Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2014, 12:14 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by endrond
One other (smaller) consideration is who's likely to sit next to you. E+ means your neighbor is very likely to be a frequent flyer. Hence, as a very rough guess I'd say....
-more likely to be male, and hence broad shouldered (bad)
-less likely to be a family w/ small kids (good)
This is a really good point. I don't think I've sat by a kid in E+ ever (except on international flights). I have had families with small children walk by me in sitting in the bulkhead and make comments on how they should've been given that seat instead.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by horse glasses
This is a really good point. I don't think I've sat by a kid in E+ ever (except on international flights). I have had families with small children walk by me in sitting in the bulkhead and make comments on how they should've been given that seat instead.
E+ is great even for kids, more distance decreased the chance of them kicking the seat in front. One of the reasons i try for gold each year.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kettle1
I believe it has baring. If the OP is paying $150.00 for E+, that should also include free liquor, slightly better snacks.
Perhaps. But I still think "baring" oneself on a commercial aircraft (at least outside of the lavatory) is sort of creepy.

Originally Posted by frankmu
E+ is great even for kids, more distance decreased the chance of them kicking the seat in front. One of the reasons i try for gold each year.
This is why I often choose a seat immediately in front of an Exit Row.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 1:00 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by kale73
Perhaps. But I still think "baring" oneself on a commercial aircraft (at least outside of the lavatory) is sort of creepy.

Since OP is looking for E+ or Y this means no "baring" in the FC lav. Stay behind the curtain! Those of us in the FC cabin will be drinking our "free" booze with our pinkies sticking out.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
That has no baring on this what so ever.
Ignoring the unfortunate images of people baring, it's important to remember that E+ is not Premium Economy although in some circumstances it costs nearly as much. It only buys about 3-4" of extra legroom - no improved seat width or comfort, no foot rests, no enhanced meal service, no enhanced beverage selection. As a freebie it's great but at $150, it's very expensive for such a meagre offering.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 2:15 am

My husband is 5'1 and doesn't see a different between E- and E+ and wouldn't pay for E+. At 6'1 with long legs, I find E+ much better. Don't know where 5'6 would fall in that spectrum.

Another thing to consider - what row is it? If an exit row or in front of an exit row in E+, you might have some of: tray table in armrest, reduced seat width, limited recline.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
For the OP-$150 isn't worth it, I'd think about it if it was $100 though.

For everyone else-Typing on an iPad is hard and I apologize to everyone for the bad views that entered one's mind

Originally Posted by kettle1
I believe it has baring. If the OP is paying $150.00 for E+, that should also include free liquor, slightly better snacks.

http://upgrd.com/matthew/united-elim...omy-class.html

UA did not make the list, even for those who pay for E+.
This is one area UA did not copy DL, in fact they went the opposite direction.

So on UA if I was a "short person" - save the $150 and stick with Y. I'm 6'1", so I would pay the $150.

The OP already realized that, and was asking entirely from a leg room stand point. Regardless, comparing it to other airlines is devolving even further from the topic as the OP is already flying UA.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:32 am

Thanks for the responses, I'm sticking with E-. Just not worth it especially since i'm not tall. I was expecting to hear it but still disappointing that UA E+ is only a slight upgrade from E-.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bfpri
Thanks for the responses, I'm sticking with E-. Just not worth it especially since i'm not tall. I was expecting to hear it but still disappointing that UA E+ is only a slight upgrade from E-.
Would be great if they at least offered snacks to E+
Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:35 pm

Programs: UAL 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by endrond
One other (smaller) consideration is who's likely to sit next to you. E+ means your neighbor is very likely to be a frequent flyer. Hence, as a very rough guess I'd say....
-more likely to be male, and hence broad shouldered (bad)
-less likely to be a family w/ small kids (good)

Obviously YMMV.
As a counterpoint to this, you will sometimes end up with people in middle E+ who did not have the wherewithal to choose seats when they purchased their ticket and end up in there by default.

The longer the E+ is open next to me the bigger the chance I will have an infrequent flyer next to me. Sometimes I luck out and end up with an unfortunate FF who is a refugee from a cancelled flight. This scenario has been happening a lot more lately.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by tornado163
My husband is 5'1 and doesn't see a different between E- and E+ and wouldn't pay for E+. At 6'1 with long legs, I find E+ much better. Don't know where 5'6 would fall in that spectrum.

Another thing to consider - what row is it? If an exit row or in front of an exit row in E+, you might have some of: tray table in armrest, reduced seat width, limited recline.
Are you folks Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 3:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by leonidas
Are you folks Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise?
Nah, Nicole's only 6'0".
Old Jul 5, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
As a former elite, now kettle, and a, 5'7", I usually pay for E+. I usually bring a messenger bag that reduces legroom in any seat, and the extra few inches does make a difference. I also use my 15" MacBook Pro on flights a lot, and I had forgotten how difficult it was to use it in E- until when I stopped paying for it and got stuck in the slimline seats on the A320 last weekend. When the woman in front of me reclined her seat all the way (for a 2 hour flight, and she wasn't sleeping at all either ), I had to balance part of my laptop onto my chest, effectively making any typing useless.

I also think that E+ makes an even bigger difference on longer flights, and on a 14 hour flight, I would definitely buy it. It's pricey, but once you've gotten used to not being smushed in E-, it's hard to go back.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:10 pm

Mileage plus subscription

Planning a trip from SFO to Athens. if I buy a mileage plus subscription can I use it for award travel ? Couldn't find a reference to award travel on the United economy plus subscription page. Have emailed United and not heard back yet would appreciate any information out there.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, SJEWEL
Originally Posted by SJEWEL
..... mileage plus subscription ....
Not sure what you mean by this term? Explain what characteristics / benefits you are looking for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.