Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:24 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
The receipt definitively doesn't have that $125 charge. I've got a 3h layover in SFO on Sunday, is this something I should be able to handle at the club or do I need to call?
My two hockey pucks is to try at the club first and if that doesn't work/they can't do it, you can call reservations from the club and have them do it-and then have the club print out the necessary recpt

Originally Posted by bdraco
Has anyone ever been booked on a 737 that got swapped for a 757 (or 767) lie flats with a pet?
That hasn't happened to me but that is something to watch for both as a schedule change with an equipment swap or under irrops as if does happen, you either will have to ride in the back as in-cabin pets are not permitted in a premium cabin on any '57 (lie flat or std) or 67's or find an alternative flight/routing with an aircraft that allows in cabin pets up front

Last edited by goalie; Sep 6, 2014 at 4:28 pm Reason: added quote and response
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
CONUS to HNL

Mrs. CMCULP and I have done 2 prior military PCS moves to and from hawaii, both using pre-merger UA. Pet traveled as checked baggage then. It appears pets still can if traveling internationally, but not domestically, even to Hawaii. No in-cabin pets inbound because of the quarantine rules.

Has anyone had any recent experience traveling with an animal to Hawaii? Do you any option other than Petsafe? Obviously checked baggage is preferable as it saves you from the 2 extra stops to air cargo hours before and after takeoff and arrival....
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cmculp
Mrs. CMCULP and I have done 2 prior military PCS moves to and from hawaii, both using pre-merger UA. Pet traveled as checked baggage then. It appears pets still can if traveling internationally, but not domestically, even to Hawaii. No in-cabin pets inbound because of the quarantine rules.

Has anyone had any recent experience traveling with an animal to Hawaii? Do you any option other than Petsafe? Obviously checked baggage is preferable as it saves you from the 2 extra stops to air cargo hours before and after takeoff and arrival....
If Oahu, your pet(s) must generally arrive by 3:30pm or they are held overnight. With UA, PetSafe is the only way to go. All animals (regardless of air carrier) will go to inspection facility, not baggage claim, and have to be picked up there. This applies also to pets connecting to outer islands. Outer islands arrivals direct from west coast don't have the arrival time restriction as you arrange for a local vet to do inspection on arrival.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If Oahu, your pet(s) must generally arrive by 3:30pm or they are held overnight. With UA, PetSafe is the only way to go. All animals (regardless of air carrier) will go to inspection facility, not baggage claim, and have to be picked up there. This applies also to pets connecting to outer islands. Outer islands arrivals direct from west coast don't have the arrival time restriction as you arrange for a local vet to do inspection on arrival.
Oahu. Roger on the pet inspection facility (down at the far end of the terminal from United). So for about $200 more than the old system (checked baggage) you get to arrive 3 hours early at the air cargo terminal. The non-stop IAD-HNL arrives prior to the pick-up cutoff, though it is actually easier to have them hold him until the next day (when the MWR boarding kennels are open for drop-off).
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
Two Kittens in Cabin - Allowed?

I will be bringing two kittens home from ATL-YOW in a few weeks. Delta allows two kittens to be considered one pet for carry-on transport. From what I've read, United used to allow this however I can't find any current references to this allowance. Has anyone done this recently? I'd prefer to fly United as it allows for a quicker flight home.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:15 pm

I'm assuming you are bringing a carry-on kennel of some sort. On the site, it mentions the following:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ls/kennel.aspx

Each kennel should contain no more than one adult dog or cat, or no more than two puppies or kittens younger than six months, of comparable size, and under 20 pounds (9 kg) each.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:26 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by edcho
I'm assuming you are bringing a carry-on kennel of some sort. On the site, it mentions the following:

Whew..both of my Siberian tiger kittens are just under 9kg...
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
Originally Posted by edcho

Just called United. Apparently that is for cargo only. The rule is now one cat/kitten max. Guess I'll have to fly Delta then.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by Reid
Just called United. Apparently that is for cargo only. The rule is now one cat/kitten max. Guess I'll have to fly Delta then.
Indeed, according to the united.com in-cabin pet policy page, "With the exception of birds, there may only be one pet per kennel, and the animal must be able to stand up and turn around comfortably. Two birds may travel in the same kennel." (Bolding mine) Not a customer-friendly change...
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I would not rely on hope for something like this. Even under the old method I thought it was a challenge for DEN-OGG, and OGG-DEN recently as well. In your shoes, I would be calling now, and again after 3/3 to make sure this goes well for you.
Yes, given that this is a move I would start planning on an alternative (checking as cargo on your flight, for instance).
Or, perhaps a refund since they changed policy on you and can no longer honor the reservation. You could then find a different airline that would allow you to take your pet in cabin, if that is very important for you.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
My (almost) original OT post at another thread:

