Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Transfer miles from Chase or Marriott to UA
Beware for Chase this is an one-way transfer and for Marriott the return would lose points
This can take a few hours to a few days
Mile/Points transfers between UA & Marriott via RewardPlus - Questions/Experiences

Purchase Miles from UA
Currently, at 3.75 cents per mile, an expensive program but often has significant sales where miles are 2 to 2.5 cents per mile
This can take a few days

Award Accelerator
This is a more complex process but generally runs 2 to 2.5 cents per mile but hard to buy a specific amount
Miles post in a few hours at the most
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Transfer miles from another UA account
This costs 1.5 cents per mile (plus $30 fee)
Miles will post within 1 day
Generally considered a bad deal, as you can purchase the miles at about 2 cpm and not lose the miles in the other account
Short miles for award, What about transferring from another account? Alternatives?

Miles from Purchases (for small amounts)
Either via MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles
or MileagePlus Shopping
Posting time is variable

Credit Card signup bonuses
Cheapest approach but requires getting card approval and likely some card usage

An alternative is Book with Money and Miles -- What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?

Additional ways to earn miles
Also the slowest, as this will take months

e-Rewards® Opinion Panel

Print Wikipost

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by woodshampoo
.... Long flight with kids to have that kind of problem. Had I not missed the 30 or 40% promos, I would have just bought the last 30K miles or so (whatever the math came to)
miles are gneral available via Award Accellator for 2.1 cpm -- better than the 30%-40% off deals.
It takes some effort and need to read the threads carefully ..
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...maximizer.html (also about purchasing RDMs)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2013-a.html
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:49 pm

OP, this may be a long shot, but do you have time to do a quick MR now? Since miles post instantly. How many seats are left on that flight?

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
miles are gneral available via Award Accellator for 2.1 cpm -- better than the 30%-40% off deals.
It takes some effort and need to read the threads carefully ..
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...maximizer.html (also about purchases RDMs)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2013-a.html
I have a flight booked in September, if I buy the award accelerator (PQM OR RDMS) today, do my PQMs/RDMs post instantly? I have no idea...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 28, 2013 at 2:03 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:53 pm

It didn't say how many award seats were available, but there were definitely seats quite a few seats available on the return flight as it was mid January.

Honestly, MR, I'm not sure what that means. If the difference is only a few hundred bucks, I'm happy to pay the extra for piece of mind and knowing that everything is done.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I have a flight booked in September, if I buy the award accelerator (PQM OR RDMS) today, do my PQMs/RDMs post instantly? I have no idea...

Yes. Usually within a few hours, if not within 24.

+-ADT
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:59 pm

FYI you can still buy UR points, it's just been removed from the website. You can call or send a secure message.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:59 pm

It didn't say how many award seats were available, but there were definitely seats quite a few seats available on the return flight as it was mid January.

Honestly, MR, I'm not sure what that means. If the difference is only a few hundred bucks, I'm happy to pay the extra for piece of mind and knowing that everything is done.
http://travelsort.com/blog/united-ex...ted-fare-codes

If you read that link it will show you how to find out how many Saver Award seats are left on that flight. Let us know if you have any Qs.

MR is a mileage run, basically you fly somewhere around Asia (or really anywhere) for real cheap and you earn miles quickly and instantly. Though the award accelerator may be your best bet... how many miles u need?

Originally Posted by tegelad

Yes. Usually within a few hours, if not within 24.

+-ADT
thanks
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:07 pm

yeah with work the MR wouldn't be an option. I just wouldn't have the flexibility to do something like that.

I'll call UR and see how much the reward cost is just purchase as that may be the easiest to deal with.

I'll also look at the amount of seats on a flight before I book it. to make sure we can all get on the flight. I even though about just going the CSR route to make sure it's all on the up and up before it's booked.

So can I get award accelerator miles on award travel? So let's say I book today the OneWay for my family using my miles, will I be offered an accellerator that might give me enough miles for the one way return?
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:08 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
So can I get award accelerator miles on award travel? So let's say I book today the OneWay for my family using my miles, will I be offered an accellerator that might give me enough miles for the one way return?
Yes to both

Originally Posted by AZjohns
Yes to both
Edit to add: each passenger will be offered miles but now thinking, you can not combine them

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 28, 2013 at 2:03 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:15 pm

the max you can get (AFAIK) is triple the amount of miles that actual flight is. And like that poster above said, you can only do it for yourself. However, if you do it for one of your family members, you can transfer over 15,000 (in increments of 1,000) miles to your own account for the cost of 1.5 cents per mile.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:16 pm

I don't need to combine them really, and worst case I can pay to transfer miles between family members. Not optimal but once again, if it's done it's done and I'll sleep better!
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:18 pm

I don't need to combine them really, and worst case I can pay to transfer miles between family members. Not optimal but once again, if it's done it's done and I'll sleep better!
Ok, just do the math and see if it'll get you enough miles that you need. Triple the amount of miles of that flight route. You just need enough miles for one saver award for a one-way from NYC to BKK?
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:26 pm

Yep, the breakdown is this.. I have 130K, which equates to (4) saver tickets one way for all of us..

The rest of the family all have 40K miles, so after the one-way from NY (Buffalo actually), they have about 7-8K each. I will have zero. So I would just buy enough for the wifes account and possibly move miles between accounts to make sure we get 4 tickets on the return itinerary.

Does that make sense?
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:40 pm

Yep, the breakdown is this.. I have 130K, which equates to (4) saver tickets one way for all of us..

The rest of the family all have 40K miles, so after the one-way from NY (Buffalo actually), they have about 7-8K each. I will have zero. So I would just buy enough for the wifes account and possibly move miles between accounts to make sure we get 4 tickets on the return itinerary.

Does that make sense?
Yes that makes sense, only problem though is that you can only receive 15,000 miles a year in your UA account (from transfers). But after tripling your miles in miles accelerator you should have enough. How many miles is that flight?
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:42 pm

32,500 saver award since I have flexibility in dates... the only thing I worry about is I will be making 3 reservations coming back, (2) tickets on one account, and (1) ticket for each of the other accounts.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:49 pm

32,500 saver award since I have flexibility in dates... the only thing I worry about is I will be making 3 reservations coming back, (2) tickets on one account, and (1) ticket for each of the other accounts.
Actually I have another question and maybe someone else will hopefully chime in:

Does the award accelerator double/triple your miles on that actual flight path (i.e. 13,304 miles)? or the award cost (32,500 miles)? In regular revenue flights, they only double/triple the actual flight path.

Whatever the case, the flight should be long enough for you to earn enough miles and add in another 15K from your family members, and worse comes to worse, you can always buy extra miles for a higher price (but at least you'll get the miles).

So, yes, booking 3 different PNRs (reservations) may cause the availability to become scarce. What is the flight exactly? I can find how many Saver Award seats are left. (Which in worse case scenario again, you will have to buy MORE miles to book a standard award seat which are typically more than readily available).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.