Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Location: Kapalua, Maui- just paradise and Sun Valley, Idaho!!
Programs: Mileage Plus 1K .96MM (1MM this year-humm)

I saw on United Hub that starting on 3-3 United is adopting the same procedure as Continental for traveling with pets NOT in the cabin. I called the Pet phone that they didn't know anything regarding Maui and Boise. It looks like now the dogs will go to a different part of airport (Cargo?) and be checked in, then we go to counter. Anybody have experience traveling with pets down below with CA? I think this will be an improvement, but not sure. We take our 2 dogs back and forth to Maui from Boise a couple of times a year. TIA
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by lapeter
I saw on United Hub that starting on 3-3 United is adopting the same procedure as Continental for traveling with pets NOT in the cabin. I called the Pet phone that they didn't know anything regarding Maui and Boise. It looks like now the dogs will go to a different part of airport (Cargo?) and be checked in, then we go to counter. Anybody have experience traveling with pets down below with CA? I think this will be an improvement, but not sure. We take our 2 dogs back and forth to Maui from Boise a couple of times a year. TIA
I was told the same thing by a res agent. CO treats pets as cargo so at every airport, you need to check your pet in at the UA cargo location which is normally far located in a different building from the main passenger terminal at large airports. UA/CO merged company will no longer take your pets in the main passenger terminal.

Anyone with CO traveling with pets? Doesn't sound like the pets will be treated as well if they are checked in the cargo terminal vs. the passenger terminal.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by earlson
I was told the same thing by a res agent. CO treats pets as cargo so at every airport, you need to check your pet in at the UA cargo location which is normally far located in a different building from the main passenger terminal at large airports. UA/CO merged company will no longer take your pets in the main passenger terminal.

Anyone with CO traveling with pets? Doesn't sound like the pets will be treated as well if they are checked in the cargo terminal vs. the passenger terminal.
I volunteer as the lab director at a national animal welfare and recovery organization (including bringing animals from overseas for service men and women)and we have a policy in place to never use airlines that treat animals as cargo...only those that treat them as a special class using cargo space...so we have never used CO for animal transport, even to our facilities in the Houston area! I forwarded this thread to our director in the New York area this morning and she responded that she was able to confirm the UA policy change and that UA will no longer be used by our organization...SIGH!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/cont...s/default.aspx

This is the United Preview Site's section on pet transport. It appears to be updated for the post-3/3 world.

From the site:

Pets are accepted at the Continental QuickPac / United SPD Package counters at airports, a ticket counter if designated for QuickPac/SPD, or the cargo facility should the first two not exist.

In BOI, This would be the United Freight Facility. Hours are 5:30am-6:00pm M-F.
Station Information: http://unitedcargo.com/utilities/cp1...x=46&Reset.x=&

At OGG, This would be the Ticket Counter. Hours are 10:45am-9:15pm Daily.
Station Information: http://www.unitedcargo.com/utilities...x=28&Reset.x=&

I hope I have been some help. Good luck.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:31 am

It appears that this policy is going to affect the military:

http://www.stripes.com/news/shipping...-rule-1.168509

I had gone onto the United Facebook page and it is inundated with posts regarding this policy from military families.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by kwildnj

This is the United Preview Site's section on pet transport. It appears to be updated for the post-3/3 world.

From the site:

Pets are accepted at the Continental QuickPac / United SPD Package counters at airports, a ticket counter if designated for QuickPac/SPD, or the cargo facility should the first two not exist.

In BOI, This would be the United Freight Facility. Hours are 5:30am-6:00pm M-F.
Station Information: http://unitedcargo.com/utilities/cp1...x=46&Reset.x=&

At OGG, This would be the Ticket Counter. Hours are 10:45am-9:15pm Daily.
Station Information: http://www.unitedcargo.com/utilities...x=28&Reset.x=&

===============================

In the larger airports using QuickPak or (UA "SPDs") which are done at baggage claim offices, kennel carried pets will be handled there.
CSR's are being trained as we speak because normally, agents who bid that area (Baggage Claim) instead of working "in the operation", have not handled (processed) outbound kennels. What was done at the ticket counter will now be done at the baggage claim office (except in small airports where cargo handling is probably very close by anyway).

Pets-in-Cabin will still be processed at the ticket counter, although I can envision a rash of "service" and "emotional" (larger - ordinarily in a kennel) animals.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by ExitRowLegroom
I had gone onto the United Facebook page and it is inundated with posts regarding this policy from military families.
It seems to me like the old UA policy just wasn't charging enough especially for larger animals. But they are going to get lots of bad press for this change no doubt.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:21 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ExitRowLegroom
...I had gone onto the United Facebook page and it is inundated with posts regarding this policy from military families.
There is quite a firestorm on Facebook on the fees primarily and on the cargo approach secondarily, especially from military families -- UA has a major PR issue and likely to see this in the mainstream media soon. Suspect UA will be forced backtrack some on this -- and it better be soon.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by earlson

I thought they handled them from the cargo terminal so they could take special care of them under their PetSafe program.

The fee increase seems to be to accommodate the overhead of the better handling using freight forwarders.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Yeah UA is getting absolutely hammered about this on their facebook page. It is definitely not good for the airline. Hopefully something can be worked out that makes everybody happy.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:04 pm

Programs: IHGPlatinum, Marriott Silver
Made my reservations for my civilian government move from HNL-ORD-DCA, with my dog for March 7. Definitely a price hike! Used to be $250 flat rate, now I was quoted $479 since the dog+kennel weight exceeds 100 pounds (by 5 pounds...grrr). Maybe I'll put her on a diet to get below 100 lbs before the move and save over $100. And yes, I have to check her in at the cargo building at least 3 hours prior to the flight.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
I have a pet reservation for April out of OGG for an in cabin pet. However the new policy seems to be :

Pets are not permitted on flights to and from Hawaii.

I've never had a problem with a dog Ex-Hawaii. I hoping they will still honor my existing reservation.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by bdraco
I have a pet reservation for April out of OGG for an in cabin pet. However the new policy seems to be :

Pets are not permitted on flights to and from Hawaii.

I've never had a problem with a dog Ex-Hawaii. I hoping they will still honor my existing reservation.
I would not rely on hope for something like this. Even under the old method I thought it was a challenge for DEN-OGG, and OGG-DEN recently as well. In your shoes, I would be calling now, and again after 3/3 to make sure this goes well for you.

Last edited by l etoile; Feb 19, 2012 at 10:15 am Reason: merge/remove now-deleted quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Where exactly do you see that statement?

The only thing I see about Hawaii travel is the need for quarantene upon arrival, but nothing outright barring travel.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by kwildnj
Where exactly do you see that statement?

The only thing I see about Hawaii travel is the need for quarantene upon arrival, but nothing outright barring travel.
http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../in_cabin.aspx

Pets are no longer permitted in cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.