Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2012, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
also what will you do with the animal if you have to go into a place of business.

Take it with me of course!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:28 am

Does anyone know if you are still required to have a "Certificate of Health" when you travel with an in-cabin pet domestically? The old United had specific verbiage about the paperwork you needed from your vet, but the new site doesn't say anything about it. Anyone have a recent experience that knows the answer? I'm flying with my dog on Thursday and want to make sure I have everything needed.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Cohall
Does anyone know if you are still required to have a "Certificate of Health" when you travel with an in-cabin pet domestically? The old United had specific verbiage about the paperwork you needed from your vet, but the new site doesn't say anything about it. Anyone have a recent experience that knows the answer? I'm flying with my dog on Thursday and want to make sure I have everything needed.
Since the merger we reserve and pay for our in-cabin pet online when we buy the ticket. We are never asked anything about the pet at check-in. I'm still carrying a health certificate just n case, but we are never asked for it.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
It's a great idea, but you'd have to fly in coach. Almost all the UA international planes have been converted to lie-flat seats, and you can't fly with a cabin pet in these seats. We brought a dog back from Sweden this summer and I had to downgrade my business class ticket to coach.

Most dogs can be trained to go 8-12 hours without a bathroom break. But you'd want to look for shorter connecting legs rather than long non-stop flights.

A dog is indeed a great companion when traveling but also a lot of extra work. While I certainly miss the dog, I always notice how easy travel is when I'm not traveling with a dog.

Originally Posted by 5khours
I do a lot of international travel and have been thinking about getting a small dog as a travel partner. Does anyone have any experience with this? I knew someone who did a RT TPAC every month and always traveled with a dog in the cabin. Assuming the vaccination/quarantine issue can be solved, I was wondering.

1. Can you take a small dog as cabin baggage in UA on GF.

2. Will the FAs allow the dog to share the seat during the flight or do they have to be in some kind of carrying case on the floor throughout the flight?

3. How do you handle bio-breaks for a dog on the plane.

4. Will UA allows dogs in an IFL?

5. Am I totally out of mind to think this could possibly work?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: This one time I got upgraded ord-bos
Two Dogs, One Kennel?

I'm in the process of booking petsafe reservations for my two dogs. I already have a ticket on United and am now adding them to one leg of the reservation.

The dogs are 15 pounds each but too big to fit under the seat. United will not let me transport them in together in one kennel because they are older than six months - but it would let me transport two younger dogs of the exact same size in the exact same kennel. Delta has let me transport the dogs in one kennel before, but I can't use them now because I already have the United ticket.

Is there any way to convince United to let me use one kennel? I am even willing to pay the fee for two kennels, so it's not about money. The dogs will be much happier if they can travel together. I am not optimistic that I can convince United to make an exception, but if there are any tricks that might work, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Originally Posted by nycsfo
I'm in the process of booking petsafe reservations for my two dogs....but it would let me transport two younger dogs of the exact same size in the exact same kennel.

Is there any way to convince United to let me use one kennel? ..... I am not optimistic that I can convince United to make an exception, but if there are any tricks that might work, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.
I think its just as likely they would make an exception in proportion to your ability to convince them the dogs are under 6 months old.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: CO,WN
Pet upgrade for my cat

My kitty is flying LAS-ORD without me, and he's booked at that level below coach aka cargo -- oh the indignity, over 3 hours, it's even worse than an E- middle! I'm a 1K, 1m+ lifetime. Any ideas how I might use a regional upgrade to bring the little guy (my family member) up from cargo to Y? Maybe even 2 upgrades to bring him up to F, so the flight attendants can fawn over him and give him a snack? Or perhaps I can name him as my partner?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 4:19 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I'm in a bit of a conundrum here. I am in the NRT area and have a puppy to bring home. We're talking a very small, very young puppy (about 12 weeks old); very well-behaved, but still a puppy.

Problem is, I'm booked in C on a UAA 747 NRT-SFO-DEN.

I am hesitant to book the puppy as cargo. Very hesitant (as is the breeder, too; she really would prefer I fly with her in the cabin).

I see a few options; what do you think?:

