Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2022, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I don't know why a little oven cannot be installed on the larger regional jets...
They can, but the answer is money. I'm pretty sure that Skywest has them on their Delta branded CR9s
Old Oct 11, 2022, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WIRunner
They can, but the answer is money. I'm pretty sure that Skywest has them on their Delta branded CR9s
And Alaska Airlines.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 6:09 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Makes me miss the old breakfast boxes from Express about 10-12 years ago. I can't imagine that having a shelf stable breakfast option that can be easily heated. Bagels or oatmeal comes to mind. Or shelf stable milk and frosted flakes or cheerios. There's options beyond a gross cheese plate.
Anyone else remember the few years post 9/11 when the ex-United Shuttle 737s without ovens were integrated back to mainline? Catering in F was a (non shelf stable) cold meal served in plastic containers, but still better than what’s being offered now on these morning flights from outstations without proper catering.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
By UA specifications, what would be served in first on EWR-STL in an ERJ175 leaving around 9:45AM? It is over 800 miles and 2 hours. Would it be the fine dining Alps and Dell cheese box? No ovens so it'll definitely be cold. I have not had the "pleasure" of that mass produced cheese box.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by CApreppie
By UA specifications, what would be served in first on EWR-STL in an ERJ175 leaving around 9:45AM? It is over 800 miles and 2 hours. Would it be the fine dining Alps and Dell cheese box? No ovens so it'll definitely be cold. I have not had the "pleasure" of that mass produced cheese box.
If it is anything like my past few IAH-TUS flights then yes...the cheese tray. And a banana if you are lucky.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by hotelboy
If it is anything like my past few IAH-TUS flights then yes...the cheese tray. And a banana if you are lucky.
I can only hope to be lucky and get a tasty banana. Thanks!
Old Oct 12, 2022, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by CApreppie
I had oats breakfast on a recent regional flight covering nearly 1,500 each way. My first time in a long time I didn't finish it. Really something.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold
HNL to SFO this month on a fauxlaris 777.

The choices were the chicken katsu (which I avoided due to seeing they're nuggets now), or the spicy ginger tofu. I opted for the tofu and was pretty surprised; it was decently spicy and the tofu was crisp. Definitely one of the better (best?) main items I've had during the dog dish era. (The FA asked me how I liked it when she came back for my plates and said it's the preferred meal of the crew.)

The meal overall was EXTREMELY carb-heavy. In lieu of a salad, I was served ANOTHER rice dish (!?) that I could not figure out. Rice, carrots, fried onions or another root vegetable, chunks of ham and a squirt of mayonnaise at the bottom. Absolutely bizarre. Perhaps someone can help me decipher this culinary mystery. I would have loved a salad, even a slaw — but not rice.

The roll was hard and cold. The mango cake was pretty good; I never like the desserts and usually get cheese plates when flying nonstop to CA from TYO, but this one I'd happily eat again.

The tofu was good enough to save this meal. With better presentation (and salad) it could be a solid meal.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cczzll
HNL to SFO this month on a fauxlaris 777.

The choices were the chicken katsu (which I avoided due to seeing they're nuggets now), or the spicy ginger tofu. I opted for the tofu and was pretty surprised; it was decently spicy and the tofu was crisp. Definitely one of the better (best?) main items I've had during the dog dish era. (The FA asked me how I liked it when she came back for my plates and said it's the preferred meal of the crew.)

img

The meal overall was EXTREMELY carb-heavy. In lieu of a salad, I was served ANOTHER rice dish (!?) that I could not figure out. Rice, carrots, fried onions or another root vegetable, chunks of ham and a squirt of mayonnaise at the bottom. Absolutely bizarre. Perhaps someone can help me decipher this culinary mystery. I would have loved a salad, even a slaw — but not rice.

img

The roll was hard and cold. The mango cake was pretty good; I never like the desserts and usually get cheese plates when flying nonstop to CA from TYO, but this one I'd happily eat again.

img

The tofu was good enough to save this meal. With better presentation (and salad) it could be a solid meal.
I like that main. I also had FA recommend it. It is nice with some pronounced spice. While I also like the katsu, I am quite happy with that.

The side (rice) is the same for all the other options.
cczzll likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:02 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Well, I’d like to say I’m surprised but I’m not - flew SDF to ORD on a GoJet CRJ-550. Both catering and service were significantly better than anything offered mainline ORD <—-> NYC area airports. FA kept drinks full, did a a pass with the package cheese product then a second pass with a different snack basket with chips, almonds, cheez its, maybe some fresh fruit, and a handful of other things I’m blanking on. How he managed all of that on a 45 minute flight when it takes most crews 45 minutes to get out of the jump seat…
Old Oct 12, 2022, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by lilpisher
Well, I’d like to say I’m surprised but I’m not - flew SDF to ORD on a GoJet CRJ-550. Both catering and service were significantly better than anything offered mainline ORD <—-> NYC area airports. FA kept drinks full, did a a pass with the package cheese product then a second pass with a different snack basket with chips, almonds, cheez its, maybe some fresh fruit, and a handful of other things I’m blanking on. How he managed all of that on a 45 minute flight when it takes most crews 45 minutes to get out of the jump seat…
For some FAs, service is their passion.

David
dw, elitefreak, MatthewLAX and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 12:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
What is typically served in PP EWR-LAX recently? Is it menu service with a choice or just a tray of whatever that shows up, take it or leave it?
Old Oct 13, 2022, 7:21 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by bocastephen
What is typically served in PP EWR-LAX recently? Is it menu service with a choice or just a tray of whatever that shows up, take it or leave it?
Same as business class choices - so chicken or pasta item, same tray setup. You may run out of choices when they get to the last row of PP.
bocastephen and MatthewLAX like this.

Last edited by PTahCha; Oct 13, 2022 at 8:11 am
Old Oct 13, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
MEX-IAH 3:05pm departure - just FA walking down aisle with platter with nuts and stroopwaffels, plus drink service. Flight was booked at >2hrs, and I've had full cold cuts/cheese/etc meals on shorter flights on LH/LX (among others). Sad.

Got a great torta from Tacanon in MEX T1 (just before UA checkin/security), so all was well.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by marks88
MEX-IAH 3:05pm departure - just FA walking down aisle with platter with nuts and stroopwaffels, plus drink service. Flight was booked at >2hrs, and I've had full cold cuts/cheese/etc meals on shorter flights on LH/LX (among others). Sad.

Got a great torta from Tacanon in MEX T1 (just before UA checkin/security), so all was well.
sadly, this flight just misses the 800-mile cutoff.

did you stop by MEX United Club? How is it? (i.e. could it also compensate for lack of in-flight meal?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.