Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2022, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsaroff
I had an award ticket (United ticketed / AC metal) that was the second leg of an RT award that I cancelled on the phone with agent due to a family emergency. (I subsequently purchased a ticket to a different location). The agent cancelled my ticket and told me that my miles would be redeposited within 6 weeks. They have yet to be redeposited and it's been 8 weeks.

(1) Is this typical?
(2) Is the best remedy to call the Service Center?
(3) I am a Platinum today but will be a 1K next week. Any reason to wait or is there just one service center for everyone?

Thank you!
Note that converting a round-trip award to a one-way award after travel begins, and redepositing the difference, is expressly disallowed by the rules. I’m not aware of any exception for a family emergency (although there might be one), and I can’t think of any circumstances where mileage redeposit should take 6 weeks. Generally, United’s policies for this sort of situation are to waive change fees, on the assumption that you’ll still need to get home at some point.

It’s possible that you’ve been granted an exception, but I hope that the ticket was annotated appropriately by the first agent or you’ll have to convince a second agent for help.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 3:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Award Ticket - Short Leg Waitlist

I am flying MXP-FRA-SFO on LH and UA respectively. I booked an award ticket through United.com, with FRA-SFO as an I fare, and MXP-FRA as an X fare (due to no availability of I).

I has become available on the MXP-FRA leg - am I able to have my ticket reissued and upgrade to Business? Would this be done through UA or LH? To complicate things, I am within T-12 hours until departure.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFOrunner
I am flying MXP-FRA-SFO on LH and UA respectively. I booked an award ticket through United.com, with FRA-SFO as an I fare, and MXP-FRA as an X fare (due to no availability of I).

I has become available on the MXP-FRA leg - am I able to have my ticket reissued and upgrade to Business? Would this be done through UA or LH? To complicate things, I am within T-12 hours until departure.
For a UA award ticket, you’d need to work with UA. This isn’t a waitlist question, as there is current I availability. However, unless there is still I availability on the entire trip, you may turn into issues.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 7:17 am

If I buy a $199 seat in First Class from my economy ticket, does that change the fare class of the ticket? Also, would it trigger the Amex incidental credit?
Old Oct 2, 2022, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SFOrunner

Originally Posted by jsloan
For a UA award ticket, you’d need to work with UA. This isn’t a waitlist question, as there is current I availability. However, unless there is still I availability on the entire trip, you may turn into issues.
Someone at UA can make this change without the need for I on FRA-SFO, but it may be a real challenge to find that person.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 4:10 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
If I buy a $199 seat in First Class from my economy ticket, does that change the fare class of the ticket? Also, would it trigger the Amex incidental credit?
Adding to this question. I have a two segment ticket that I just upgraded, my first segment is on a CRJ2. Do I get a free checked bag?
Old Oct 2, 2022, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
Adding to this question. I have a two segment ticket that I just upgraded, my first segment is on a CRJ2. Do I get a free checked bag?
Yes, assuming both legs are operated by UA or United Express.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 6:34 pm

Baggage Fee question:

Used UA miles to book a award flight from IAH-DEN. Chase united explorer card holder. Why is united telling me that a checked bag is $35 one way. Can I fight this at check in? non-UA status.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 6:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BRPORSCHE
Used UA miles to book a award flight from IAH-DEN. Chase united explorer card holder. Why is united telling me that a checked bag is $35 one way. Can I fight this at check in? non-UA status.
Did you use the card to pay the award ticket fees?
If you did and you still get charged at check-in, file a refund request.(with evidence you used the card got the ticket fees).
Old Oct 4, 2022, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Did you use the card to pay the award ticket fees?
If you did and you still get charged at check-in, file a refund request.(with evidence you used the card got the ticket fees).
Just double checked on this using my desktop. I use the explorer card to pay the fee's. I went on to check in and it has a heck mark next to bags prepaid but then I go through the check in process and the first checked bag is still being charged.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
Can I use PlusPoints to upgrade a United segment that's ticketed on another airline? The ticketing airline would be SAS and the mileage would be getting credited to my MileagePlus account.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 4:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Are there still Premier Access lines at EWR Terminal C. Methinks it sporadic. Thanks.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
Are there still Premier Access lines at EWR Terminal C. Methinks it sporadic. Thanks.
Yes, between Precheck and regular lines.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 5:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by therossinator
Can I use PlusPoints to upgrade a United segment that's ticketed on another airline? The ticketing airline would be SAS and the mileage would be getting credited to my MileagePlus account.
yes
The trip should be visible in your UA account and just do the normal process of applying PlusPoints
Old Oct 6, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: United
With regard to calculating UA PQPs on partner flights, I understand this based on preferred vs standard label. How is this applied though?
If a partner flight is booked on united dot com is it still awarded full PQP value and not limited to (1500 or 1000)? Or, is PQP value awarded solely on the metal?
Thanks for this clarification!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.