Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Transfer miles from Chase or Marriott to UA
Beware for Chase this is an one-way transfer and for Marriott the return would lose points
This can take a few hours to a few days
Mile/Points transfers between UA & Marriott via RewardPlus - Questions/Experiences

Purchase Miles from UA
Currently, at 3.75 cents per mile, an expensive program but often has significant sales where miles are 2 to 2.5 cents per mile
This can take a few days

Award Accelerator
This is a more complex process but generally runs 2 to 2.5 cents per mile but hard to buy a specific amount
Miles post in a few hours at the most
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Transfer miles from another UA account
This costs 1.5 cents per mile (plus $30 fee)
Miles will post within 1 day
Generally considered a bad deal, as you can purchase the miles at about 2 cpm and not lose the miles in the other account
Short miles for award, What about transferring from another account? Alternatives?

Miles from Purchases (for small amounts)
Either via MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles
or MileagePlus Shopping
Posting time is variable

Credit Card signup bonuses
Cheapest approach but requires getting card approval and likely some card usage

An alternative is Book with Money and Miles -- What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?

Additional ways to earn miles
Also the slowest, as this will take months

e-Rewards® Opinion Panel

Print Wikipost

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2023, 12:36 am

Need miles to book a flight

Hi everyone,

I am planning a trip with my husband from California to Colombia. The returning flight with United from MED to SFO costs 22k miles per person = 45k miles for two.
We're planning transferring Chase miles to United but we're missing 4k miles in order to book the flight.
We'd like to book these flights asap and are thinking about the best way to get these additional 4k miles without paying for the miles or paying as little as possible.

We have come up with 2 options and would like to know your thoughts and any additional tips if any:

1) Buy awards accelerator = 14k miles for 319$
2) Book hotels for our upcoming Colombia trip through Chase portal (spend around 500$ since we get 10x 1$ in miles) so we get these additional points and can transfer them to United to book the flights.

Has anyone any other good solutions here?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by cepedi24
Hi everyone,

I am planning a trip with my husband from California to Colombia. The returning flight with United from MED to SFO costs 22k miles per person = 45k miles for two.
We're planning transferring Chase miles to United but we're missing 4k miles in order to book the flight.
We'd like to book these flights asap and are thinking about the best way to get these additional 4k miles without paying for the miles or paying as little as possible.

We have come up with 2 options and would like to know your thoughts and any additional tips if any:

1) Buy awards accelerator = 14k miles for 319$
2) Book hotels for our upcoming Colombia trip through Chase portal (spend around 500$ since we get 10x 1$ in miles) so we get these additional points and can transfer them to United to book the flights.

Has anyone any other good solutions here?

Thanks in advance.
MED is Medina, Saudi Arabia. Perhaps you mean MDE for Medellin, Colombia?

In any event, you can buy miles for $35/1000 directly from United. So 4000 UA miles would be $140 (plus about $10 for "tax recovery fee"). Purchase here. Another good option is to transfer Chase UR points to UA. That's an instantaneous transfer, but you may not have the points for that now because I'm pretty sure you know about that option.

Oh - and WELCME to FT!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 11:57 am

Programs: UA LT Plat, 2.5mm, Hilton LTD, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Whatever
How much to transfer versus buy miles? (Mileage Plus web site down)

The United Mileage Plus web site isn't working today for access to the the transfer miles page, at least for me on any of my devices. My daughter needs an extra 13,000 miles for a trip later this year that she wants to book now. I am trying to determine if I transfer miles to her or if she just pays the amount quoted to add more miles when she gets to the purchase page. Which is cheaper?
Old Mar 10, 2023, 12:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by luke5111
The United Mileage Plus web site isn't working today for access to the the transfer miles page, at least for me on any of my devices. My daughter needs an extra 13,000 miles for a trip later this year that she wants to book now. I am trying to determine if I transfer miles to her or if she just pays the amount quoted to add more miles when she gets to the purchase page. Which is cheaper?
Both are bad deals
Transfers are 1.5cpm and new purchases are 3.5+ cpm

A better deal is Premier Award Acceleration, generally a 2 cpm -- more than the transfer but you keep you miles and she gets new milesBook with Miles and Money (if all UA itin) is another option

See summary in Wiki
Old Mar 10, 2023, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat, 2.5mm, Hilton LTD, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Whatever
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Both are bad deals
Transfers are 1.5cpm and new purchases are 3.5+ cpm

A better deal is Premier Award Acceleration, generally a 2 cpm -- more than the transfer but you keep you miles and she gets new milesBook with Miles and Money (if all UA itin) is another option

See summary in Wiki
Thanks WCUA

I thought I'd responded to this but can't find that now. My daughter ended up doing the Award Accelerator and she's very happy with the result. Her flights are all booked now and she appreciates the advice. Thanks from me too!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 2:19 pm

Best way to get 431 miles quickly?

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, but can anyone recommend the cheapest way to get 431 United miles in the next couple of days? I'm just short for an award travel. The United pricing is about $40, which isn't bad. But just wondering if there is anything cheaper in the near term.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by sanjosanjo
I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, but can anyone recommend the cheapest way to get 431 United miles in the next couple of days? I'm just short for an award travel. The United pricing is about $40, which isn't bad. But just wondering if there is anything cheaper in the near term.
Best way... UA CC... $431 of needed purchases.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 7:14 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by Global321
Best way... UA CC... $431 of needed purchases.
Those miles won't be posted until the next CC statement, which may or may not be a couple of days...but probably the cheapest way for sure.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by VRFast
Those miles won't be posted until the next CC statement, which may or may not be a couple of days...but probably the cheapest way for sure.
Buying miles would be cheaper, $40 vs. $431.
VRFast likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post # 504)
Buying miles would be cheaper, $40 vs. $431.
Not If the credit card charges were normal expenses one were going to pay anyway, in which case the marginal cost of the latter is $0.

However, timeliness of receiving the miles may be an important consideration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.