• Try to convince UA that there is plenty of stowage room on the 747 UD window--a soft-sided puppy carrier would definitely fit in the storage cubby!
  • Try to talk UA into a downgrade on the 747 to E+ and suffer through 9 hours of the worst E+ seat. [This is the most likely outcome IMHO.]
  • Change my routing to NRT-SEA-DEN and get the barcalounger C (I don't know that UA allows pets in C on the barcaloungers, though they should).
  • Book a one-way award ticket in Y for myself for the puppy. (Allowing me to get her onboard and on the upper deck with me.) Least likely IMHO due to logistical problems.
  • Change my ticket to an ANA flight for the return. This is the most expensive option, and I'd lose my upgrade in the process. But ANA seems more accommodating of pets in the cabin on TPACs than does UA.
  • Book a new trip for a few weeks from now, planned to include Y sectors on the return. Probably on the nonstop IAD-NRT.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by exerda
  • Try to convince UA that there is plenty of stowage room on the 747 UD window--a soft-sided puppy carrier would definitely fit in the storage cubby! Might work, but very risky. It depends on the crew. I know people who have gotten away with it. I had one experience where the gate agent tried to upgrade even thought I had a cat with me, but the crew nixed the idea.
  • Try to talk UA into a downgrade on the 747 to E+ and suffer through 9 hours of the worst E+ seat. I survived 15 hours in E+, so I am not so sysmpathetic...[This is the most likely outcome IMHO.]
  • Change my routing to NRT-SEA-DEN and get the barcalounger C (I don't know that UA allows pets in C on the barcaloungers, though they should). If you live for C, probably the best option. Also, the shortest possible flight for the puppy.
  • Book a one-way award ticket in Y for myself for the puppy. (Allowing me to get her onboard and on the upper deck with me.) Least likely IMHO due to logistical problems. See answer to your first idea. Not sure how you would check in twice for the same flight anyway.
  • Change my ticket to an ANA flight for the return. This is the most expensive option, and I'd lose my upgrade in the process. But ANA seems more accommodating of pets in the cabin on TPACs than does UA.
  • Book a new trip for a few weeks from now, planned to include Y sectors on the return. Probably on the nonstop IAD-NRT. That's a darn long flight for any animal, let alone a puppy in a tiny carrier.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 6:20 pm

Thank you for the thoughts!

Round one: PetSafe is claiming she will cost $1500 to ship on UA, and advised using ANA because "they are much cheaper than United." The local agent also claimed I would have to ship her all the way to my final destination and that it could take "up to a week to go through outgoing quarantine at NRT." (?) I don't believe they deal with non-military pets very often from the way he talked. The UA agent I spoke to on the phone said I could check her for NRT-SFO and pick her up at SFO, and transfer her to in-cabin then (FWIW--I wouldn't want to subject a small puppy to that kind of experience, though!).

I called Reservations and found space in Y to bring her as a cabin pet. I had no luck talking the agent into letting me stay in C; she said the rule was "under the seat, not beside the seat." I am awaiting hearing back as to whether the puppy will be ready (she is getting her vet inspection, pedigree, etc., ready today, hopefully) before I downgrade to Y and go that route, in case for some reason there is a delay and I have to make a return trip to pick her up.

I suppose I can then try to wheedle another agent into letting me bring her into C, but I think the computer just won't let her add a pet to a C res regardless of the seating situation. (That was the reasoning behind my cockamamie notion of a separate award ticket in Y, anyway.)

I can manage a longhaul Y flight to bring this puppy home with me, though.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Maybe you can find a friend who want to go to the states in Y+ on an award ticket?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by bdraco
Maybe you can find a friend who want to go to the states in Y+ on an award ticket?
I was going to have my wife do that ( you say!), but it was too short of notice for her (though she was the one saying I might come back with a puppy, while I kept telling her it would be another trip--and she's still in the States, too). She actually doesn't mind Y+ over C, claiming the lie-flats are uncomfortable for her. To each her own, I suppose.

I had a great phone agent who tried her best; she and her supervisor both wanted to put me in C, but SHARES wouldn't let them. Well, them's the rules, after all, even if IMHO the cubby on the 747 UD is a better place for a small pet than under a seat in Y. She's definitely getting a compliment sent to her supervisor for all her effort. ^

Last edited by exerda; Apr 20, 2013 at 3:14 am
Old Jun 28, 2013, 6:53 pm

I wanted to post to the "Travel with pets on UA" thread with a good summary on the first post, but since that thread is closed, I'll add it here.

I just booked my 45 pound Australian Shepherd on PetSafe from SAN to CMH through ORD, and the ORD-CMH leg is on an ERJ 170. Coming back I originally booked a flight that used an ERJ 145 for one of the legs, and PetSafe told me that flight wouldn't work and gave me 3 suggestions that would - all of which had ERJ 170's on the itinerary. So I can vouch that ERJ 170's are fine for use in PetSafe, but for my pet (who was in a 400 series kennel) the ERJ 145 wouldn't work.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus (PLATINUM); Qatar Privilege Club (PLATINUM)
Doggy KTM DEL EWR PDX

Dear FT friends: I have a 6 month old Lhasa Apso puppy. I need to take her from Kathmandu to Portland, Oregon (PDX), via DEL, on UA83. [B] Can I take her in the BF/F cabins? She will surely not make it in the hold for 14 hours
Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by OnePassenger
Dear FT friends: I have a 6 month old Lhasa Apso puppy. I need to take her from Kathmandu to Portland, Oregon (PDX), via DEL, on UA83. [B] Can I take her in the BF/F cabins? She will surely not make it in the hold for 14 hours
Good luck!

See link: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../in_cabin.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.