Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:45 pm

I think he is talking about the E+ subs
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:42 am

Yes, I'm referring to the E+ subscription. Can it be used on award travel?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:16 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SJEWEL
Yes, I'm referring to the E+ subscription. Can it be used on award travel?
yes -- there is no difference between $$$ or award travel in use of the subscription (hence it is not mentioned).

Economy Plus subscription
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
A global E+ subscription costs $699 for a single person. Given that cost, I would urge the OP to avoid buying the subscription if this is his / her only trip on UA this year.

The cost of E+ for the individual trip will be less than the subscription (especially since in all likelihood the routing from SFO to Athens will have a maximum of 4 UA flights and more likely 2 and may not have any UA flights at all).

On the other hand if the OP has more trips planned (but not enough to reach elite status) the E+ subscription may be worthwhile.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
On the other hand if the OP has more trips planned (but not enough to reach elite status) the E+ subscription may be worthwhile.
The OP should also make sure to amortize the subscription fee before receiving Silver status which generally provides free E+.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
The OP should also make sure to amortize the subscription fee before receiving Silver status which generally provides free E+.
But only at time of checkin (24 hours). And the subscription would allow at booking, better than Silver.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
A global E+ subscription costs $699 for a single person. Given that cost, I would urge the OP to avoid buying the subscription if this is his / her only trip on UA this year.
Personally I think that the subscriptions are a joke.

It might be useful if you are working to achieve status for the first time, but if you travel enough to make the E+ subscription pay off, you will probably end up achieving status anyway. On a flight I am taking from LHR-LAX in August booked in a K class, the E+ is only $120 additional.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:56 pm

Economy plus

Is it worth the money to upgrade to economy plus on an overseas flight on United.

Last edited by BettyT; Aug 3, 2014 at 5:03 pm
Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
That's like asking a bunch of strangers where to go for dinner...

The answer is maybe. Is the extra legroom worth the cost to you?
Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Depends on how long your legs are,
Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
I find it useful to think in terms of dollars per hour. If the extended room would cost $200 for a 10-hr each-way flight, would the added comfort be worth $10/hour to me.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BettyT
Is it worth the money to upgrade to economy plus on an overseas flight on United.
I moved your post into a thread of similiar questions, a little old but still relevant.
UA's EconomyPlus (E+) is a standard economy seat, with standard economy service but with 3"-5" and occasional more leg space. While only that, for many that is very important.

There is also
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...er-people.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
E+ Pricing patterns as TOD approaches?

Seriously considering a buy up to E+ centre-aisle for SYD-SFO this weekend (under the assumption it may afford sufficient space to actually work on my laptop ). Am wondering whether there are any normal patterns wrt pricing as the TOD approaches. Am I likely to see the price rise, fall or stay the same? Or is it likely to be random to an outside observer?

Lots of E+ left at this stage, but only two E- seats not allocated. Someone will likely get lucky on the day, but I wouldn't want to get stuck in a middle seat.

Thanks.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:22 pm

E+ costs seem to be fairly static and do not change as departure approaches.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: Nat'l Exec Elite Emer, UA Silver
UA Economy Plus Subscription

When I first embarked on searching for the benefits of purchasing a United Airlines Economy Plus subscription many posts were dedicated to how it wasn't economical. I write to share my difference of opinion. I was able to use this program to my benefit and here is how.

When I started the year off I had no status with UA; however, I had a couple of grand trips planned for the year. Living on the East Coast with family on the West Coast flying across country isn't in and of itself worthwhile for purchase of E+. I had grander travel visions including a trip to Brazil for the World Cup and London for a NFL game. Both of these trips were with a companion doesn’t have status with UA so I couldn't benefit off of them.

Many know about the AMEX Plat $200.00 airline benefit, which I had elected to be used on UA travel.

My London odyssey was to start simple enough LGA to HOU to DAL; Non-Rev via SWA early Saturday morning; however, the joys of Non-Rev travel forced me to purchase a space positive flight at UA's gate LGA to IAH to LIT then Non-Rev LIT to DAL. E+ from LGA to IAH only to find IAH to LIT flight was overbooked meaning I'd have to either spend the night in Arkansas to try to make to DAL first thing in the morning.

Long story short; rented a car using Hertz5* pts drive IAH - DAL. The next morning flights DAL - IAH - GRU in E+ for me plus one with a return itinerary of GRU - IAD - DFW (I said my goodbyes to my companion at IAD then went IAD - LGA). The E+ on those flights retail would have been around $500. Those flights aren’t enough for positive ROI of the subscription.

Fast forward to September London trip had me flying LGA - DEN - ABQ. The next day ABQ - IAH - LHR return trip LHR - IAH - ABQ (myself and a companion with no status) E+ would have been about $400. With these combined flights I reached my mileage minimum for Silver.

I had another little flight MSP - ORD - LGA at just under $100 for the E+ seats. This flight placed me in a positive ROI.

Summary E+ Global with Companions subscription cost $899.00 - $200 AMEX statement credit $699.00 (true cost).

Holiday travel will have me flying coast to coast a couple of times which is nice to book E+ seat at time of purchase instead of day of because of Silver Status. I don't think the service is for everyone; however, I made it work.

I hope this helps those who are considering the Subscription.

Thoughts???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.