FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/952078-consolidated-xxxx-ua-miles-short-award-how-get-them-quickly-merged-threads.html)

MaxMiles May 8, 2009 2:28 pm

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Trying to book 2 coach and 2 biz BWI to Australia and I am 445 miles short of the 430,000 I need. I tried to call the Mileage Plus line to see if they would cut me a break since I was so close but they said my only option is to pay $67.25 for 1,000 miles. I don't want to lose out on the seats that are available right now as it is tough to get the 4 tickets I want on the same flights and I am afraid they may disappear if I don't act VERY quickly (I dleayed a few days when I tried to set this up a few months ago na d everything disappeared on me. I have 500+ miles coming to me from a MileagePlusMall purchase I made a week and a half ago- but that will be a while before they show up in my account. Transfering from SPG is a better deal than paying $67.25, but that will take 2-4 weeks according to the website. Anyone have any ideas for me or do I just have to suck it up and pay the dough?

jcasner May 8, 2009 2:31 pm

Personally, the $67.25 would be worth it to me, and I think it's also the fastest way to get the miles.

kkjay77 May 8, 2009 2:32 pm

As C seats are much harder to grab than Y seats, I'd book C seats immediately.
Then you can purchase 1,000 miles, buy some flowers or whatever to earn 455 miles to redeem what's really not a difficult XY/NY seats.

Mark_K May 8, 2009 2:38 pm

Probably the only thing faster than the 48 hours you get with buying the miles is to go to the airport, find a destination at least 228 miles away, and BIS it.

MaxMiles May 8, 2009 2:40 pm

How long does it take for those flower miles to post though? I can't risk us being on two different flights. We did that to Tokyo and it wasn't good! If it is a week- then I'll wait, if it is a month, then I can't!

PTSBrian May 8, 2009 2:45 pm

All the MP Mall vendor miles have taken 2-4 weeks to post in my experience. Given the scenario and urgency level you've voiced, you should certainly fork over $67.25 and get the miles virtually instantly. It's still quite a bargain for 4 tickets to Australia. :)

ddrewboy May 8, 2009 2:53 pm

Pay for the miles and save your sanity. The cost is pretty small in the grand scheme of things.

regards,
drew

hungarianhc May 8, 2009 2:53 pm

If you can wait a week or so, Mileage Plus Dining would work - they're offering DOUBLE miles on mon / tues / wed. Take someone out to a mileage plus dining place on Monday night :D. Then wait a week. If you're concerned that your seats might be gone by then, then I'd say just buy the miles and be done with it.

MaxMiles May 8, 2009 2:54 pm

No doubt the $67.25 is worth it to seal the deal- I thought that there just might be a way I wasn't thinking of to get me over the hump without laying out the bucks. This forum is great for help like that. But hey, I will gladly pay the $67.25 if there is no better option!

kbissing Jun 11, 2009 2:58 pm

Quickest way to earn 1500 miles

What is the quickest way to earn 1500 miles? (don't have a problem buying something but would rather not)

unavaca Jun 11, 2009 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by kbissing (Post 11892830)
What is the quickest way to earn 1500 miles? (don't have a problem buying something but would rather not)

Up until two weeks ago, it was registering for the Twitter promo :D

kbissing Jun 11, 2009 3:08 pm

Yeah - saw that and MISSED out!

Any other suggestions?

Originally Posted by unavaca (Post 11892858)

fzwinter Jun 11, 2009 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by unavaca (Post 11892858)

In fact, just got my Twitter bonus to post! That was 1500 miles x 4 (registered for all of my family members)

gypsie Jun 11, 2009 3:12 pm

15,000 miles with Chase Checking Account

https://www.chase.com/index.jsp?pg_n...&ID=0000009117

mahasamatman Jun 11, 2009 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by gypsie (Post 11892924)

The OP said quick. From the T&C:

The first 10,000 bonus miles will be credited to your Mileage Plus Account 6-10 weeks after the initial direct deposit has posted to your new account.