Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Finally had the falafel plate ex-SFO yesterday. This is unquestionably the way to go. I was very skeptical, because falafels should be eaten fresh and crisp. But although not fresh or truly crisp, they were not soggy, and everything on the plate fundamentally tasted good. No contest versus the other options though I haven't tried the za'atar chicken yet (having that next week).

Old Oct 13, 2022, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cricketer
Finally had the falafel plate ex-SFO yesterday. This is unquestionably the way to go. I was very skeptical, because falafels should be eaten fresh and crisp. But although not fresh or truly crisp, they were not soggy, and everything on the plate fundamentally tasted good. No contest versus the other options though I haven't tried the za'atar chicken yet (having that next week).
My preferred choice too.
st530 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

img
Honestly I wouldn't bother unless simply satisfying curiosity is a high priority (I do know that feeling!).

I agree with all the others who say the falafel dish is the best option currently.
SPN Lifer and frutabell like this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fumje
Honestly I wouldn't bother unless simply satisfying curiosity is a high priority (I do know that feeling!).

I agree with all the others who say the falafel dish is the best option currently.
That is my only reason for trying it. I love the flavour of za'atar and after everything I've read, really keen to see how it's been destroyed. Also, 6 legs in 9 days, may as well mix it up a little.

Ironically I ended up having some really good falafel for lunch before my falafel flight yesterday, but that's the way the falafel crumbles I guess! Impressive that it still tasted good in the air after that.
SPN Lifer and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is my only reason for trying it. I love the flavour of za'atar and after everything I've read, really keen to see how it's been destroyed. Also, 6 legs in 9 days, may as well mix it up a little.

Ironically I ended up having some really good falafel for lunch before my falafel flight yesterday, but that's the way the falafel crumbles I guess! Impressive that it still tasted good in the air after that.
I'm actually a bit doubtful they put any za'atar in it at all. While different za'atar blends can vary a lot, I can't taste or see anything identifiable as it in the dish (no herbal taste, no sesame, the only green anything seems to be spinach). Might be an under-the-radar version of sashimi menu writer's work.

Also to all the FAs who describe the dish as 'having a kick' -- it really doesn't! It just has something red.
wrp96 and tcdtcd like this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
The question is will UA service it this nicely or will it just be in a plastic package? Please report back.
Pre-packed cheese plus Corn Flakes, Biscotti and a greenish banana. Pathetic. it's as if what they happened to have sitting around became breakfast today.
MatthewLAX and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
did you stop by MEX United Club? How is it? (i.e. could it also compensate for lack of in-flight meal?)
The variety of offerings at the club were passable, but the quality and presentation was downright sad. I wasn't flying to IAH and thus got a meal onboard, but if I was, I'd plan to fuel up before arriving at the airport.
SPN Lifer and marks88 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dkc192
The variety of offerings at the club were passable, but the quality and presentation was downright sad. I wasn't flying to IAH and thus got a meal onboard, but if I was, I'd plan to fuel up before arriving at the airport.
Curious, what was your meal? Is MEX double-catered like PVR/CUN or was it "different" catering than the meatballs and zatar chicken?
Old Oct 14, 2022, 6:33 am

Chicken w/ Polenta or Ravioli?

Can’t make this up… chicken with polenta or ravioli?… which would you prefer? Ummmmmm…. Ok which looks better?… Ummm, I’ve been at United a long time and both of them are. We’ll I guess maybe the polenta is healthy…

ended up ordering ravioli. Wasn’t bad.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 7:14 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by lovefly88
Can’t make this up… chicken with polenta or ravioli?… which would you prefer? Ummmmmm…. Ok which looks better?… Ummm, I’ve been at United a long time and both of them are. We’ll I guess maybe the polenta is healthy…

ended up ordering ravioli. Wasn’t bad.
What's the concern?
ijgordon likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by marks88
MEX-IAH 3:05pm departure - just FA walking down aisle with platter with nuts and stroopwaffels, plus drink service. Flight was booked at >2hrs, and I've had full cold cuts/cheese/etc meals on shorter flights on LH/LX (among others). Sad.
Pretty sad that's a pretzel/stroopwafel flight now. I recall getting a meal on that route just before Covid-era.

Originally Posted by dkc192
Was there a few weeks ago also. Agree that the food presentation was unappealing to the point where I didn't even want to test the quality. Good thing I ate before heading to the airport. Some self-pour alcohol options though.

I don't think it's all that bad, but I've only had it a couple times so I haven't gotten sick of it yet. But I did like the falafel dish too.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 11:27 am

I’m flying ORD - LAX this next Monday and these are the choice. I think I’m gonna try the falafel, what do you guys think?
Old Oct 14, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Curious, what was your meal? Is MEX double-catered like PVR/CUN or was it "different" catering than the meatballs and zatar chicken?
Different menu than ex-US options, so not double catered. I had a chicken dish (with a proper piece of chicken breast); the other choice was some pasta IIRC.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by geoshina

I’m flying ORD - LAX this next Monday and these are the choice. I think I’m gonna try the falafel, what do you guys think?
Very funny - literally got the same options IAH-LAX next Tuesday and was going to ask the same thing. Interested in hearing the responses.
geoshina likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geoshina
img

Originally Posted by Happy Traveling Consultant
Very funny - literally got the same options IAH-LAX next Tuesday and was going to ask the same thing. Interested in hearing the responses.
Scroll up for some responses! Those are the standard options for a while now. Consensus (my opinion included) is that falafel is the best.
st530 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.