Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2022, 2:42 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
New to the United thread and just trying to figure out what I can expect for Lunch on LAX-EWR on the 787.. I guess its irrelevant as far as food that its the 787 not the 757.
its like the thai chicken or some pasta dish or maybe something else someone else can clarify but nothing impressive

I am most curious if the sundaes are back how they are on AA? What about a cheese plate? And a warm bread basket?
On behalf of United, *insert cricket chirps*
I dont see any bread baskets pictured above or sundaes or cheese plates so I am starting to think United is way behind AA.
Yup you would be correct, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by flyingrohit; Jan 14, 2022 at 5:39 am
Old Jan 14, 2022, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
This is what I was served on that very flight out of LAX a month ago (from: The UA Frequent Flyer Quiz Thread: Where Is This? where flyingrohit correctly identified the catering station):

img

So that's the ragu atop polenta. There's also the "grilled" chicken breast atop rice with a southwesternish corn/tomatoes/chimichurri sauce.

Options: a) If you eat ahead of time, you can simply go to sleep (bring eyeshades and/or hoodie since the cabin will be lit for dinner at ~2 am) and not eat these items or b) bring a plastic container of suitable size, nap until the service, stuff the items in said plastic container and then go to sleep until IAH.

David
Mmm, one-bowl polenta-ragu-wine-cola-cookiepie-fruit, my favourite. 😋
Old Jan 14, 2022, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by flyingrohit
its like the thai chicken or some pasta dish or maybe something else someone else can clarify but nothing impressive

On behalf of United, *insert cricket chirps*

Yup you would be correct, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Bummer ! At least its a 787-10 so should be a nice flight. For all of AA issues I did just get a cheese plate, sticky coffee cake, ice cream sundae & warm bread bakset on an 11:59pm to Boston. Hoping United catches up soon. DL had a good deal too for this day I needed but I rather go better hard product for the Transcon which would be UA 787.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
DL had a good deal too for this day I needed but I rather go better hard product for the Transcon which would be UA 787.
Hard product wise, I like DL's 767-400 (all should be retrofitted already). 787-10 seat on the UA is a bit on the narrower side.

West to east will be a quick flight. 4-4.5 hours depending on the tail wind. Even with lie-flat seats, I still arrive like a zombie with at best a few hours of uninterrupted sleep.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 12:04 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Hard product wise, I like DL's 767-400 (all should be retrofitted already). 787-10 seat on the UA is a bit on the narrower side.

West to east will be a quick flight. 4-4.5 hours depending on the tail wind. Even with lie-flat seats, I still arrive like a zombie with at best a few hours of uninterrupted sleep.
I have issues with the Polaris seat but I think I have more with DL, even the new seats. I'm actually flying DL back just to be able to compare the 2. I found a 50K one way with miles which is quite good for DL as usually its 110K-150K one way, which is ridiculous.

On the Polaris seat I dont like the wheel thing to control the seat. I also find the entry area to the true window seat to be so freaking narrow. Additionally, I would never want to sit in the non true window seat since it angles in to the aisle. And even from the window seat it feels like that person is more next to you than behind you. And yes I recall my 3 787-10 trips feeling more narrow than the one time I flew Polaris on the 777.

All that said though the DL seat doesnt recline right- you cant lounge in it. It lowers you too much rather than puts you back in a lounge state. I find the IFE to be way too close as well although I like the IFE more than on Polaris.

For me I would take AA hard product any day.. The 77W and 789 seats are so much more comfortable for me, in particular the 789.

At any rate, looking forward to trying UA & DL as its been all AA for quite some time. I am hoping for sundaes, cheese plates, warm bread baskets & something decent for entrees
MatthewLAX and Repooc17 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
UA2020 EWR-ANU (P) Breakfast

Coffee and prosecco for my wife, but with ice in a tumbler? (More on tumbler issues later).

I'll stick to the "better" Bloody Mary (made with gin, folks). Remember, gin is vodka with flavor!

Choices are "eggs or waffle". When my wife asks how the eggs are served, FA stumbles, "umm, scrambled, with kale, in a puff pastry".
Apparently the puff pastry fell off during the sous vide cooking lol. I think the egg souffle is quite good.

Instead of the insipid fruit cup, got this:

Actually quite tasty even thought the "after" photo may not convince you:

Then, the second prosecco is served properly. Newish FA, maybe?

