Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Transfer miles from Chase or Marriott to UA
Beware for Chase this is an one-way transfer and for Marriott the return would lose points
This can take a few hours to a few days
Mile/Points transfers between UA & Marriott via RewardPlus - Questions/Experiences

Purchase Miles from UA
Currently, at 3.75 cents per mile, an expensive program but often has significant sales where miles are 2 to 2.5 cents per mile
This can take a few days

Award Accelerator
This is a more complex process but generally runs 2 to 2.5 cents per mile but hard to buy a specific amount
Miles post in a few hours at the most
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Transfer miles from another UA account
This costs 1.5 cents per mile (plus $30 fee)
Miles will post within 1 day
Generally considered a bad deal, as you can purchase the miles at about 2 cpm and not lose the miles in the other account
Short miles for award, What about transferring from another account? Alternatives?

Miles from Purchases (for small amounts)
Either via MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles
or MileagePlus Shopping
Posting time is variable

Credit Card signup bonuses
Cheapest approach but requires getting card approval and likely some card usage

An alternative is Book with Money and Miles -- What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?

Additional ways to earn miles
Also the slowest, as this will take months

e-Rewards® Opinion Panel

Print Wikipost

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2013, 4:45 am

I'm out of the country so I cant really do mileage runs at this time.
Old May 18, 2013, 10:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by imhere2stay
.... I need 2028 more miles to book a domestic one way travel on united. What will be the cheapest way to get these miles?
The cheapest ways are not fastest (promo bonus for purchases or new credit cards).
The fastest ways are not the cheapest. Purchase Personal Miles (3 cpm) or Award Accelerator (2-3 cpm).

Is speed important?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AMEX MR & SPG, United, AA, Delta
Need 44 points

I just reserved a trip to with 160K points, I am short of 44 points that I need to book the ticket. I know of 3 ways:
  • Chase Ultimate Reward: The minimum transfer is 1000, and I have only 880
  • Buy Miles: Prefer not to do this since I have plenty in the pipeline (Mileage Explorer and Chase UR)
  • Transfer: My wife has 5K but just realized that they want me to pay $30 to transfer 2,000.

The last option doesnt seems like a bad deal compare to buying but if there was any way I could quickly earn, that be preferred ...any thoughts?

thanks!!
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:33 am

Call/SM Chase and ask them to give you a 200-point "courtesy bonus" for being a loyal customer. It's such a small amount they will likely comply. Be very nice.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Call/SM Chase and ask them to give you a 200-point "courtesy bonus" for being a loyal customer. It's such a small amount they will likely comply. Be very nice.
Ask for only 110.

Or book PHL-EWR, buy the miles (~2 cents apiece - so ~$10 if you are Elite (500 minimum), much less if you are not).

Huge thread on "award accelerator" will give you the details.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:48 am

Just buy the miles. $25/1000 UR points.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AMEX MR & SPG, United, AA, Delta
thank you

Thank you all, for your input.

I SM Chase and request the exactly the number of points I was short, to initiate the transfer and they awarded me right away.

thanks again!
Old Jul 2, 2013, 6:47 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Ideas needed for 3K miles quickly

So, I have an award on hold that expires tonite at midnight. One I would really like... I currently am sitting at 277K miles; the award needs 280K miles for the two tickets.. 3K short....

My plan was to buy 3K Ultimate rewards points and transfer them...

Great plan except....

So, now I need to get 3K miles quickly... it's a complex award that I can only ticket over the phone. WIll they allow me to purchase the 3K miles over the phone? The United miles purchase page states that miles may take 48 hours to post... which I'm not terribly interested in....

Thanks for ideas/help!
FDW

Last edited by FlyingDoctorwu; Jul 2, 2013 at 6:56 pm
Old Jul 2, 2013, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Book a ticket, any ticket over 1500 miles, now.

After it tickets, purchase Premier Accelerator.

Once the miles post, cancel your ticket, and book the award ticket.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 6:57 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by aacharya
Book a ticket, any ticket over 1500 miles, now.

After it tickets, purchase Premier Accelerator.

Once the miles post, cancel your ticket, and book the award ticket.
How long does it take for the miles to post typically?

Not a bad idea...

FDW
Old Jul 2, 2013, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
How long does it take for the miles to post typically?

Not a bad idea...

FDW
Almost instantly.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:29 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

I was offered the opportunity to buy the miles when ticketing. I went ahead and did that just to ensure everything ticketed ok.

FDW
Old Jul 27, 2013, 7:24 pm

Slight predicament, trying to acquire miles for (1) one-way saver ticket

So my family and I are in BKK and flying back home to NY for the holidays. Of course routing isn't perfect based on saver awards, but either way I will end up cheaper than the 6-7K for roundtrip tickets for the 4 of us (2 adults, 2 children)

Anyway, so here is the drama. I have enough in my account for 4 one-way tickets back to NY, so that's easy enough. Between the 4 of us, they will still all have enough to book one way back, but unfortunately, I will be short of miles! My original thought was book the same itinerary, pay cash for the ticket, no big deal but the odd routing makes it close to 2-3K just for the one way ticket on the same flight!

I signed up for the United Credit Card to get the miles, but I'm not sure I can spend and post the miles soon enough to risk not being on the same flight.

I missed the last deal on miles, of course by 1 day, and probably would have just purchased the miles and called it a day.

Any other options? I am a Chase Preferred cardholder but we can no longer buy points from them.

I just want to get this done soon so I don't lose out on Saver Award travel.

Thanks all, I know you are an active and creative bunch!
Old Jul 27, 2013, 7:56 pm

Programs: Any program with a credit card, or good prices.
Are you a US Airways member? Do you have the 100% point purchase bonus right now? Could you get the flight via a US Airways award by buying miles. (Does US do one way awards?)
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:04 pm

I am not currently a US Airways Member

I could always just purchase the miles via UNITED to supplement and buy the 4th of the one way tickets. I really don't want to book a separate ticket from US AIRWAYS unless I have two. I feel like two much could go wrong and next thing you know the family is split up on our way from NY to BKK. Long flight with kids to have that kind of problem. Had I not missed the 30 or 40% promos, I would have just bought the last 30K miles or so (whatever the math came to)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.