Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:24 pm

The flight is for my gf. She has some back & neck problems. I am insisting upon it, but she doesn't want to. She's about 5'6" and slender. I don't mind paying for it if she is going to be comfortable. I am confused Hence reaching out for every one's opinion.

Last edited by nit407; Sep 16, 2013 at 4:50 pm
Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by g46r
I say there's a huge difference between 31" and 34" on long haul flights. I would certainly pay $150 for it (especially considering UA charges somewhere around $40 for E+ for flights less than 2 hrs!).
Fair enough, it's clearly down to personal preference though. On another leg I was somehow allowed to choose a seat in E+ for free and I didn't really notice much difference then either.

Just thought I'd put another view across considering I'm well above the 5' quoted by someone else as some kind of cut-off for needing E+ yet didn't find E remotely "brutal" in comparison.

Especially why you consider there are generally a lot more E seats than E+ seats - it seems like the majority of people don't think it's worth the extra money.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by g46r
I say there's a huge difference between 31" and 34" on long haul flights. I would certainly pay $150 for it (especially considering UA charges somewhere around $40 for E+ for flights less than 2 hrs!).
+1

I'm 5-7 and find the extra space to be the difference between tolerable and miserably claustrophobic. YMMV.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
Still same situation. An F ticket does not get you E+. If F was full on this leg when you ticketed t you paid for E on that leg thus no E+.
OK, thanks. I couldn't find this info anywhere.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
My co-worker paid for E+ and Premier Access but then got a paid F upgrade offer during online check-in. Will he be refunded either of the other purchases, since he later paid for F?
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
E+ is refunded upon a buy-up. I don't know about Premier Access.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: CX Macro Polo Club
Just want to report my recent E+ refunds.

1 - Purchased one time E+ seats for HKG-EWR, SFO-HKG flights in Oct 2013
2 - Purchased Dec 2013 HKG-EWR-HKG flights (K fares) for me and my friend on the same PNR
3 - Called UA RSVP HK hotline telling them that I want to buy E+ subscription (Global + one friend) at $899 and want to refund the (1). The agent called UA USA and they declined
4 - Called UA RSVP USA hotline. The agent sought go-ahead from "Sales Director" and agreed to refund
5 - Refunds received in 2 days

So I can say United is being reasonable in this case.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Pending upgrades for silver and below

I realize that this could go in several toxic forums out there, but is is a unique synthesis of the issues each of the other forums entails.

Situation: I use miles to upgrade my travel partner (a silver soon to be gold). At the time I start, all 4 segments are R>0. 3 clear and the 4th fails to (with R now = 0). She may well still clear.

She how has spent the 20,000 miles to upgrade from E- to F, whether or not that last segment (SFO-SAT) clears. The 20k points are spent on the SEA-SFO. So I ask the 1k desk to bump her to E+ prior to 24 hours (there is only 1 E- seat remaining and loads of E+) as she has paid to go to first and either will or will not get the points refunded.

Answer - NO. Those are for paying customers." "Yes, I say, like my wife who paid 20,000 points." If the 2 segments were upgraded separately, I wouldn't have an issue with it, but they aren't. She has paid her points for F and gets nothing except loss of those points if she fails.

Am I off base here?? HUACB is my plan
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Sorry, no dice. You don't get E+ for being waitlisted for an upgrade. But she'll likely get E+ within T-24. Reports are nearly 100% success with a little trying.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Sorry. Can't use miles to upgrade to E+.

UA.com is pretty clear about how mileage upgrades work on multi-stop domestic itineraries. Using miles to upgrade on a flight with connections is a risk if one segment doesn't clear.

I don't think you are owed an e+ seat.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TommyC80
In the future, as a 1K, book a ticket with your wife. Seat both of you in e+, split the reservation and cancel your individual booking.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 1:16 pm

I don't have status and have a few transcontinental trips in the upcoming year, so I'm thinking about the economy plus subscription. If I buy it today, could I go back and choose e+ seats on a flight later this week that I bought before buying the subscription?

Can I apply my subscription to a flight taking place during the subscription period but bought before the subscription started?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 6:53 pm

According to the T&C, these are the restrictions regarding the flights on which it's valid:

Flights must be scheduled to depart within the subscription period.

The subscriber’s MileagePlus® number must be included in the reservation in order to receive the subscription benefits.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: UA, AS, AA, DL
(I've searched, but didn't find anything on this topic. I admit to not reading all 31 pages of this thread, though, so forgive me ...)

I booked a flight for Mrs. Gnet to join me in Paris, but she has no status and is flying SFO-CDG in the back. Being a nice, but not spendthrift hubby, I upgraded her to E+. Now, looking at the seat map, I wanted to move her to a different E+ seat -- the system wants to charge me again! I called, and sure enough, that is the deal. This is despite there being an equipment change that moved the seats by a couple of rows.

What a crock! I pay for E+, and then I can't select an available seat later? Yet another UA BS -- it would cost them nothing to allow this. It's also not like I'm exchanging an aisle for a center E+ seat -- I'm changing from 21L to 22A.

The obligatory question is whether there is any way around this? HUCA did not seem to work (I'm calling from France). I'm Gold, which seems to have no bearing on the situation, as I'm not traveling on the outbound itin.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 5:59 pm

If you change to another seat that is more expensive than your original, you'll be charged for the new seat, and your original seat will be refunded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.