Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Transfer miles from Chase or Marriott to UA
Beware for Chase this is an one-way transfer and for Marriott the return would lose points
This can take a few hours to a few days
Mile/Points transfers between UA & Marriott via RewardPlus - Questions/Experiences

Purchase Miles from UA
Currently, at 3.75 cents per mile, an expensive program but often has significant sales where miles are 2 to 2.5 cents per mile
This can take a few days

Award Accelerator
This is a more complex process but generally runs 2 to 2.5 cents per mile but hard to buy a specific amount
Miles post in a few hours at the most
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Transfer miles from another UA account
This costs 1.5 cents per mile (plus $30 fee)
Miles will post within 1 day
Generally considered a bad deal, as you can purchase the miles at about 2 cpm and not lose the miles in the other account
Short miles for award, What about transferring from another account? Alternatives?

Miles from Purchases (for small amounts)
Either via MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles
or MileagePlus Shopping
Posting time is variable

Credit Card signup bonuses
Cheapest approach but requires getting card approval and likely some card usage

An alternative is Book with Money and Miles -- What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?

Additional ways to earn miles
Also the slowest, as this will take months

e-Rewards® Opinion Panel

Print Wikipost

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There are many ways to get miles
- buy, transfer, from UA or partners ....
- earn miles from flying, purchases, ....
- credit card bonus or purchase earnings ....
each with its pros and cons

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...does-work.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html
Old Jun 20, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
beware if you're using the MP gift card exchange. it's great in theory, but just because a merchant is listed apparently does not mean that gift cards from that store will be accepted.
i needed a few miles to fund a family member's orphaned MP account, so i bought a gift card from payless (a listed merchant) to cash in since you pay cents on the dollar for those.... only to get a "we're sorry. this card cannot be accepted at the moment" error message. sure enough, i contacted their CS and payless is a no-go due to "technical difficulties".
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
What's the best way to get 1000 united miles?

One of my friends is short of 1000 miles (886 more precisely) for an award ticket. His travel will be in this August so he wants to fill the gap right now. I can help by transferring my Chase ultimate rewards points to him, but am concerned because Chase does shut down accounts for that practice. Could you please suggest any cheap way to help my friend to get the 1000 miles? Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 21, 2014 at 8:56 am Reason: Use existing thread please
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:32 am

How to make up for my being 20k RDMs short due to devaluation?

Hi All--I am now 20k miles short of booking award business seats to Greece thanks to this years devaluation of alliance award rates. Who has suggestions of how to make up the shortfall smartly and cheaply. Everything I read says don't buy miles, it's not a good value. We have 42 days before we need to book.

THANKS!
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
Sign up for a credit card, that will make up a bunch of miles. The chase card will give it to you. If you have done that, try to the SPG card - you can transfer miles to UA (or at least you could years ago). Paying for miles isnt the end of the world, and may be cheaper than buying another ticket.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by orlavagrl
Hi All--I am now 20k miles short of booking award business seats to Greece thanks to this years devaluation of alliance award rates. Who has suggestions of how to make up the shortfall smartly and cheaply. Everything I read says don't buy miles, it's not a good value. We have 42 days before we need to book.

THANKS!
DO you have a UA-branded Chase Card? And paying for miles might be worth it for a business award ticket.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Award Accelerate is pricing at 1.9 cpm for some, no posting delays, if award space is available now.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2014-a.html
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Award Accelerate is pricing at 1.9 cpm for some, no posting delays, if award space is available now.
Offering me 1.9 cpm on my reservations which is actually closer to 1.8 cpm if you have a UA Chase visa card that rewards double miles per dollar spent on purchases made with the airline.

At this price it gets a little tempting, but not unless you are going to redeem the miles fairly quickly and receive a decent value. IMO not much point in buying miles just to bank them.

SunLover
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:52 pm

1 miles short for award ticket, how to get 1 mile ASAP

I am 1 miles short for award ticket, how to get 1 mile ASAP.
I have explorer card but don't know if I will get it right away
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:58 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Buy miles from UA. The price won't be great, but you can get as few as 2000 miles bought directly from UA.

You can also book a short refundable itin, use Award Accelerator to buy the minimum miles offered (probably 2k miles, though I have gotten smaller offers). Award Accelerator will likely give you a cheaper cost per mile than the straight-up miles purchase above, by a cent or cent and a half per mile.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:11 pm

What if I pay my exploder card Balance before due date would it
post immediately
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by awesome75
What if I pay my exploder card Balance before due date would it
post immediately
No the miles post based on the billing cycle (and will post even you don't pay the balance -- bad idea but illustrates the separation of activities).

Call MPSC and maybe you get lucky -- especially if you have any status.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Originally Posted by awesome75
I am 1 miles short for award ticket, how to get 1 mile ASAP.
I have explorer card but don't know if I will get it right away
have you tried to book the ticket and click all the way through?
I have been in similar situation once and UA offered me the missing miles at a much cheaper rate than if I were to buy them prior to booking.
And if I remember correctly they offered exactly the number I needed as opposed to 1000 increments.

another option is if you have chase UR points you can instantly transfer 1000.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:37 pm

Programs: LH SEN,Flying Blue Platinum, BA GGL, Accor Diamond, HHONORS Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
how to get Miles out of the US

I need to generate some miles on my UA MilagePlus account, is there any possibility out of the US to get them fast? Any marketplace where I can change maybe change miles? (Delta, LH, BA, KLM etc) There is one C award available on my required day only on MilagePlus but not on Miles&More.

thanks for help...
mattanapura
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by mattanapura
I need to generate some miles on my UA MilagePlus account, i...
Miles can be purchased from UA at roughly 2 cpm via Award Accelerator -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2015-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.