Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Transfer miles from Chase or Marriott to UA
Beware for Chase this is an one-way transfer and for Marriott the return would lose points
This can take a few hours to a few days
Mile/Points transfers between UA & Marriott via RewardPlus - Questions/Experiences

Purchase Miles from UA
Currently, at 3.75 cents per mile, an expensive program but often has significant sales where miles are 2 to 2.5 cents per mile
This can take a few days

Award Accelerator
This is a more complex process but generally runs 2 to 2.5 cents per mile but hard to buy a specific amount
Miles post in a few hours at the most
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Transfer miles from another UA account
This costs 1.5 cents per mile (plus $30 fee)
Miles will post within 1 day
Generally considered a bad deal, as you can purchase the miles at about 2 cpm and not lose the miles in the other account
Short miles for award, What about transferring from another account? Alternatives?

Miles from Purchases (for small amounts)
Either via MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles
or MileagePlus Shopping
Posting time is variable

Credit Card signup bonuses
Cheapest approach but requires getting card approval and likely some card usage

An alternative is Book with Money and Miles -- What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?

Additional ways to earn miles
Also the slowest, as this will take months

e-Rewards® Opinion Panel

Print Wikipost

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2011, 5:59 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA 1P, UA RCC, Hertz Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver, SPG Gold
Why does everyone overlook sending flowers? I routinely receive 1250+ for sending flowers to people. Mom, wife, mother-in-law, etc. It kills two birds with one stone - flowers and miles. That way I don't feel like I'm wasting time/money on a product I don't want. Mother's day gained me quite a few brownie points along with UA miles.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: United
1st Time Post - Need 12,000 Miles

I want to use miles to buy a flight form SFO - FRA this month and I'm 12,000 miles short. I've already signed up for Netflix and MyPoints to get down to 12k - but was wondering what the best route to get to 12,000 miles is is. Thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1K SPG Plat HHonors Diamond
Credit card bonus....

You can get the united visa card....if you have that already....get the one pass plus MC card and transfer the miles from CO. Easy 30k or even 60k or so.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
There's only one day left in this month (June) so your options are limited. Even a transfer/purchase of miles takes 24-48 hours generally.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Does XY still available? I think that should be the question.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by camachinist
There's only one day left in this month (June) so your options are limited. Even a transfer/purchase of miles takes 24-48 hours generally.
For this month meant by end of July

Actually put in for the OnePass card. Thanks for the CO suggestions! Will see if that makes it in time - but hoping for other options that might get me there too...
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
It's unlikely the credit card bonus strategy will work if you must book by the end of July. The miles post at or after the first statement closing date, generally ~one month after card approval and/or activation.

Have you calculated the cost/benefit ratio of reimbursing the transfer fee to someone willing to donate the miles?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by camachinist
It's unlikely the credit card bonus strategy will work if you must book by the end of July. The miles post at or after the first statement closing date, generally ~one month after card approval and/or activation.

Have you calculated the cost/benefit ratio of reimbursing the transfer fee to someone willing to donate the miles?
Hadn't even considered that... Looks like a $180 cost for a $500 benefit.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 5:10 pm

Quick way of getting 100 miles ??

I am 99 miles short of a reward I'd like to book this week.

I looked into downloading that Mileage Plus Shopping toolbar that gives you 100 free miles a month, but the FAQ said they won't be credited for 60 days.

Any suggestions to get 100 miles?
Old Sep 7, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Since you need to book this week, I think your only option is to buy miles. The lowest amount is 2,000.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by linsj
Since you need to book this week, I think your only option is to buy miles. The lowest amount is 2,000.
Flowers? Purchasing a meal at one of the MP Dining places?
Old Sep 7, 2011, 8:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by harryhood
Flowers? Purchasing a meal at one of the MP Dining places?
OP needs the miles now. Purchases, other than miles, will not post soon enough.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by linsj
I suspect that is the best advice given that the FAQ's for the shopping credit say 8 weeks (not sure if this is really the case though but I doubt it is a few days).

FWIW, my daughter is 1 mile short of a domestic saver award!! No way I am dropping $75 in purchased miles to round that out before the next trip. Will do some proactive shopping for something I really do not need...
Old Sep 7, 2011, 8:24 pm

You can get a 100 miles at Continental by going here:

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...tions/all.aspx

There are a few 100 mile registrations like "Enjoy In-Flight Discounts + 100 Bonus Miles". You earn these miles by just registering. Once they post, you can transfer them to your MP account using the transfer tool. Not sure how fast they post tho as I've done most of these awhile ago.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by edcho
You can get a 100 miles at Continental by going here:

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...tions/all.aspx

There are a few 100 mile registrations like "Enjoy In-Flight Discounts + 100 Bonus Miles". You earn these miles by just registering. Once they post, you can transfer them to your MP account using the transfer tool. Not sure how fast they post tho as I've done most of these awhile ago.
You need 1,000 miles to transfer, I believe. Can you just buy the miles? I signed up for Netflix through Continental's mileage mall and the points posted within a week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.