Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bryanlee81
I have a business trip coming up from EWR-LAX-SFO-LAS-EWR with a weekend in SFO.

Booked an award ticket for the Mrs. to fly over to SFO to do some wine tasting in Napa and obviously she had to be booked on a separate PNR.

Her having no status, she can only pick economy and there are only middle seats left on the flight.

How likely will they let her sit next to me in E+?
On any flight you are also a passagner, it is a standard elite benefit to be able to guest into E+ a passagner on a separate PNR. You need to call but it should take 30 seconds. You will need to check from time to time because if an aircraft change occurs the non-status passagner maybe swept back to E-.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bryanlee81
I have a business trip coming up from EWR-LAX-SFO-LAS-EWR with a weekend in SFO.

Booked an award ticket for the Mrs. to fly over to SFO to do some wine tasting in Napa and obviously she had to be booked on a separate PNR.

Her having no status, she can only pick economy and there are only middle seats left on the flight.

How likely will they let her sit next to me in E+?
If the flight was booked with your miles, it should already let you pick E+ for her for free.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 4:46 am

Possible for a reward travel companion to get E+ upgrade?

I'm a Silver Elite flying EWR to IAH tomorrow. My travel companion cashed in miles for this trip and is using a reward ticket. I know normally if I had a paying companion they could get a free E+ upgrade but is there anyway she still could get an upgrade being she got a reward ticket? I think I already know the answer but I thought I'd post anyway and ask. And my friend booked her reward ticket herself on her own account, but her iternary appears on my account and I can edit or change any of her info. Found that odd too...
Old Apr 2, 2014, 5:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Phillies
I'm a Silver Elite flying EWR to IAH tomorrow. My travel companion cashed in miles for this trip and is using a reward ticket. I know normally if I had a paying companion they could get a free E+ upgrade but is there anyway she still could get an upgrade being she got a reward ticket? I think I already know the answer but I thought I'd post anyway and ask. And my friend booked her reward ticket herself on her own account, but her iternary appears on my account and I can edit or change any of her info. Found that odd too...
Within 24 hours if departure, call & an agent will seat your friend in E+ next to (or near -- I believe that's up to the agent's discretion but could be wrong) if it is available.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by boat9781
Within 24 hours if departure, call & an agent will seat your friend in E+ next to (or near -- I believe that's up to the agent's discretion but could be wrong) if it is available.
I called the elite desk. I was told that since the miles for her reward ticket came from her account, not mine that she won't be able to get a free E+ upgrade if available. I guess I can always try again at the airport if there are still some seats remaining then.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Your best bet would be to call them at the 24 hour window and claim she is your family (wife/sister). They can make an exception. If that fails, try the airport when checking in, they should be able to do this.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:18 am

I called the elite desk. I was told that since the miles for her reward ticket came from her account, not mine that she won't be able to get a free E+ upgrade if available. I guess I can always try again at the airport if there are still some seats remaining then.
Call again. You got a rare agent who won't do it. But she what you said this time, but next time, don't mention the award ticket issue, and don't call it an upgrade. Simply say "I'm traveling tomorrow with a companion on a different reservation. Here, let me give you both reservation numbers. Can you please put her next to me in seat 52Z? Thanks very much.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:25 am

Thanks! I did just that and after a 3 minute phone call it was done!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Can you please put her next to me in seat 52Z?
Would that be somewhere behind the right wingtip?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:08 am

Thanks! I did just that and after a 3 minute phone call it was done!
Awesome!

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Would that be somewhere behind the right wingtip?
At the far starboard side of the empennage.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:10 am

Later in the year I'm taking a trip where the first (TATL) leg is non-UA metal from an airport that UA no longer flies to/from (CPH). Also since I probably won't have consistent internet/phone access on the trip, does anyone know the earliest I could get E+ seating? Or will I have to wait until the TATL leg lands?

Edit: It might be kind of important to note I'm *S
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by steveman518
Later in the year I'm taking a trip where the first (TATL) leg is non-UA metal from an airport that UA no longer flies to/from (CPH). Also since I probably won't have consistent internet/phone access on the trip, does anyone know the earliest I could get E+ seating? Or will I have to wait until the TATL leg lands?

Edit: It might be kind of important to note I'm *S
You mean UA S, right? *S doesn't get E+.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
You mean UA S, right? *S doesn't get E+.
Yeah UA S
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
I know on the on the 737-700's when they were Continental the exit rows don't have extra legroom except seat 21A&F. My question is when the added E+ to these aircrafts, did they add extra legroom to row 20 and the rest of 21.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:19 am

Hi all,

Am I right in thinking *Gold don't get E+ at all?
There's no discount, no nothing? FYI I'm gold with TK.

Thanks,
Ben.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.