well.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 5:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MaxMiles
Trying to book 2 coach and 2 biz BWI to Australia and I am 445 miles short of the 430,000 I need. I tried to call the Mileage Plus line to see if they would cut me a break since I was so close but they said my only option is to pay $67.25 for 1,000 miles. I don't want to lose out on the seats that are available right now as it is tough to get the 4 tickets I want on the same flights and I am afraid they may disappear if I don't act VERY quickly (I dleayed a few days when I tried to set this up a few months ago na d everything disappeared on me. I have 500+ miles coming to me from a MileagePlusMall purchase I made a week and a half ago- but that will be a while before they show up in my account. Transfering from SPG is a better deal than paying $67.25, but that will take 2-4 weeks according to the website. Anyone have any ideas for me or do I just have to suck it up and pay the dough?
So .. you have what looks like a major family trip Down Under ... perhaps the trip of a lifetime? ... and you're faffing around over $67.25? Why would you risk losing those tickets over such a small amount of cash?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
So .. you have what looks like a major family trip Down Under ... perhaps the trip of a lifetime? ... and you're faffing around over $67.25? Why would you risk losing those tickets over such a small amount of cash?
Indeed. I should also point out that one can buy miles for 3.5 cp RDM - so not sure why you're paying $67.25.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
advice is a bit late...

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
For a May 2009 post (first in this thread)!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Portolan
For a May 2009 post (first in this thread)!
Wow!! My bad! I clearly completely spaced out on replying to the first post in the thread. Thanks for catching that.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:02 pm

Quickest way to get 25,500 miles?

My friend has 94,450 in mileage plus account. I am trying to help him out with the following itinerary

LAX to NYC (stopover) NYC to Budapest and Budapest/Rome to LAX

The itinerary costs 120K for two in economy. What can he do to quickly get another 25K in next 4-6 weeks on his united account, short of spending 25K at CVS buying VRs.

He does have United MileagePlus card.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:19 pm

Question Short ~40k miles; Options?

I'm short 40k miles - is it possible to 'combine' or 'dip into' miles from other Star Alliance members to make up the difference needed to get the flight?

Trip:
  • WAS - HNL (5/4)
    • HNL - OGG (5/4)
    • OGG - HNL (5/9)
  • HNL - SFO (5/12)
  • SFO - WAS (5/18)

I checked the ANA award utility and it shows 85k per person for that same itinerary. (!!) Didn't see an option for one-way tickets on the ANA site above - it expects a return flight.

Miles:
  • United #1: 56k
  • United #2: 65k
  • ANA #1: 13,077
  • ANA #2: 13,077
  • US Airways: 19,598

If we book separately, we have enough United miles for WAS - HNL - SFO.
Haven't figured out SFO - WAS or HNL - OGG.

Help!!

Last edited by JuliusPIV; Mar 12, 2013 at 8:41 pm
Old Mar 14, 2013, 1:39 am

Buying Miles

Hi,

I currently need 11k miles for an award trip and I was wondering what is the cheapest way to buy this miles, Cant do any of the CC deals btw.

Regards,
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:12 am

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Originally Posted by JuliusPIV
I'm short 40k miles - is it possible to 'combine' or 'dip into' miles from other Star Alliance members to make up the difference needed to get the flight?

Trip:
  • WAS - HNL (5/4)
    • HNL - OGG (5/4)
    • OGG - HNL (5/9)
  • HNL - SFO (5/12)
  • SFO - WAS (5/18)

I checked the ANA award utility and it shows 85k per person for that same itinerary. (!!) Didn't see an option for one-way tickets on the ANA site above - it expects a return flight.

Miles:
  • United #1: 56k
  • United #2: 65k
  • ANA #1: 13,077
  • ANA #2: 13,077
  • US Airways: 19,598

If we book separately, we have enough United miles for WAS - HNL - SFO.
Haven't figured out SFO - WAS or HNL - OGG.

Help!!
The programs are all independent and there is no way to "dip" into other programs to make a trips. That said, United Mileage Plus allows one-way trips, so you could book WAS-OGG and HNL-WAS......... what you want a destination and two stop-overs on one tickets, but you mainly have united miles. I don't see a way to do that with your current miles. If you could somehow boost one of your United accounts so you could book WAS-OGG, HNL-SFO-WAS as a round trip with an open-jaw and a stop-over, then you could use ANA or United miles for the short island hop ticket.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:10 pm

Need a few miles

Darn, but I waited until the last minute..........can anyone help me.

Called to make an award reservation, however I must of performed some sort of bookkeeping error and realized I am now about 840 miles short for my planned award. In any case UAL said they'd hold the rez for 48 hours while I sweat out a points--> miles transfer from Hotel HY to UAL. After doing the electronic transfer got a message from Hotel HY saying the transfer will take up to 6 weeks. (Oh no!!!!) Is this what others have experienced AND IF so has anyone performed some magic so they could top off their UAL account with a needed 860 miles real quickly (i.e. < 48 hours).

A possible complication is that the reservation is actually on another Star Alliance partner (using UAL miles) for International travel and the rules for buying miles on UAL (for just such a situation) seem to imply that there is no immediate crediting of the newly purchased miles when such is the case.

I called the Service Center in hopes that I could xfer any miles my wife had in her account to me, but we both forget what her PIN and Password are for UAL (she hasn't had need to use the account in many years). They said (at least the off-shore rep. said) as such they could now only mail her a new PIN, which they are doing. I don't think it will arrive in 48 hours.

Who in the decision making process at UAL might be of help.

We had planned a long involved vacation and this is the keystone leg in making it all come together.

Other ideas would be much appreciated please.

SAS

Your help is much appreciated.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:19 pm

If the hotel deal doesn't work (never transferred Hyatt points as I prefer my Hyatt points at Hyatt), you can just purchase the miles:

http://www.ualmiles.com/PersonalMiles.jsp?

Should show up within a few hours (usually less) and you can use those RDM miles just like any other earned miles.

As for your wife's account, you can try resetting the password here:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...esolution.aspx. However it sounds like that it's been pretty long since she accessed her account so the miles might have expired by now.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA
It probably doesn't help, but transferring from Chase is, in my experience, instantaneous. One thing you need to do, though, is log out and log back in. I guess that helps only if you have Chase points to transfer.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Need A Quick 500 Miles

Does anyone know of a quick way to get 500MP miles?

Can buy them of course, minimum 2K for $75.

My friend needs them posted quickly for an award flight.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 5, 2013 at 4:07 pm Reason: already an existing thread on this topic
Old Apr 5, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: CO-Plat/UA-1P, HHonors-Gold
Need A Quick 500 Miles

Fly the us air shuttle.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by BuckleandBoots
Fly the us air shuttle.
You get actual miles now, not 500 min (plus any premier multiplier).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.