Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA
Silver E+ "upgrade" at check in to Japan?

Hi all... searched the forum and couldn't find the answer.

I just received UA Silver status through a status match to AA gold. It has been over a decade since I've flown United, so I am unfamiliar with the rules.

I have my first trip on UA coming up (ORD - NRT) and wonder if I can request complementary E+ at check in for myself and a companion. Or does the complimentary upgrade only apply to the US domestic routes?

I ask because I notice that the E+ subscription requires $200 for global, plus $200 for a companion (on top of $499-- $899 total, ouch!). Although you get to choose seats at booking (like a UA Gold) rather than check-in. Just to be clear, I am not interested in the subscription. Most of my motivation for the status match to Silver was that I could request E+ at check-in for free. And most of the benefit will be on this long flight to Asia and home... if I like it I'll be within 10k miles of qualifying the normal way for UA silver status through 2015.

Last edited by davidandrews; Mar 7, 2014 at 4:24 pm Reason: missing information
Old Mar 8, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by davidandrews
I have my first trip on UA coming up (ORD - NRT) and wonder if I can request complementary E+ at check in for myself and a companion.
Yes, domestic vs international doesn't matter. If the companion is on a different PNR, you'll have to get the seat for the companion on the phone.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:16 am

Thanks, GregMM. 4 of us on a single PNR. Hoping another colleague has status so i dont have to choose. But also not sure how likely it is to get E+ at checkin. Lots of availability last i looked.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:44 pm

Multiple companions on same PNR, can only choose one

Originally Posted by GregMM
Yes, domestic vs international doesn't matter. If the companion is on a different PNR, you'll have to get the seat for the companion on the phone.
OK, so I'd like to request one E+ "upgrade" for just one of my three companions... 4 of us are on the same PNR and I am the only one with Silver status. Will I get to choose which companion at online check in? Or will we have to arrange this at the airport?

David
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by davidandrews
OK, so I'd like to request one E+ "upgrade" for just one of my three companions... 4 of us are on the same PNR and I am the only one with Silver status. Will I get to choose which companion at online check in? Or will we have to arrange this at the airport?

David
At online check-in.

If I were you, I'd separate you and said traveler - gives you that "tiny" chance of an upgrade as well.

Unless the other two passengers really need the free bag and Premier security/boarding that linking with you gets them.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
Can anyone tel me what's the legroom like now in the 737-700 exit rows. I know that on the 73g typically on the the windows of row 21 typically have more space because of the missing seats, but do both exit rows one have more legroom since adding e+
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:44 pm

Hello
So i had a change of aircraft and now im back in regular economy. I called United but they said i will get a refund. Will i? Do I have to request it?

Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yolie
.. So i had a change of aircraft and now im back in regular economy. I called United but they said i will get a refund. Will i? Do I have to request it? ..
Cash purchase of E+ single segment access will (usually) be automatically refund after the flight is E+ is not provide. UA does not refund on aircraft change until after the flight in case the aircraft changes again to include E+.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:32 pm

Premier Silver chances of upgrade to E+ LAX-PVG 787

Anyone out there have any clue what the odds are of getting upgraded to E+ on UA to PVG in mid-Oct? I am traveling with partner and before I purchase a non-refundable seat upgrade to E+ for their ticket (not an elite traveler), I want to be pretty darn sure I would likely be upgraded as well from my Y tkt to E+. This is the first year I am United Elite, so I am a novice on what to expect especially for int'l travel upgrades on the 787 flight to Shanghai. Do I just figure I won't get upgraded and purchase both the E+ seats now to ensure the two of us are paired up on the flight or is it reasonable for me to think that these E+ seats will be available just 24 hrs prior to departure? (Same question goes for the return flight from Beijing on the old UA 747 to SFO)

Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:39 pm

You should be able to wait it out until T-24. IME I've only seen E+ availability at T-24 become an issue to/from anywhere in China once, and that's when I was on the same plane with the US softball/baseball and Argintine soccer team. I've only been on 744s and 772s, but if someone else has been on a 788 to/from China...
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:59 pm

Thanks Steveman! Good to know!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:02 pm

of course you should keep an eye on it as the date approaches just in case
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
Can anyone tell me if the exit row aisle and middle seats of room 21 on the 737-700 have the same exit row space like the 800 & 900 series now that they have e+
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Cash purchase of E+ single segment access will (usually) be automatically refund after the flight is E+ is not provide. UA does not refund on aircraft change until after the flight in case the aircraft changes again to include E+.
Thanks!
I think that kind of sucks.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat, KE Morning Calm, Hertz Gold, SPG Plat
Economy Plus for different PNR

I have a business trip coming up from EWR-LAX-SFO-LAS-EWR with a weekend in SFO.

Booked an award ticket for the Mrs. to fly over to SFO to do some wine tasting in Napa and obviously she had to be booked on a separate PNR.

Her having no status, she can only pick economy and there are only middle seats left on the flight.

How likely will they let her sit next to me in E+?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.