Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The UA Frequent Flyer Quiz Thread: Where Is This?

The UA Frequent Flyer Quiz Thread: Where Is This?

Old Dec 23, 21, 12:35 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Posts: 6,433
On a photo forum I used to participate in there was a "where in the world" thread - if you guessed the place correctly it was your turn to post . . .and on it went.

Might be fun to turn this into that - just need a rule like something in the photo makes it uniquely a given airport even if it's subtle.
drewguy is offline  
Old Dec 23, 21, 12:57 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ORD
Programs: UA GS 2.8MM, Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Posts: 817
LAX gate 75A
tcdtcd is offline  
Old Dec 23, 21, 1:03 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 8,493
Originally Posted by tcdtcd View Post
LAX gate 75A
I agree!
fumje is offline  
Old Dec 23, 21, 1:10 pm
  #19  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 14,263
Originally Posted by tcdtcd View Post
LAX gate 75A
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
I agree!
Uh, not quite:



David

p.s. for those who've shopped in that Hudson News, you may not have realized how enclosed that store is vs. the full ceiling height in the terminal
DELee is online now  
Old Dec 23, 21, 1:12 pm
  #20  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 15,941
Not my picture, but a friend posted a "guess what airport I'm in" on FB a while back, and I got it immediately (as I'm sure many on here would) based on this part of the image (rest of selfie cropped out)

Zorak is online now  
Old Dec 23, 21, 1:29 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Posts: 2,922
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Not my picture, but a friend posted a "guess what airport I'm in" on FB a while back, and I got it immediately (as I'm sure many on here would) based on this part of the image (rest of selfie cropped out)

ORD based on signage.
econ is offline  
Old Dec 23, 21, 2:05 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: SEA ✈️ IAD
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 952
I just want to say I love the idea of this thread!
econ likes this.
Polytonic is online now  
Old Dec 23, 21, 6:11 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CLE, DCA, and 30k feet
Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Posts: 3,300
Originally Posted by econ View Post
ORD based on signage.
Yeah, ORD connector between B and E/F...that Sushi(?) place near E1 (or is that F1... the 'oh there's some space for a gate we haven't used even though it makes no sense for a gate' closest to AA's gates)
lincolnjkc is offline  
Old Dec 23, 21, 6:15 pm
  #24  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 14,263
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
73 seems too obvious but it has to be 73 or 72A based on the curvature
Correct. But why? There's a specific reason why the curvature doesn't work for 72A and/or 72B.

David
DELee is online now  
Old Dec 23, 21, 6:20 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CLE, DCA, and 30k feet
Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Posts: 3,300
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Correct. But why? There's a specific reason why the curvature doesn't work for 72A and/or 72B.

David
It's one of the few remaining signs of UA's original satellite at LAX from the 60(?)s -- before there was an above ground connection between the gates and the main terminal or the odd square tumor on the other side (it's somewhat obvious from a satellite photo for anyone who is interested) -- the curves at the other end don't have gates and are less pronounced (if you can even still see them after the latest renovation) -- so the exterior wall at the right of the frame really limits the options.
lincolnjkc is offline  
Old Dec 23, 21, 6:22 pm
  #26  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 14,263
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
It's one of the few remaining signs of UA's original satellite at LAX from the 60(?)s -- before there was an above ground connection between the gates and the main terminal or the odd square tumor on the other side (it's somewhat obvious from a satellite photo for anyone who is interested) -- the curves at the other end don't have gates and are less pronounced (if you can even still see them after the latest renovation) -- so the exterior wall at the right of the frame really limits the options.
Good point. Also, had the shot been taken for 72B looking north and west, while the curve would have been correct, the Rolling Stone restaurant would have been prominently been featured instead of the shoe shine stand.

David
lincolnjkc likes this.
DELee is online now  
Old Dec 23, 21, 6:50 pm
  #27  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 14,263
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
It's one of the few remaining signs of UA's original satellite at LAX from the 60(?)s -- before there was an above ground connection between the gates and the main terminal or the odd square tumor on the other side (it's somewhat obvious from a satellite photo for anyone who is interested) -- the curves at the other end don't have gates and are less pronounced (if you can even still see them after the latest renovation) -- so the exterior wall at the right of the frame really limits the options.
Additionally, to highlight what lincolnjkc notes, here's some shots posted to the What's to become of LAX for United post-COVID19? thread that show the United Air Lines Satellite 7 Building, its windows and curvature:

Remember, that in the early 60's jet age, one had to take the underground tunnel to go from the T7 counters:

...to Satellite 7:

Also credit to original airporthistory.org article where the photos originated online - and, of course, to the LAX Photo Archves.

One other shot from the airporthistory.org article of then LAX Satellite 7 and the Terminal 7 building:

Also note how smoggy it was even down at LAX in 1961 - that's El Segundo to the south through that stuff.

David
DELee is online now  
Old Dec 23, 21, 6:56 pm
  #28  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: CT/NY
Programs: UA Platinum/1MM, AA PPro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 5,343
This is probably my favorite United-related shot this year, and it has nothing to do with the message on the T-shirt:




Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Uh, not quite:



David

p.s. for those who've shopped in that Hudson News, you may not have realized how enclosed that store is vs. the full ceiling height in the terminal
I was going to call gate 73 before the answer was revealed, as I stared at the shoe shine station waiting for my redeye out of gate 75A.
PTahCha is offline  
Old Dec 23, 21, 7:02 pm
  #29  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 14,263
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
This is probably my favorite United-related shot this year, and it has nothing to do with the message on the T-shirt:

.
So, any comments about the shot and/or hints about where a UA frequent flier might have been part of this event/happening?

.
I was going to call gate 73 before the answer was revealed, as I stared at the shoe shine station waiting for my redeye out of gate 75A.
As was my early AM redeye the evening I took the shot(s). Next time gotta post a reply.

David
DELee is online now  
Old Dec 23, 21, 7:06 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,186
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
So, any comments about the shot and/or hints about where a UA frequent flier might have been part of this event/happening?
JFK return - inaugural
PTahCha and DELee like this.
Repooc17 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread