FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/875002-ua-economy-plus-e-questions-worth-experiences-archive.html)

General_Flyer Oct 10, 2008 11:55 pm

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

I need to ask people a question.. Is United Economy Plus all worth the money? I'm flying from SEA-SFO-SEA.. Just wondering if it's worth upgrading for..

gijoe24jp Oct 11, 2008 12:10 am

Some people may disagree with me, but if you are only flying from SEA to SFO, then I personally do not believe it is worth the money to upgrade.

E+ is most useful on longer flights such as transcontinental, TPAC, TATL etc...

Trulyblues Oct 11, 2008 12:25 am

Originally Posted by gijoe24jp (Post 10503330)
Some people may disagree with me, but if you are only flying from SEA to SFO, then I personally do not believe it is worth the money to upgrade.

I agree. I paid for E+ on PDX-ORD flights before I made 2P, but I wouldn't have bothered for a shorter flight. If you're really tall, you might benefit enough to merit paying, but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

General_Flyer Oct 11, 2008 12:26 am

They're using the A320, and B757-200.. I was wondering if the seat could easily fit me, I'm around 5'10, weights about 240 lbs.

Zacnlinc Oct 11, 2008 12:28 am

You may not value the cost of upgrading for the relative short trip, but I'd suggest doing it at least for one leg of your trip to give it a try... Then you'll have the answer...

deniah Oct 11, 2008 12:34 am

i can live on 32" pitch for <2 hr (5'10")

Mike Jacoubowsky Oct 11, 2008 12:56 am

Originally Posted by General_Flyer (Post 10503314)
I need to ask people a question.. Is United Economy Plus all worth the money? I'm flying from SEA-SFO-SEA.. Just wondering if it's worth upgrading for..

The difference between E- being tolerable vs dreadful is generally beyond your control, unless you have the power to prevent the person in front of you from moving their seat back. Realistically, this is less-likely to occur on a shorter flight, so I think that's the reason most find shorter flights in E- tolerable.

From a cost standpoint, it's pretty much charged on a per-mile basis, so technically I don't think it's a better deal on a longer vs shorter flight.

mpw81 Oct 11, 2008 1:22 am

I was on my first US segment this year (unfortunately not my last). I'll be flying DEN-XXX-MSY the rest of the year and will need XXX to make 1k, whether it be IAD (hopefully), PHL or CLT.

I will jokingly tell you to not get hooked on E+ unless you will be 3P+ soon, because once you have it on a regular basis, you have a hard time understanding why you can't pull your laptop bag out from under the seat without contorting your legs into a yoga postion, or stretch your legs out all the way (I am also 5'10").

But seriously, as a GM I used to regularly purchase E+ on 2 hr flights to SFO, LAX, MSY... and found it very worth it.

mauiUAflyer Oct 11, 2008 1:39 am

If you have to ask, the answer is probably 'no'...:eek:

austgap Oct 11, 2008 1:43 am

Another option if you do fly a lot - would it be worth to buy the Economy Plus membership annual option for about $349.

Have purchased it and found it good value expect on the old B733/B735 who have those disgusting old seats!!

gre Oct 11, 2008 6:37 am

Originally Posted by General_Flyer (Post 10503353)
I'm around 5'10, weights about 240 lbs.

Width might be as important to you as pitch.

320s have 18", 752s have 17", and the difference is noticable to some. Also stay out of the rows with fixed arm rests, e.g., exit and bulkhead rows, because this further detracts from seat width. Also, if you're lucky enough to have an empty middle seat, a normal row allows you to put the armrest up and enjoy the extra space.

General_Flyer Oct 11, 2008 9:23 am

Well, I'm a M+ member as well, but primarily uses Krisflyer to credit for my flights using Star Alliance carriers. In short I don' use M+ a lot except for their partner companies' purchases.

Now with the seats, the price for the upgrade is $ 78 dollars R/T. To be honest, if the First in Virgin wasn't so expensive (This is for another flight 1 week before thanksgiving) and their price is the same as United, I would've taken it.

One further question.. Is it worth spending 60,000 miles on First class as award ticket on this SEA-SFO-SEA segment?

notquiteaff Oct 11, 2008 9:33 am

I'd say it depends on your size (which you specified) and your economic situation. I am 6'1 and could easily survive in E- (as I do whenever I fly on a non-UA flight), especially on a short flight like yours. However, I'd pay up if LH or AA or whoever I am on were to offer an E+ like product as it is a lot more comfortable. But you're the only one who can truly determine whether the cost is worth it to you, so I'd concur with Zacnlinc that you should try it on one leg.

Originally Posted by General_Flyer
One further question.. Is it worth spending 60,000 miles on First class as award ticket on this SEA-SFO-SEA segment?

Eeek! No, not worth it to me. 80,000 miles could get you to Europe in C (which is much better than domestic F).

dimramon Oct 11, 2008 10:01 am

Originally Posted by gijoe24jp (Post 10503330)

I disagree. I am tall and E+ is useful on any flight for me. It also gives me a chance to open up my laptop in flight when the person in front of me reclines.

abmj-jr Oct 11, 2008 10:29 am

Originally Posted by General_Flyer (Post 10504453)
..One further question.. Is it worth spending 60,000 miles on First class as award ticket on this SEA-SFO-SEA segment?

No!!

As for E+, at 6-4 that is the most important benefit my status earns. At 5-10, YMMV but I'd do as suggested above - try it with E+ buy-up for one leg and without for the other and make your own judgement. It is a short flight. You will survive either way.