Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Transfer miles from Chase or Marriott to UA
Beware for Chase this is an one-way transfer and for Marriott the return would lose points
This can take a few hours to a few days
Mile/Points transfers between UA & Marriott via RewardPlus - Questions/Experiences

Purchase Miles from UA
Currently, at 3.75 cents per mile, an expensive program but often has significant sales where miles are 2 to 2.5 cents per mile
This can take a few days

Award Accelerator
This is a more complex process but generally runs 2 to 2.5 cents per mile but hard to buy a specific amount
Miles post in a few hours at the most
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Transfer miles from another UA account
This costs 1.5 cents per mile (plus $30 fee)
Miles will post within 1 day
Generally considered a bad deal, as you can purchase the miles at about 2 cpm and not lose the miles in the other account
Short miles for award, What about transferring from another account? Alternatives?

Miles from Purchases (for small amounts)
Either via MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles
or MileagePlus Shopping
Posting time is variable

Credit Card signup bonuses
Cheapest approach but requires getting card approval and likely some card usage

An alternative is Book with Money and Miles -- What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?

Additional ways to earn miles
Also the slowest, as this will take months

e-Rewards® Opinion Panel

Print Wikipost

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 5:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cvarming
I was short 75 miles for an award and successfully used the award accelerator to by a 200 miles for $7. ....
^ well played
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Originally Posted by dougb
My wife is trying to get to Hawaii and there is a Saver Award of 20K miles + $240. I am short 4K miles. I could purchase for $165 but was wondering if anyone has suggestions for a cheaper way to get these miles or maybe even get me to 40K for a full award for the flight.

Any help would be appreciated
If you want to save $30 you can use the fully refundable ticket trick I posted above. For instance, IAD-LAS is 2066 miles apart, and I just saw fully refundable tickets for $900.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 6:51 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
I was short 75 miles for an award and successfully used the award accelerator to buy 200 miles for $7.

Yesterday I purchased a fully refundable ticket between two cities roughly 200 miles apart. At the time of purchase I also got the award accelerator for $7. This morning the accelerated miles was posted and I requested a refund for the ticket. It was all done online with little effort from my side.

It is good to know that Award Accelerator is good for something.
Damn, if I had only read your post and fantastic idea before losing my award seat (I needed a few miles to get a ticket but the award seat disappeared before I found a solution!)

Good stuff by the way...
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Award accelerator

I am not sure if there is a specific thread that keeps track of Award Accelerator prices, but I have managed to get it all the way down to 2c per mile, by using trans-continental refundable fares.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
I'm UK based, does anyone know of any good bonus miles schemes for us Brits? There rarely if ever seem to be ones posted on unitedairlines.co.uk and the ones on united.com are all for US residents.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 2:47 pm

I am not sure if there is a specific thread that keeps track of Award Accelerator prices, but I have managed to get it all the way down to 2c per mile, by using trans-continental refundable fares.
I'm just surprised they don't post the accelerator miles AFTER the actual flight is flown.

People should post their successes so others can duplicate at certain mileage thresholds.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:33 am

Earn or Transfer 5k?

I wish to have 5k more to bring it up to 75k on my United.

I don't travel as part of the work any more - any bonus offers to earn?

Can I transfer from my AMEX MRewards - if so what is the fee?

Thanks
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:38 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by sciconf

Thanks
5k is just a transcend. Earn it!
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: UA

Thanks
You can not directly transfer from Amex MRewards.
You can transfer into the Continental program (until September) and when the 2 programs merge you would have the points but thats not before 2012.

Last edited by German Expat; Mar 2, 2011 at 10:04 am
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I wish to have 5k more to bring it up to 75k on my United. ....
Are you talking about miles to redeem for awards? Call RDMs.
or are you talking about elite qualifying miles used for status determinination? Call EQMs?

Transfer RDMs from AMEX to UA MP is not a very good deal -- you can transfer to CO's OnePass program and at the end of 2011 they will be merged with the UA MP miles.

There are ways using credit cards from Chase to earn UA MP RDMs -- either as signup bonuses or miles for spending. You can always earn miles from purchasing from various merchants.

also see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html
Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by joedish
You can sign up for a Chase MileagePlus Visa card (advertised on this site). That will get you at least 30,000 miles after $250 spend.
I did get 50k on a recent sign up bonus - How long should lapse, before I try again?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:31 pm

I did get 50k on a recent sign up bonus - How long should lapse, before I try again?
need to read the T&Cs -- typically you need to keep the card atleast 6 months or the miles can be withdrawn. As for applying again, it seems to vary but >1 year has work for others.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:40 pm

Newbie question: what is the fastest way to get 10k ua miles?

If I buy ua miles, how much for 10k?
Is there any other way except for transferring from ua to co or transferring from spg to co?
Thank you
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:46 pm

Programs: United Premier, Air France Silver, AAdvantage, Matmid Gold
Originally Posted by applenew
If I buy ua miles, how much for 10k?
Is there any other way except for transferring from ua to co or transferring from spg to co?
Thank you
EQM's or award miles?
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
To see how much miles are to purchase, see http://www.ualmiles.com/PersonalMiles.jsp (it's different for different people, so nobody else can necessarily quote your price).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.