UA443 ANU-EWR (P) Lunch

Is this a new choice? Have not seen this one posted (but I was off FT for a week). FA called it "Italian Ragu". When I asked what that meant, she stumbled, ran up front and came back that it was polenta (she wanted to call it grits, which would have been accurate):

Not bad but not very filling. Polenta alone was tasty. Sauce/veggie topping was a bit spicy in a good way. Pie in the Sky unheated . . .

And then I ordered a gin Bloody Mary an hour into a 4.5 hour flight and get:

I ask for a glass and she tells me they are all used up. Really? So my wife finishes her water in a tumbler and I ask if they can make my next one in that glass. "Oh, no, COVID, the ice scoop may touch this glass" Gimme a break.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 11:52 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by elitefreak

I ask for a glass and she tells me they are all used up. Really? So my wife finishes her water in a tumbler and I ask if they can make my next one in that glass. "Oh, no, COVID, the ice scoop may touch this glass" Gimme a break.
I believe ANU is double-catered, so if they used up a lot of glassware in the prior flight, they will be short on the return.

Also, it's technically a health code violation to reuse a glass from someone else, even if that person is your wife. Next time, just self-help and pour the drink from the plastic cup into the glass yourself.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elitefreak
UA2020 EWR-ANU (P) Breakfast

Coffee and prosecco for my wife, but with ice in a tumbler? (More on tumbler issues later).
img
I'll stick to the "better" Bloody Mary (made with gin, folks). Remember, gin is vodka with flavor!
img
Choices are "eggs or waffle". When my wife asks how the eggs are served, FA stumbles, "umm, scrambled, with kale, in a puff pastry".
Apparently the puff pastry fell off during the sous vide cooking lol. I think the egg souffle is quite good.
img
Instead of the insipid fruit cup, got this:
img
Actually quite tasty even thought the "after" photo may not convince you:
img
Then, the second prosecco is served properly. Newish FA, maybe?
img

UA443 ANU-EWR (P) Lunch

Is this a new choice? Have not seen this one posted (but I was off FT for a week). FA called it "Italian Ragu". When I asked what that meant, she stumbled, ran up front and came back that it was polenta (she wanted to call it grits, which would have been accurate):

img
Not bad but not very filling. Polenta alone was tasty. Sauce/veggie topping was a bit spicy in a good way. Pie in the Sky unheated . . .

And then I ordered a gin Bloody Mary an hour into a 4.5 hour flight and get:
img
One of my recent flights, not double-catered, ran out of glassware a bit after halfway through. I didn't notice particularly heavy glassware usage in the cabin, so perhaps they are short catering glasses now too.

Overall it's not that big a deal to me, except that it suggests a strange cheapness (United's one consistent deliverable).

The "ragu" is the standard domestic F meal currently.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Ye olde molten sandwiches both ways on IAH<->MCO on midday & afternoon flights
big V likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I hope that horrible Dole cup is just an aberration on double-catered routes. I always get scared every time I see it because I detest it so much.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Yet there are others for whom the delicious Dole fruit cups, in all their wonderful variety of permutations, are a highlight of the in-flight experience.

I must endorse and agree with the original poster (OP) of those photos as to how much he enjoyed the Dole peach parfait.
elitefreak and HNLbasedFlyer like this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:25 pm

EWR-SFO 8:30 AM on 773

Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Yet there are others for whom the delicious Dole fruit cups, in all their wonderful variety of permutations, are a highlight of the in-flight experience.

I must endorse and agree with the original poster (OP) of those photos as to how much he enjoyed the Dole peach parfait.
Agreed. You know. Many of us grew up with Dole fruit cups and don’t understand why it’s such a big deal to get one. Maybe it is a generational thing or LA thing.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
1/17 SFO - ORD

A joy to see the Thai Chicken make a return instead of the Latin Chicken dish served on all sectors for the last five months. Not sure if a catering mishap or a genuine rotation change, but it was very good and tasted like the original version. Other choice was ragu polenta.

PDBs served and a second offered. Still no nuts or towels. Pie in the Sky served packaged. Good service from ORD crew, and the 788 is a delight.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
IAH-EWR 17 Jan 935 am 763 seat 1A

PDB was choice of OJ or water (but I got bubbly on request). IAH grapes enhanced to a banana.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.