FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/875002-ua-economy-plus-e-questions-worth-experiences-archive.html)

Happyfeet Jul 10, 2010 5:07 pm

Chase E+ credit card T&C

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 14276089)
Be careful not to confuse different things.
SEA1K4EVR was referring to the UA elite privilege of having a companion on a different PNR guested into E+.

Not all purchased E+ access plans allow guesting. The One Time option does not include a companion at all. The Annual only includes a companion on the same PNR. It would appear from your description the MP Access Card is also just companion on same PNR (itinerary is interchangeable for PNR) -- even thought you may have some agent permit separate PNRs. The rules are different and potentially confusing.

Hummm -- "The rules are different and potentially confusing" Well yes I stated that the Terms and Conditions were stated 2 different ways. In 2 places is states that companions on the same itenerary are permitted seats in E+ and in 2 different places it says that only those companions on the same PNR are permited in E+. During the credit card application process, I called for clarification (unfortunately probably the ICC) and the CSR confirmed that "same itenerary" was the interpretation that applied. I suppose a secure E-mail to -- whom? before applying might have clarified this issue but I didn't do that step. Now I'm left to do battle each time and it's just not any fun.
So why are my wife and I manageing to get on separate PNRs?
1st time when redeeming a voucher at the airport, the ticket agent could not put both passengers on the same PNR even though the value of the voucher covered the total cost of the 2 tickets.
2nd time; 2 award tickets booked online; not enough miles in either account to cover the cost of both tickets.

WineCountryUA Jul 10, 2010 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Happyfeet (Post 14277513)
Hummm -- "The rules are different and potentially confusing" Well yes I stated that the Terms and Conditions were stated 2 different ways. In 2 places is states that companions on the same itenerary are permitted seats in E+ and in 2 different places it says that only those companions on the same PNR are permited in E+. During the credit card application process, I called for clarification (unfortunately probably the ICC) and the CSR confirmed that "same itenerary" was the interpretation that applied. I suppose a secure E-mail to -- whom? before applying might have clarified this issue but I didn't do that step. Now I'm left to do battle each time and it's just not any fun......

Beleive same itinerary means same PNR, not same flights -- so believe you have just been lucky or persistent.

Not being on the same PNR is an elite privilege, not an Annual E+ Access privelage.

apolloms Jul 12, 2010 8:53 am

first time flying united in a while, have a question

Hey Everyone,
I normally am on DL but my company booked me a ticket and the return leg is on UA. The ticket was booked in Y class and when I look on my itinerary it gives me the option to upgrade to economy plus for $39 on my GEG-DEN leg. Does a full fare Y ticket not include an upgrade to economy plus for free?

Thanks.

michunited Jul 12, 2010 9:01 am

Welcome to United, I am a 1K and only when you reach Premier do they automatically put you in Economy plus. It really depends on the aircraft as to how much extra room you get. Show your status with the DL and maybe they will be nice and put you in EP to show you how "nice" UA's extra inches become. :) Since your company put you on UA just add the cost to your expense account and they will also ding you for luggage. Have a nice trip.

apolloms Jul 12, 2010 9:14 am

Originally Posted by michunited (Post 14284871)
Welcome to United, I am a 1K and only when you reach Premier do they automatically put you in Economy plus. It really depends on the aircraft as to how much extra room you get. Show your status with the DL and maybe they will be nice and put you in EP to show you how "nice" UA's extra inches become. :) Since your company put you on UA just add the cost to your expense account and they will also ding you for luggage. Have a nice trip.

Thanks,
Is it worth it for a 2 hr flight on an A320?

WineCountryUA Jul 12, 2010 9:22 am

Originally Posted by ianturner (Post 14284934)
Thanks,
Is it worth it for a 2 hr flight on an A320?

A lot of that depends on you.
This thread will provide many opinons.
E+ is standard economy service with 5 inches of extra legspace on A320 (36" vs 31"). It also makes it easier to use an laptop. You need to decide if either of these matter enough to you versus the extra fee.
E+ is considered by many UA elites (that sit in economy) the largest differentiator for UA.

michunited Jul 12, 2010 9:27 am

A320's actually have decent seat width compared to say the CRJ700 but it has been a long time since I have sat in the back of any UA flight so I dont remember how close the seats are to eachother but they will be tight. Remember that when any airline says its 2hours it will really be about an 1 1/2 hours. The main thing is if you plan on opening up your laptop dont even think about doing it in the back as the person in front of you may lean back and crush your screen. I would justify it that way to your boss. UA states in their PR campaign up to 5" of extra legroom but it is different on every series of aircraft. Hope this helps.

apolloms Jul 12, 2010 9:33 am

thanks for the replies everyone. i think i might as well spring for it.

mtnflyer Jul 12, 2010 8:08 pm

Sponsor Upgrade Doesn't Clear- Economy Plus?

I'm sponsoring an upgrade to 1st class. If it doesn't clear, would the person be eligible to be seated in Economy Plus? Talking with United, they say it would be $29 to get E+ (refunded if upgrade clears).

Thanks

CPMaverick Jul 12, 2010 8:15 pm

If not otherwise eligible, no. Why would they be?

Hope the upgrade clears for your traveler.

businesstraveller2 Jul 12, 2010 10:44 pm

My opinion of E+ is that it depends alot on the plane and where you sit. The Airbus has 18" seat width and I greatly notice the difference between 18" and 17" I am rather wide in the hips and for me 18 is comfortably snug whereas 17 is doable but uncomfortable especially with someone next to me. So even with the legroom I'm not so happy in E+on a 757. On the other hand I've flow ORD->LAX on the A319 in 6C with the extra legroom and extra cutout and it was a fantastic seat very comfy as good as first class if you don't want to recline so much. When I fly coach I try to book on a plane that has both E+ and the 18" width because I have long legs and wide hips - kind of the kiss of death for airline comfort.

I like to work on the plane and regular E is essentially not doable for me because my knees go right into the seat in front of me and the tray table does not fit my laptop with the screen open, especially if the person in front of me reclines. On the other hand the extra legroom in E+ makes work pretty doable.

I am 5'6" female with legs equivalent to a 6' guy. So I have very short torso can not see over the seat in front of me but need alot of leg room and also hip room.

shdflyer Jul 22, 2010 2:24 pm

1K -> 1P E+ Question

THanks All!
if things go bad and whole PNR gets booted to E-, will UA allow a splitting of the PNR so that me + 1 can be in E+ (1p benefit) and I can buy E+ for the third?

ash_79 Jul 22, 2010 2:28 pm

I think you should be ok to get E+ for all as it is on the same PNR.

6rugrats Jul 22, 2010 2:40 pm

You're fine now, as a 1K you can have up to eight family members on a PNR seated with you.

UA's webpage states:

Member must also have elite status at the time of travel to retain reserved Economy Plus seats.

If the third person is a child, I don't think you will have a problem with them keeping this seat, but you will have to keep an eye on it. Will they be swept out to E-? I have no idea; next spring is a long time away.

uecsome Jul 22, 2010 2:42 pm

1P only can bring 1 more passenger to E+.
Well, still you have a slight chance with nice GA to seat all 3 together in E+...