Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Transfer miles from Chase or Marriott to UA
Beware for Chase this is an one-way transfer and for Marriott the return would lose points
This can take a few hours to a few days
Mile/Points transfers between UA & Marriott via RewardPlus - Questions/Experiences

Purchase Miles from UA
Currently, at 3.75 cents per mile, an expensive program but often has significant sales where miles are 2 to 2.5 cents per mile
This can take a few days

Award Accelerator
This is a more complex process but generally runs 2 to 2.5 cents per mile but hard to buy a specific amount
Miles post in a few hours at the most
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Transfer miles from another UA account
This costs 1.5 cents per mile (plus $30 fee)
Miles will post within 1 day
Generally considered a bad deal, as you can purchase the miles at about 2 cpm and not lose the miles in the other account
Short miles for award, What about transferring from another account? Alternatives?

Miles from Purchases (for small amounts)
Either via MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles
or MileagePlus Shopping
Posting time is variable

Credit Card signup bonuses
Cheapest approach but requires getting card approval and likely some card usage

An alternative is Book with Money and Miles -- What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?

Additional ways to earn miles
Also the slowest, as this will take months

e-Rewards® Opinion Panel

Print Wikipost

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, National Emerald, Hertz Club Gold
Anybody have any suggestions on a easy way to get 1700 miles quickly?

1700 miles!

I just saw this promotion: http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,53378,00.html

and I need 1700 miles in order to get 16000 miles and a round trip from Chicago to Baltimore.

Anybody have any suggestions on a easy way to get 1700 miles quickly?

I do have enough Starwood SPG points in order to transfer, but a) it's at a 2:1 ratio, and b) I'm not sure how fast they are in transferring points.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 10, 2011 at 5:30 pm Reason: terrible thread title http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q63
Old Sep 10, 2011, 3:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
You did not mention if it is UA MP or CO OP miles you need.

It now possible to move miles between UA MP / CO OP if you have both accounts.

As for UA MP miles, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html

Makes sure the reduced mielage tickets are available for the days you want -- they are not available all days.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 4:36 pm

starwood took me 30 days to transfer. you know anyone you can transfer 2K miles from? or buy 2K miles but that gets pricey.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 6:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, National Emerald, Hertz Club Gold
UA MP. Yeah, 2k miles is like $75... that's a lot. Is that $75 worth essentially 11k miles? Hmmm...
Old Sep 30, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: AA: EXP
How to get 150 miles ASAP

I still need 150 miles for my next reward ticket. and the UA credit card is not a possible option for me. any clues?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 8:47 am

Either do some shopping through the MileagePlus mall or buy the mikes from United.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 8:50 am
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
MP Dining

My dines post very quickly, and you can get 150 miles for $50 of spend.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Originally Posted by thaijplily
I still need 150 miles for my next reward ticket. and the UA credit card is not a possible option for me. any clues?
I would book a fully refundable ticket for a 150 mile triple. Then buy award accelerator miles and cancel the trip. You get to keep the miles and the accelerator will cost you very little. IAD-JFK might be a good option.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:37 am

Need 775 miles

I've lived in Europe for many years now but still have a United account for my *A. It has taken me years to finally reach enough miles to get a trip, and so I was hoping to just book an economy round trip for this summer with United (within Europe), and after that 'start fresh' with Lufthansa Miles & More, which would probably be more convenient for me.

Only problem is I am just about 775 miles short! I can buy 2000 miles at 75 dollars, but that seems OTT for such few miles that I actually need.

Does anyone have any tips on how I could get 775 in the coming few weeks, so I can make this award booking?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:10 am

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
The CO site should offer you 1k miles for $30 and you can link a CO account with a UA account to transfer miles.

(CO's award booking system is better too.)
Old Feb 1, 2012, 4:10 pm

Is that quickly enough done even if I don't have a CO account at the moment?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:05 am

Continental now also says:
Minimum purchase of 2,000 miles per account
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:59 pm

What's the Cheapest and Fastest Way to Earn [XXXX] MileagePlus Miles?

Newbie here. I need help, 1k miles pronto!

I have the credit card and already did the Netflix 4000 bonus.

I am thinking of buying flowers from the United store that will give 1000miles. I am just not sure how quick will the miles be credited to my account.

Any other ideas?
Old Mar 8, 2012, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Buy them. Don't kill yourself otherwise if you need them right away.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:20 am

Short 40k United Miles, ideas?

Hey guys, Long time lurker here--you are all amazing!

So I totally botched planning a trip we're taking in October. I thought I needed 120k miles but it turns out I need 160k. My last ditch effort involves earning the Chase Sapphire 40k reward in hopes I can get the points quick and transfer them without a problem. I'm loath to act this rashly. Also if I remember correctly it took almost a month to get the points transferred to United. But I think I'm stuck.

Can anyone think of another better way to earn 40k in 6 weeks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.