Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Transfer miles from Chase or Marriott to UA
Beware for Chase this is an one-way transfer and for Marriott the return would lose points
This can take a few hours to a few days
Mile/Points transfers between UA & Marriott via RewardPlus - Questions/Experiences

Purchase Miles from UA
Currently, at 3.75 cents per mile, an expensive program but often has significant sales where miles are 2 to 2.5 cents per mile
This can take a few days

Award Accelerator
This is a more complex process but generally runs 2 to 2.5 cents per mile but hard to buy a specific amount
Miles post in a few hours at the most
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Transfer miles from another UA account
This costs 1.5 cents per mile (plus $30 fee)
Miles will post within 1 day
Generally considered a bad deal, as you can purchase the miles at about 2 cpm and not lose the miles in the other account
Short miles for award, What about transferring from another account? Alternatives?

Miles from Purchases (for small amounts)
Either via MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles
or MileagePlus Shopping
Posting time is variable

Credit Card signup bonuses
Cheapest approach but requires getting card approval and likely some card usage

An alternative is Book with Money and Miles -- What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?

Additional ways to earn miles
Also the slowest, as this will take months

e-Rewards® Opinion Panel

Print Wikipost

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cowboyguy
Buying 5k miles would cost me $200. Is there any cheaper alternative?
No it should be less than that.
Look at this blog post discussing the current rates: http://boardingarea.com/canadiankilo...ator-devalued/

Aren't the miles credited after you've completed the flight?
Not the award accelerator - you buy them right after you purchase a ticket and they are deposited to your account immediately.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by gusd
You should be able to buy the miles you need during the booking process of the ticket you want to book.
Also, as gusd points out, the UA site gives you the option of buying the need extra miles during the booking process. It looks at the reservation you're trying to book, checks against your miles, and says something like "Hmmm, you seem to be ___ miles short. Want to buy them now at the low, low price of $___ to complete the transaction?" All without going through the rigmarole of buying and the canceling a dummy reservation.

The only difference is that, as some have implied, the cpm may occasionally be a bit lower with a dummy reservation, though not much.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by sammyindc

Not the award accelerator - you buy them right after you purchase a ticket and they are deposited to your account immediately.
Originally Posted by vkykam
Sammyindc is talking about the Award Accelerator where it lets you buy additional miles for a flight. When viewing a booked reservation you will have the option to purchase additional miles which are posted shortly after purchase of the award accelerator and is separate than the miles posted after a flight.
Ok, I'll get the 2,500 award accelerator miles right away but the remaining 2,500 will be credited after the flight is completed, correct? Am I missing something here?

So as sammyindc suggested above, I'd like to book a flight and add miles accelerator to it. When searching for such a flight, my goal is to get as cheap flight as possible with the highest possible miles.

For e.g. I'm trying to book Dallas to Houston. The price for a round trip is around $140 but it only gives me 400 miles.

Please excuse my ignorance as I'm relatively new to United.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 29, 2014 at 9:23 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Ok, I'll get the 2,500 award accelerator miles right away but the remaining 2,500 will be credited after the flight is completed, correct? Am I missing something here?
You choose a flight (of over 2500 miles), then buy the accelerator miles, then cancel the flight. The purchased miles will get posted shortly after purchase.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
So as sammyindc suggested above, I'd like to book a flight and add miles accelerator to it. When searching for such a flight, my goal is to get as cheap flight as possible with the highest possible miles.
The price of the ticket is irrelevant, as you will cancel the ticket as soon as you purchase Award Accelerator. As long as you cancel within 24 hours, you will get a full refund, but you keep the miles you purchased through Award Accelerator.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The price of the ticket is irrelevant, as you will cancel the ticket as soon as you purchase Award Accelerator. As long as you cancel within 24 hours, you will get a full refund, but you keep the miles you purchased through Award Accelerator.
Wow this makes sense.

So I just found this flight from New York to Los Angeles, giving around 4,900 points for a "round trip".

Now I'll see how much is the miles accelerator costing me.

Should I buy flexible fare?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond

For e.g. I'm trying to book Dallas to Houston. The price for a round trip is around $140 but it only gives me 400 miles.

Please excuse my ignorance as I'm relatively new to United.
Step 1: Book a flight from IAD to SFO for example (price doesn't really matter since you can cancel it).

Step 2: Once your ticket is purchased and ticketed; go to your reservation page, you will see the option to buy miles.

Step 3: click on the link and it will give you two options at 2 different prices, select the one that gives you what you need.

step 4: Once you purchased the miles, cancel the ticket.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by sammyindc
Step 1: Book a flight from IAD to SFO for example (price doesn't really matter since you can cancel it).

Step 2: Once your ticket is purchased and ticketed; go to your reservation page, you will see the option to buy miles.

Step 3: click on the link and it will give you two options at 2 different prices, select the one that gives you what you need.

step 4: Once you purchased the miles, cancel the ticket.
Should I buy flexible fare? Because the other fare says its non-refundable

Edit: Nevermind. I just read this "All customers booking at united.com have the opportunity to request 100% refund within 24 hours of ticketing"
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
So I just found this flight from New York to Los Angeles, giving around 4,900 points for a "round trip".
The Mileage Accelerator offer is typically for 2x or 3x the miles you would earn for the trip, so you should look for something in the 1,700 mile range.

Should I buy flexible fare?
No need. You can cancel any ticket within 24 hours of booking for a full refund.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The Mileage Accelerator offer is typically for 2x or 3x the miles you would earn for the trip, so you should look for something in the 1,700 mile range.

No need. You can cancel any ticket within 24 hours of booking for a full refund.

Almost done. Thanks a lot fellow FTers. Now I get 2 options to select from:

3,000 miles for $93
6,000 miles for $186

So I should select the second option, right? because if I select the first one, I'll only get 3,000 and I need 5,000 in total. Obviously the remaining 3,000 would be posted after the flight is completed.

Am I heading in the right direction?

Almost done. Thanks a lot fellow FTers. Now I get 2 options to select from:

3,000 miles for $93
6,000 miles for $186

So I should select the second option, right? because if I select the first one, I'll only get 3,000 and I need 5,000 in total. Obviously the remaining 3,000 would be posted after the flight is completed.

Am I heading in the right direction?
Anyone?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 29, 2014 at 10:23 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Anyone?
Have you tried a different itinerary that will generate a mileage purchase closer to the actual # of miles that you need?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by transportprof
Have you tried a different itinerary that will generate a mileage purchase closer to the actual # of miles that you need?
No, because the option to buy miles is only shown after the ticket is purchased and ticketed. But I think it doesn't matter because no matter what itinerary I choose, the purchase rate is 3.1 cpm.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:52 pm

Miles available after Feb 1st, any solutions?

I have chase Ultimate award available on Feb 7th which is my next statement day. A 50000 miles shortage I have may mess up my whole plan, I have a Multi-cities reservation plan, but I can only hold the ticket for 48 hours which is not enough for my miles become available. Any solutions here? I don't want to wait until the devaluation of UA miles come out. It doesn't seems to be possible to borrow miles and i can't hold ticket for 7 days.
Any suggestions from Flyers are welcomed, thanks
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:57 pm

Welcome to FT, Obiekang!

With only three days to go before your deadline, the only realistic choices I see are to buy the miles or accept the fact that you'll have to get your award at the new rates.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
Unfortunately, your post count is too low to use Coupon Connection. You may have arranged a trade with someone else with a Sapphire account to front you the miles before the end of the month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.