Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Transfer miles from Chase or Marriott to UA
Beware for Chase this is an one-way transfer and for Marriott the return would lose points
This can take a few hours to a few days
Mile/Points transfers between UA & Marriott via RewardPlus - Questions/Experiences

Purchase Miles from UA
Currently, at 3.75 cents per mile, an expensive program but often has significant sales where miles are 2 to 2.5 cents per mile
This can take a few days

Award Accelerator
This is a more complex process but generally runs 2 to 2.5 cents per mile but hard to buy a specific amount
Miles post in a few hours at the most
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Transfer miles from another UA account
This costs 1.5 cents per mile (plus $30 fee)
Miles will post within 1 day
Generally considered a bad deal, as you can purchase the miles at about 2 cpm and not lose the miles in the other account
Short miles for award, What about transferring from another account? Alternatives?

Miles from Purchases (for small amounts)
Either via MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles
or MileagePlus Shopping
Posting time is variable

Credit Card signup bonuses
Cheapest approach but requires getting card approval and likely some card usage

An alternative is Book with Money and Miles -- What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?

Additional ways to earn miles
Also the slowest, as this will take months

e-Rewards® Opinion Panel

Print Wikipost

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Alec84
Thank you! This site is absolutely fantastic! You get responses quicker than when contacting companies and most often people here know much better than the representatives.
Well, in your case, it is better to do the 31 miles via Award Accelerator, and the 3000 via a transfer. I don't think WineCountryUA read through your post entirely.

Definitely do the 31 miles via Award Accelerator (should be a dollar or so).
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aacharya
... Definitely do the 31 miles via Award Accelerator (should be a dollar or so).
Creating an award accelerator offer for 31 miles may not be easy.

For elites, the 500 mile min would be a limitation plus many elites are seeing min offers of 2-3x the base rate (1000, 1500 miles)
For non-elites, it may be possible to get simple base mile offers (need to check but minimums I'm aware of are in the 50-60 mile zone).
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:33 am

800 UA Miles from Hotels needed - ideas?

With regards to the United Hotel transfer promo, I'm 800 miles short of a threshold.

Just wondering if anyone has any clever ideas on the cheapest way to get the required number of points in any of the participating hotel programs to generate 800 UA miles and hit the bonus...

Open to any suggestions. I'm UK based and not got any US travel planned for this month so physical stays at US properties are not a viable option.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:03 am

If you don't have spare points lying around, you could just buy some points.

If you have at least 5K PC points, you can use the cash and points trick to buy some cheap miles and then convert at 5:1 in increments of 10K. This is likely what I'll be doing if I find myself short and is about as tricky as I am capable of for now.

If you prefer to hit it more exactly, you can buy 5K Choice Privileges points for $55 or 10K Club Carlson points for $70 and convert either of those into 1K United.

There are probably other buy options, but I think these are the cheapest.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:43 am

Thanks, that's not a bad idea. Dont have any PC points, but the other options sound reasonable
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Premier Member, Hertz #1 Club Gold, National Emerald Club
Need to Obtain 38,000 Miles in 6 Months

Hi All,

I don't post much here though appreciate the wealth of information many of you provide. I'm a regular MP member with approximately 38,000 miles in my account. I need another approximately 38,000 miles in order for the two adults and two children (one lap infant and one 2 year-old that requires a seat) in my family to fly from ORD-SNA round trip in late September 2013 on saver fares. I do have the United Chase Select card (or whatever they call the card that gives you 5,000 miles annually, 1 mile each dollar spend, 2 miles for each dollar spend on home improvement, groceries, gas and dining and 3 miles per dollar spent on UAL purchases).

Any suggestions on how to "rack-up" the miles I need sooner than later?

Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Fly, and if that doesn't work you can always buy some if that is more cost effective than just buying the tickets.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, meet the $3,000 spend requirement, get 40,000 bonus Ultimate Rewards points, and convert what you need to Mileage Plus points. If there is a Chase branch near you, apply in person, and you may get the same bonus with only $2,000 in spend.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:55 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PTEM
Hi All,

I don't post much here though appreciate the wealth of information many of you provide. I'm a regular MP member with approximately 38,000 miles in my account. I need another approximately 38,000 miles in order for the two adults and two children (one lap infant and one 2 year-old that requires a seat) in my family to fly from ORD-SNA round trip in late September 2013 on saver fares. I do have the United Chase Select card (or whatever they call the card that gives you 5,000 miles annually, 1 mile each dollar spend, 2 miles for each dollar spend on home improvement, groceries, gas and dining and 3 miles per dollar spent on UAL purchases).

Any suggestions on how to "rack-up" the miles I need sooner than later?

Thanks!
Charge $19K to you Select Card at Home Depot on a home improvement project.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:45 pm

best way to 10,000 miles

Hello,
I need 10,000 United miles for a ticket I need to book in three to four weeks. I can buy the miles for about 200 dollars, with a flight I'm taking tomorrow, but I was wondering, is there a better way to get the miles? I'm not finding anything in their current promotions but thought someone here might have an idea.
Thanks in advance.
Tom
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TomR777
Hello,
I need 10,000 United miles for a ticket I need to book in three to four weeks. I can buy the miles for about 200 dollars, with a flight I'm taking tomorrow, but I was wondering, is there a better way to get the miles?...
2 cpm (cents per mile) via Award Accelerator (the method you are seeing) is probably the present cheapest method for buying miles. It is also possible to get miles as a bonus for signing up for a credit card -- takes some time but essentially free.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html
Old Dec 15, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by jumbotusk
I want to book a OW award that is currently available for 12,500 miles, but I just realized I only have 10,000 miles currently. Anyone have any tips for getting 2,500 miles in a hurry that doesn't involve signing up for new credit cards.

-Flying UA/a MR is not an option
-Credit cards are not an option
-Need to travel soon - so no partner activities which take more than 3-4 weeks to post are an option

Worse comes to worse, I can always transfer 5,000 SPG points to United, but I'd prefer not to because of the terrible 2:1 ratio and the high opportunity cost of using SPG points in this way.
Send an email to United complaining about [insert item here] on a previous flight. Should net some extra RDM. As a 1K, they have responded within 24 hours lately. It probably isn't a good idea to use this as a long term strategy, but hey you asked.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
Need 6.4K miles for elite status qualification

My wife is 6.4K miles behind from hitting UA 1K.

We will fly out of SFO. What can we do to get her to qualify for 1K this year in the most cost effective manner. We fly often with our families for vacation and this would be super helpful.

Thanks in advance for your great advice!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 2:54 pm

Welcome to FT!, flymilehigh
Originally Posted by flymilehigh
My wife is 6.4K miles behind from hitting UA 1K.

We will fly out of SFO. What can we do to get her to qualify for 1K this year in the most cost effective manner.
at this point it is
Fly / Mileage Run (MR) -- cheapest but most time consuming
or purchase PQMs.
At this point, cheap is becoming relative, there is no inexpensive way this late in the year.

This thread concerns awards miles, not elite/status miles but lots of discussion (and more detail) in

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...maximizer.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tor-rates.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...us-thread.html

One last option if you have a Chase MP/OP branded card is to use ChoicePoints (RDMs earned from credit card activities) to purchase PQMs. This is probably the cheapest approach and you can get up to 5K PQMs (in 1K PQM for 10K ChoicePoint RDMs increments)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questions.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-primer.html

good luck
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:45 pm

Hi there,

I'm pretty novice to this whole game and really blew it this year - I flew 30,000 miles on a partner airline thinking I would get EQM out of it, and only got 8000 due to strict ticketing rules. Live and learn.

Well, disaster upon disaster, I ended the year 800 miles short of Silver. Googled around and could find no way outside of a mileage run to make up the difference. Just didn't have the time to do that. Now I find this thread! Boy I wish I had found it before! Probably would have cost me $100 to solve the problem.

So my question is - is there anyway to get these 800 miles in January to count towards 2012? I seem to recall being offered a buy up a couple years ago.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.