FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/875002-ua-economy-plus-e-questions-worth-experiences-archive.html)

iwillflytheworld Oct 11, 2008 11:48 am

Originally Posted by General_Flyer (Post 10504453)
One further question.. Is it worth spending 60,000 miles on First class as award ticket on this SEA-SFO-SEA segment?

First of all it would be 45,000 miles, not 60,000.
Even at 45,000 it is absolutely NOT worth it.

boolean64 Oct 11, 2008 1:24 pm

I agree with those who say that you have to decide for yourself how much comfort is worth to you. I've done the trip probably about 40 times and find E+ to be an outstanding benefit, even on the short flight. But for one trip, i would probably save my $78 and get a nice bottle of wine to recover afterwards. I've even taken the middle seat in the last row on standby three or four times rather than sit around and wait for my delayed original flight.

My boss, on the other hand, finds it insane that i don't upgrade to first like he does. (He just pays for e-500s when he runs out of complimentary ones)

General_Flyer Oct 11, 2008 3:17 pm

The 60,000 is mileage redemption using Krisflyer.. That's why it's that expensive.

Probably, I'll take boolean64's suggestion..

For the info, I'm just a regular M+ member, but I'm a KF Gold..

I_Can_Fly_US_Airways Oct 11, 2008 4:45 pm

Real Simple Answer...

Are you planning on working on your laptop during the flight? I'm 5"10". As a 1P I always get E+. Only one time I can think of that I was seated in economy (last minute flight). Found it VERY difficlut to work on my computer in the regular economy section. It's never a problem in E+.

Good Luck

Mike Jacoubowsky Oct 11, 2008 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by General_Flyer (Post 10504453)
Now with the seats, the price for the upgrade is $ 78 dollars R/T. To be honest, if the First in Virgin wasn't so expensive (This is for another flight 1 week before thanksgiving) and their price is the same as United, I would've taken it.

First in Virgin is actually quite reasonable. They sell it for a fixed price that actually encourages (some) people to buy into it, rather than upgrade (which really isn't part of their program yet anyway, far as I know). And if they still have seats in First available within a day of the flight, the upgrade will run as low as $50 (for SFO-LAS). UA, on the other hand, charges often astronomical and rarely reasonable prices for First.

It often seems like we expect F to be a super-premium product, but we don't expect to have to pay much for it. I think the airlines have us figured out pretty good. :(

General_Flyer Oct 11, 2008 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky (Post 10505902)
First in Virgin is actually quite reasonable. They sell it for a fixed price that actually encourages (some) people to buy into it, rather than upgrade (which really isn't part of their program yet anyway, far as I know). And if they still have seats in First available within a day of the flight, the upgrade will run as low as $50 (for SFO-LAS). UA, on the other hand, charges often astronomical and rarely reasonable prices for First.

It often seems like we expect F to be a super-premium product, but we don't expect to have to pay much for it. I think the airlines have us figured out pretty good. :(

Well, looks like I'm flying just Economy this time.. Though I'll have my revenge... I've booked UA & Virgin First for my trip from SEA-LAX-SEA, I would've liked to buy both Virgin, because it's cheaper, but I can't due to my outbound/inbound flight schedules from Asia..

PTSBrian Oct 11, 2008 8:16 pm

You might take a look at the seat maps for the flight. That's usually a pretty crowded route. You might consider not taking a seat assignment in E- and waiting for an assignment at the airport. Good chance you'll end up with E+ anyway without paying (at least it worked for me frequently for flights out of SEA in my days before having status).

General_Flyer Oct 11, 2008 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by PTSBrian (Post 10506458)
You might take a look at the seat maps for the flight. That's usually a pretty crowded route. You might consider not taking a seat assignment in E- and waiting for an assignment at the airport. Good chance you'll end up with E+ anyway without paying (at least it worked for me frequently for flights out of SEA in my days before having status).

Never thought of that before.. The problem is; its not always for everyone.. I'll probably stick in E.. Even my Status in *Alliance won't matter to them...

jack1 Nov 9, 2008 4:52 pm

economy plus seat questions

I have tried to search for the answer to these questions but I am coming up blank. I know someone here can help me. We do not have any status with United (aeroplan members only).

