Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by honmani2
Looked through the thread but didn't see an answer to my question.
I booked six tkts from HNL-MCO on same PNR so as a 1K, we are all in e+.

Question: my niece decided to go so if I book her on a separate PNR, can I sponsor her into e+?
Yes, almost all agents will do that for you.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 1:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by honmani2
Looked through the thread but didn't see an answer to my question.
I booked six tkts from HNL-MCO on same PNR so as a 1K, we are all in e+.

Question: my niece decided to go so if I book her on a separate PNR, can I sponsor her into e+?
likely but not strictly by the "rules"
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Thanks for the responses! Worth a try, I suppose.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt GLobalist
[QUOTE=west_end_NYC;21783514]I am traveling EWR-PBI tomorrow morning along with my wife & daughter both of whom do not have Premier status. When I did OLCI this morning I went to purchase an extra E+ seat (my Gold status only gets me +1), I was shocked to see that the fee went up to $77 for a middle seat! This represents a 57% increase from the $49 I paid just a couple months ago. Seems very high for a ~2.5 hour flight. By comparison Jet Blue still charges $40 for its version of E+, and that's for an aisle seat and/or bulkhead.

It's very clear this airline is in desperation mode as it relates to revenue generation.[/QUO

Fyi, I was charged $64 for the same E+ middle seat on my return flight to Newark t this morning. Seems to be no rhyme or reason how these enhancements are priced on a flight to flight basis.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:32 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by west_end_NYC
Fyi, I was charged $64 for the same E+ middle seat on my return flight to Newark t this morning. Seems to be no rhyme or reason how these enhancements are priced on a flight to flight basis.
This is the big selling point of SHARES: dynamic pricing (whose factors are opaque to the customer, though that's likely a side issue).
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by exerda
This is the big selling point of SHARES: dynamic pricing (whose factors are opaque to the customer, though that's likely a side issue).
Was it the same middle seat though? Same row, same everything?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:25 am

lax-jfk economy plus seat in exit row is no bueno.

less leg room than a regular economy plus seat and possibly a regular seat.

I appreciate the agent giving me this seat thinking more leg room for me tho.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Observed the following flying out of ORD on a pretty full A320 this week:

Pax: "I paid $45 for E+, and you have given me seat 32e!"
GA: "I'm sorry, but there is nothing I can do. You will have to apply for a refund."
Pax: "But I paid for an E+ seat."
GA" "I'm sorry, but there is nothing I can do."

Pax slumps away.

I am in 8C. Once the aircraft door closes I look around - at least 3 E+ seats open that I can see.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: AA PLT, CC Concierge, A3*G
If I use UA Premier Gold to choose E+ seats for myself + companion and later change to another FFP# for mileage earning, would we automatically be moved to E-? Provided that the UA Gold still is valid at the time of travel, of course.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: TK Elite, *A Gold
So I am flying IAD-PUJ-IAD in January and no Economy seats to choose from. What do I do now? Purchase E+ for about 70$ per leg or wait until check in to be assigned one free of charge?
Old Nov 28, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CC Concierge, A3*G
Originally Posted by Peppep
If I use UA Premier Gold to choose E+ seats for myself + companion and later change to another FFP# for mileage earning, would we automatically be moved to E-? Provided that the UA Gold still is valid at the time of travel, of course.
Anyone?

If possible at all, what would the best strategy be? Changing at check-in after receiving BP with seat assignments? In the lounge? At the gate?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I have no status with UA any more, but may be forced to book 3 seats for a trip next month since neither of my preferred airlines (DL or AS) appear to have any availability that will meet our needs

the flight in question is a 739 ... the seat map shows exactly one aisle seat remaining in E-, and only about half a dozen seats taken in E+

if I skip seat selection when booking, will the system perhaps realize that the three of us would like to be in the same row? or (I think this is more likely) will it automatically assign me that one E- seat and just dump my wife and son in the "Seat Not Assigned" category?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by jrl22
I have no status with UA any more, but may be forced to book 3 seats for a trip next month since neither of my preferred airlines (DL or AS) appear to have any availability that will meet our needs

the flight in question is a 739 ... the seat map shows exactly one aisle seat remaining in E-, and only about half a dozen seats taken in E+

if I skip seat selection when booking, will the system perhaps realize that the three of us would like to be in the same row? or (I think this is more likely) will it automatically assign me that one E- seat and just dump my wife and son in the "Seat Not Assigned" category?
You will get E- and the other two will have seats assigned at the airport. No way on earth will anyone get E+ with no status without paying extra or waiting until the day of the flight, when your sweetie and son might get middle seats in E+. Pay up now if you really want 3 seats in a row.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 6:13 pm

I think my phone agent made a boo-boo in my favor that may come back to haunt me in the end. lol

I am no status, MP card holder. Booked an award tix. I am coming back MEL to IAH (via LAX) with a plan change in SYD. Although the flight numbers are the same, for some reason, I was able to buy an E+ tix for Mel to SYD for $10.00 only. The SYD to LAX E+ was showing $10 as well but I could not purchase. Obviously a glitch but we can deal and pay the full amount later. So I grabbed E+ for the MEL to SYD thinking it would free up the SYD to LAX portion. But nope.

So, I just selected any old seat in E- to see if it would work, and it did. However, after this, I could not make changes at all to my SYD to LAX seg. So I called, and the agent was able to assist, but she moved both seats, the E- seat from SYD to LAX AND the E+ seat I paid for from MEL to SYD. Of course, she had to go back in and fix that, but instead ended up putting me in E+ for the FIRST leg of my flight (from IAH to HNL)!!

She corrected it but I wasn't too confident now after getting off the line with her (at first she said she could not touch it without canceling b/c of the international segments on other airlines).

Concerned that I am now going to have to rebook or walk to Melbourne, I called back to confirm the changes, make sure that my flight is still ticketed, and to ask what could have prevented me from making the SYD to LAX selection. Also, I wanted to move to another E+ seat and the system was charging an additional $10. The agent placed me on hold, then came back and said that she put me in E+ for the SYD to LAX flight. So now I have E+ for MEL to SYD and SYD to LAX. Of course, by the time I get to the gate, they may realize that I only paid for the first portion and make me fly on the wing during the second Happy trails to me.

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I recently change my SYD to LAX flight (840) to MEL to LAX (stop in SYD). I originally booked and paid for an E+ ticket from SYD to LAX. Upon paying the change fee for the MEL to LAX flight I went to book E+ and was only given the option to select and pay for the MEL to SYD portion and not the SYD to LAX portion. I was able to choose a seat from SYD to LAX but just the normal seats. It won't even let me select a E+ seat even though plenty are open. Even when I go to pay for the MEL to SYD portion I get an error message and can't complete the purchase.

My only thought was that I am trying to change seats too soon?

Anyone have any experience in this? I trust that if I call they can help but I wanted to just do it over the website if possible.

Thanks in advance.

OMG I looked all over this board to see if anyone else experienced or was aware of this. I even started a whole new thread.

Glad to see that you were able to get the matter sorted. I hope this works out for me too.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 8, 2013 at 1:02 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:06 pm

I'm flying BOS-SFO on an old (from what I can tell) 737-200 - with overhead tv's still.

Contemplating spending $75 a head (2 of us) for E+ on the way out, as the flight looks very full and we are going to be crammed in row 30.

It's just showing row 14 and 20 remaining for two seats side by side. It looks like these won't recline due to being an exit row. Worth the money you think for a transcontinental flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.