Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2022, 6:43 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by UAFAM
If you are ok with a Burger and a pack of Pringles, then you can pass those two nasty options, and ask for a Burger from the economy cabin.
Good point… but that really shouldn’t be what J passengers on a pseudo “premium transcon” route have to resort to, when the completion is offering so much better to/from JFK
cczzll likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dw
Good point… but that really shouldn’t be what J passengers on a pseudo “premium transcon” route have to resort to, when the completion is offering so much better to/from JFK
Yes, but when the planes are all full and the fares high, I doubt UA is worried about loosing customers that aren’t happy about the meals.

Don’t get me wrong - would be great if UA stepped up their game. But in this climate with demand outstripping supply, there isn’t much competition for them to worry about trying to improve their service.
Old May 25, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Nothing but snack boxes on a 3+ hour block DCA-IAH today... is this the new normal? Based on the UA site it is, but with AA DL and AS back to hot meals in F this is kinda embarasing.
Old May 25, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
Nothing but snack boxes on a 3+ hour block DCA-IAH today... is this the new normal? Based on the UA site it is, but with AA DL and AS back to hot meals in F this is kinda embarasing.
In that case it is more the airport pairs you are flying. If you fly IAD-IAH, which is virtually the same length, you get a meal in first class (if it's a mainline flight). That's because it's hub to hub.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
In that case it is more the airport pairs you are flying. If you fly IAD-IAH, which is virtually the same length, you get a meal in first class (if it's a mainline flight). That's because it's hub to hub.
Yeah, I flew DFW-EWR (3:50 block time) last week and it was just the Revive box. Kinda lousy. At least EWR-DFW had the heartbomb™ sandwiches.

Wondering if they have catering issues at non-hub locations like DFW. The worker shortage is most certainly acute.

(I also flew EWR-ATL-EWR 2 weeks ago -- that was one of those "hot meal exception" flights until the pandemic. Now it's the water baggie... talk about a fall from grace.)
Old May 26, 2022, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Yeah, I flew DFW-EWR (3:50 block time) last week and it was just the Revive box. Kinda lousy. At least EWR-DFW had the heartbomb™ sandwiches.

Wondering if they have catering issues at non-hub locations like DFW. The worker shortage is most certainly acute.

(I also flew EWR-ATL-EWR 2 weeks ago -- that was one of those "hot meal exception" flights until the pandemic. Now it's the water baggie... talk about a fall from grace.)
DL pre-Pandemic catered EWR-ATL, post-Pandemic it is just a snack and beverage service.

UA has no need to differentiate itself when its competitor is not offering anything different.

I still choose DL for the subjectively better aircraft and not having to be bombarded with iPADs in EWR.

Last edited by kmersh; May 26, 2022 at 10:55 am
Old May 26, 2022, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kmersh
... and not having to be bombared with iPADs in EWR.
Good one.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Serve up a heartbomb on the way there, then Revive you the way back. At least they've got self-consistency!
PTahCha, dmurphynj and BlueSky72 like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 11:51 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by dw
Unless it's just a personal preference. I have no issues with either the chicken dish or the ravioli. But yes, what UA was offering was middle of the road for the route, but now fallen behind their competitions.

DFW is not a catering station for UA, hence why you got the box.
Old May 27, 2022, 5:48 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
transcon redeye snack?

What's the current "snack" in J on the redeye from LAX to JFK? (Or SFO-JFK.) The LAX-JFK flight departs at 10:30 pm and lists "snack" instead of "dinner".
Old May 27, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PTahCha
DFW is not a catering station for UA, hence why you got the box.
In the Before Times, that flight was double-catered from EWR. It's an out-and-back route, so that's fairly easy to do.

Lame excuse from United if they can't double-cater the heartbombs™. Not that anyone needs more of those in their life, but that still shouldn't be the reason for the snackboxes.
Old May 27, 2022, 9:16 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
In the Before Times, that flight was double-catered from EWR. It's an out-and-back route, so that's fairly easy to do.

Lame excuse from United if they can't double-cater the heartbombs™. Not that anyone needs more of those in their life, but that still shouldn't be the reason for the snackboxes.
Probably cost reduction so they don't have to place dry ice in the cart. Also, I was answering your question regarding catering/labor shortage at DFW.

Then again, the tradeoff between the sandwich and snackbox is negligible - they are both not good choices.
dmurphynj and threecap like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by snic
What's the current "snack" in J on the redeye from LAX to JFK? (Or SFO-JFK.) The LAX-JFK flight departs at 10:30 pm and lists "snack" instead of "dinner".
be-careful on JFK’s J cabin, it’s not unusual to swap to 753, aka no lie flat seat, as it happened 5/26 red eye from SFO, and today AM flight to SFO!
Old May 27, 2022, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
If you are ok with a Burger and a pack of Pringles, then you can pass those two nasty options, and ask for a Burger from the economy cabin.
Maybe if we all did that UA would start to get a clue that their premium cabin food is crap.
SPN Lifer, tcdtcd and cczzll like this.
Old May 28, 2022, 11:20 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
be-careful on JFK’s J cabin, it’s not unusual to swap to 753, aka no lie flat seat, as it happened 5/26 red eye from SFO, and today AM flight to SFO!
Man that sucks. I though UA came back to JFK in order to compete with AA, DL et al on premium-heavy transcon routes? If I were a busy executive who wanted to sleep my way from LAX to JFK, all you'd have to do is swap out lie flat seats in J once to lose my business to more reliable competitors forever.

That said... so what's the eastbound redeye snack these days?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.