Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:38 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Yes, I was fully logged in but couldn't select E+ seats during process, don't like to buy tickets without knowing I can get E+
I'm with you, and maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it seems different than it used to be.

OTOH, I can see E+, and in case something goes REALLY wrong, you can refund within 24 hours. And I can get my E+ right after purchase @:-)

Hasn't failed me yet
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Yes, I was fully logged in but couldn't select E+ seats during process, don't like to buy tickets without knowing I can get E+
You'll always be able to get them. That's not an actual concern.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:11 pm

I know it's probably been covered, but if I book a flight with a Lufthansa ticket on United metal, will I have access to E+? Thanks.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
I wonder how long they will keep raising e+ pricing. My friend ewr-aua 7c on 753 was $70 back in 2012. Today it's $109 for the same seat less than 2 years later.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:50 pm

E+ Question

Current Gold status expiring 1/31/14. I booked flights today on February 9 and February 14 and was allowed to select E+ seats without the upcharge. Will I be kicked out of these seats and into regular E at 12:01 am on February 1?

If so, I will purchase the upgrade so I am just wondering.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txboris
Current Gold status expiring 1/31/14. I booked flights today on February 9 and February 14 and was allowed to select E+ seats without the upcharge. Will I be kicked out of these seats and into regular E at 12:01 am on February 1?

If so, I will purchase the upgrade so I am just wondering.
It has been some peoples experience that if nothing changes to the flights and you don't try to change seats it *may* stick. But there have been many reports that people are getting booted as it is your status on flight day that counts, not booking day. So it will be a YMMV situation at best.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:36 am

Should I upgrade to Economy Plus?

I am flying from CAK-CGK about 10,000 miles and want to be comfortable. One problem is that the last leg is a code share(Cathey Pacific) and I can't upgrade that flight. Do the flight attendents allow you to move in to unsold economy plus seat? On demestic flights its 50/50. Should I pay for the Economy Plus Upgrade pass or is it a waste? The flight is early April and is about 15% full. If that makes a difference.

Thanks
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Assuming that flight will be fairly full, Economy Plus seat would be recommended atleast across the ocean. Mind you, this is not an upgrade per se - this isnt premium economy. Just additional leg room. Since this is a really long journey, additional inches for the legs is recommended. International flights or not, United doesn't really let people move to Eco + seats if they havent purchased them or if they aren't elites.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:48 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
If I had paid CX for an economy plus seat HKg-CGK and I saw someone else move up into the same class as I paid extra for, I'd be complaining bitterly to the head FA. The "plus" CX product is a higher class with extra services. It's not like the extra seat pitch on UA E+
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I couldn't find (or at least didn't dig through enough) a "Where to sit on a 737-900" thread...so quick question from the 4 variants of maps and things I see on SeatGuru it seems that regardless of which 739 row 21 seems to be the good deal...exit row in front leg room but the seat does normally recline?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:00 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I couldn't find (or at least didn't dig through enough) a "Where to sit on a 737-900" thread...so quick question from the 4 variants of maps and things I see on SeatGuru it seems that regardless of which 739 row 21 seems to be the good deal...exit row in front leg room but the seat does normally recline?
Don't trust SeatGuru, it's a shadow of its former self Not that it's always wrong, but ....

And good news is that soon after UA-CO merger, one of the few good things that happened is that they renumbered all single isle Airbii and Boeings, including 757 so that bulkhead is ALWAYS 7 and second or only exit row is ALWAYS 21 ^

Guess they got tired of people complaining about losing seat assignment or GOOD seat assignment due to many equipment changes
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I couldn't find (or at least didn't dig through enough) a "Where to sit on a 737-900" thread....
start with sticky http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ster-wiki.html

to find http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-threads.html

where you will find
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...900-739-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nt-system.html
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Thank you! I believe I put in "Where to sit 737" and kept scouring.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Two weeks ago: Platinum. Today: Last row of a CR7.

Forgive me, friends, while I indulge myself in my own private pity party.

It's my own fault for not flying enough to retain status. I am fully aware of the reduced benefits of my new Silver status, and I'm ok with that. I just didn't expect to hit bottom quite so soon or so hard.

Booked ORD-ASE tix last year when I was Plat, and reserved 3 E+ seats. Silly me -- I did not pay much attention to the exact selection of my seat choices.

Seat map at booking was showing one of the versions of CR7 (how many are we at now?) with a larger E+ section. Bizarrely none of the many fleet maps on united.com or SeatGuru et al matched this version. Specifically economy seats lettered AC-DF?

Anyway we selected 6C (aisle), 6D (aisle), and 6F (window). Since like all good FTers I monitor my reservations, I knew that after Feb 1 I would no longer he eligible to select 3 E+ seats. I held my breath and waited. Still I thought we were safe.

Ha.

At T-48, seating map changed. Same arrangement and amount of E+ seating but now lettered AB-CD. My 6F window no longer existed, but the robot reassigned me 7A. Interestingly, both 6A and 6B were both open, but .Bomb would not let me select it before checkin without payment of $93 E+ fee. So I held my breath.

Sure enough at T-25, someone with a connecting itinerary had checked in and claimed 6AB. Still, no big deal - we all still have E+ seats. Checked in without fanfare at T-24. Kept 6CD and 7A.

Overnight, aircraft swapped again - this time to a refurbished CR7 with the small E+ cabin. Since there is no row 6 on this aircraft, we were low on the totem pole for the robot to assign us new seats and got row 19 in E-.

I was mad, but what's a Silver to do? I thought I had done the prudent thing by reserving E+ months in advance, but those are the breaks.

Later in the day, another swap, back to large E+ cabin and seats 6BCD. Hurray all is good! Thought about switching to a row number that exists on other aircraft just in case, but nothing available. Kept seats and held my breath.

Ha.

At baggage drop, another swap back to small E+ cabin. This time we had been reassigned to 23BCD. Last row of the jungle jet: no recline, no legroom, no window, and passengers queueing for lavatory hovering the entire flight.

Luckily I was able to get wife 20B aisle, so at least she preserves a shred of dignity. Son and I are waiting to board onto our last row seats.

#firstworldproblems, I know. There are worse things than being cramped and uncomfortable for a 2h45m flight. And I get to spend the weekend in Aspen so it's all good once we land.

But one of the benefits of lurking here is to prevent things like this from happening.

Lesson: if you're flying a CR7 in E+ make sure you pick a seat whose row number AND letter exist in all Economy Plus configurations. At least until UA gets this reconfigure project sorted out.

Thanks for letting me share my tale. Hope it helps somebody.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Now on board.

In fairness, must report it's not a total loss. Refreshed seating is handsome, clean and sturdy, if unforgiving in the seat. Knees have a bit of room in front. And I have a window. Still not looking fwd to the lav parade.

Caveat emptor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.