FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:10 pm
steve-o

Need a few miles

Darn, but I waited until the last minute..........can anyone help me.

Called to make an award reservation, however I must of performed some sort of bookkeeping error and realized I am now about 840 miles short for my planned award. In any case UAL said they'd hold the rez for 48 hours while I sweat out a points--> miles transfer from Hotel HY to UAL. After doing the electronic transfer got a message from Hotel HY saying the transfer will take up to 6 weeks. (Oh no!!!!) Is this what others have experienced AND IF so has anyone performed some magic so they could top off their UAL account with a needed 860 miles real quickly (i.e. < 48 hours).

A possible complication is that the reservation is actually on another Star Alliance partner (using UAL miles) for International travel and the rules for buying miles on UAL (for just such a situation) seem to imply that there is no immediate crediting of the newly purchased miles when such is the case.

I called the Service Center in hopes that I could xfer any miles my wife had in her account to me, but we both forget what her PIN and Password are for UAL (she hasn't had need to use the account in many years). They said (at least the off-shore rep. said) as such they could now only mail her a new PIN, which they are doing. I don't think it will arrive in 48 hours.

Who in the decision making process at UAL might be of help.

We had planned a long involved vacation and this is the keystone leg in making it all come together.

Other ideas would be much appreciated please.

SAS

Your help is much appreciated.