If a ticket is purchased by paying extra $ for economy plus seats, can someone who has elite status (not sure exactly what it is called but someone with mega miles with United) come in after and take those seats away?

If they make a change of planes and seat assignments get changed, do we still get the economy + seats automatically?

Can you book these seats on United's website and if so how? I can't seem to figure that one out!! Can you choose which leg of the journey to get the + seats or do you have to get these seats for all segments of the trip?

Perhaps this is the wrong place to ask this but are there any other airlines that allows someone to pay extra for the priviledge of securing these often coveted seats? I know BA has upgraded category called WT+ but are there any other airlines which do what United is doing? We are looking at flights from YEG to CDG and then from BUD to YEG.

THank you very much for any help you can give me to help clear this up.

rmlewisjr Nov 9, 2008 4:58 pm

When the economy plus seats are taken, they are gone. If you buy one, I can't come in and take yours. If they change equipment and there are less seats I don't know how they work that. I would think that you would be due a refund if you pay for an economy plus seat and don't get one.

niele Nov 9, 2008 5:11 pm

Once I had chosen the itinerary and was ready to complete the transaction there is a part which asks if you'd like to upgrade to economy plus and you can then upgrade, if so desired. :) And ... I sure hope nobody (with whatever status) can take your seats once payed for, yeah, right!!! :p I'm just hoping they don't!

rmlewisjr Nov 9, 2008 5:14 pm

I'm a 1K and I'm here to tell you. If the seats are booked and I don't want to sit in a regular economy seat I have to buy a first class ticket.

hoops7k Nov 9, 2008 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by jack1 (Post 10697646)
I have tried to search for the answer to these questions but I am coming up blank. I know someone here can help me. We do not have any status with United (aeroplan members only).

If a ticket is purchased by paying extra $ for economy plus seats, can someone who has elite status (not sure exactly what it is called but someone with mega miles with United) come in after and take those seats away?

You can assign seat usually on united.com
If you change your flight after purchase or stand by you will most likely lose the E+ seat.

* Customer-requested changes to the dates, board on, or board off points will result in loss of Economy Plus seats for the modified flight segments.
* Economy Plus purchase applies for flights on your receipt only.
* Valid for travel on United/Ted/United Express only (Star Alliance or marketed code share flights not permitted).
* Economy Plus purchase is nonrefundable unless Economy Plus is not available for the flights on receipt.
* For ticket changes/exchanges, only the full value of the original itinerary (excluding this additional Economy Plus charge) is applicable to new tickets (less any applicable change fees).
* Economy Plus purchase reserves a seat within the Economy Plus seating area. Specific seat assignments are not guaranteed.
* Economy Plus purchase is processed based on seat availability at time of purchase.
* This offer is subject to change without notice.
https://store.united.com/enhancement...UM_LEGRM#terms

As for other airlines there are a couple that have premium economy(if you can call e+ premium economy).

"Other airlines with true premium economy include British Airways, China Southern, EVA, SAS, Singapore, Thai (coming soon), and Virgin Atlantic. Of those, China Southern, EVA, and Singapore."
http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-....html?id=16701

hoops7k Nov 9, 2008 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by niele (Post 10697760)
Once I had chosen the itinerary and was ready to complete the transaction there is a part which asks if you'd like to upgrade to economy plus and you can then upgrade, if so desired. :) And ... I sure hope nobody (with whatever status) can take your seats once payed for, yeah, right!!! :p I'm just hoping they don't!

If you have the seat reserved excluding an equipment change it is your seat.If there is a change you get your money back.

Originally Posted by rmlewisjr (Post 10697772)
I'm a 1K and I'm here to tell you. If the seats are booked and I don't want to sit in a regular economy seat I have to buy a first class ticket.

This is playing Russian roulette some times seats are blocked or there are no shows but to avoid ending up in E- you have to watch the seat maps, pray or find a different flight.

mahasamatman Nov 9, 2008 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by hoops7k (Post 10697830)
If you have the seat reserved excluding an equipment change it is your seat.If there is a change you get your money back.

Seat assignments are never guaranteed - look at the threads about people losing seat assignments for no apparent reason. If you get moved to E- for some reason (rare, but it happens), you will get your money back, but you don't get any compensation if you just get moved to a different seat in E+.