UA allows pets in cabin to Hawaii. Saw in-cabin toy dog properly met at OGG after flight from LAX last week Monday (UA635 1/26) by vet assistant at jetway to do paper check and chip scan. For those who don't know, pets brought into Island must have import certificate from Hawaii Dep't of Agriculture to prevent introduction of rabies. Pets in cabin leaving Hawaii are only subject to normal UA rules/restrictions.

The Maui-bound toy pooch rode in F somewhere behind me - I was in 2B and didn't even realize dog was on board until waiting for jetway on arrival. If this was an exception to the policy, maybe who you are means something. Pets are normally carted from a/c hold to inspection rooms on the side of the the cargo facility where you had to meet vet rep and pick 'em up. This couple skipped all that, but obviously had everything arranged and didn't circumvent Hawaii requirements.

Addition:
Dog may have been "emotional support" pet, an entitlement that is blossoming in abuse (if even necessary), IMHO. A couple flying in 1st Class to Maui to stay at an expensive hotel. I'm sure Paris Hilton also suffers w/o her 4-legged photo object.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:35 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Sounds like the model cabin pet to me. You didn't even notice it onboard, and it went through the necessitated vet check on arrival.

Same deal for US-Japan; you have to have a chip and paperwork showing proper rabies vaccination, whereas coming from Japan to the US requires nada. (I know because I've done that.)
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:01 am

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
My (almost) original OT post at another thread:

UA allows pets in cabin to Hawaii. Saw in-cabin toy dog properly met at OGG after flight from LAX last week Monday (UA635 1/26) by vet assistant at jetway to do paper check and chip scan. For those who don't know, pets brought into Island must have import certificate from Hawaii Dep't of Agriculture to prevent introduction of rabies. Pets in cabin leaving Hawaii are only subject to normal UA rules/restrictions.

The Maui-bound toy pooch rode in F somewhere behind me - I was in 2B and didn't even realize dog was on board until waiting for jetway on arrival. If this was an exception to the policy, maybe who you are means something. Pets are normally carted from a/c hold to inspection rooms on the side of the the cargo facility where you had to meet vet rep and pick 'em up. This couple skipped all that, but obviously had everything arranged and didn't circumvent Hawaii requirements.

Addition:
Dog may have been "emotional support" pet, an entitlement that is blossoming in abuse (if even necessary), IMHO. A couple flying in 1st Class to Maui to stay at an expensive hotel. I'm sure Paris Hilton also suffers w/o her 4-legged photo object.
HI has always had more restrictive rules about "importing" animals. Its the nature of an Island culture that has been completley changed by invasive speciies and disease.
But nothing about the above description of what happened is out of the ordianary or special. The animal has to meet incoming requirements and gets checked and screened.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Booked UA 737 with dog, change to 777-200...do I have to lose my upgrade?

Flying at christmastime with in-cabin pet, used miles to clear an upgrade.

aircraft changed from 737 to a three class 777-200...if I understand correctly, an in-cabin pet can't travel in business on this plane. is that correct? is it my job to let them know? I confirmed Fido's itinerary has changed as well, and the agent mentioned nothing about an issue with a business seat and my dog--I came across it after the phone call while researching seat selection.

I'm not inclined to alert UA to this just yet, as for all I know the aircraft could change again, and anything could happen between now and december.

I'm not familiar enough with this aircraft to know: would it be possible to keep my 'backpack' by my feet or between the seat and the window if the FA doesn't know it contains a dog? He's small and doesn't bark; my seatmate will be my husband. I'm sure I could plead ignorance and deal with it day of travel (lucky someone gets a battlefield upgrade and I sit in coach with Fido) but would I get my miles back?

I posted this here rather than 'travel with pets' as I'm looking primarily for familiarity with the aircraft and UA policies. Fido will be just fine in his backpack...next to or under my seat, whichever seat it is.

Suggestions? If I don't deal with it until day of travel, what's the worst that could happen?
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:38 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
You cannot have a pet in cabin on the 777 in C or F. That is it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.