Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
I may have read this wrong but I thought the thing being suggested as not allowed on UA was the pit bull breed.

UA allows pit bulls in reinforced crates.
ah, okay, that makes more sense. thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 6:32 pm

Large Sherpa Original Deluxe Pet Carrier

Hello,

Does anyone has used this size of bag on a United flight like an Embraer RJ145? Any issues that I should know?

Thanks
Old Jan 3, 2016, 7:07 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Welcome to FlyerTalk, skipper123!

I believe that, as long as it fits under the seat in front of you, it should be fine.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:59 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, United/Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cmculp
Mrs. CMCULP and I have done 2 prior military PCS moves to and from hawaii, both using pre-merger UA. Pet traveled as checked baggage then. It appears pets still can if traveling internationally, but not domestically, even to Hawaii. No in-cabin pets inbound because of the quarantine rules.
UA made specific exemptions for military personnel on PCS orders. The rest of the flying public must use PetSafe on all itineraries (or in-cabin assuming it's allowable on that flight).
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:42 am

Pet Carrier size for 1st class 737-900

Does anyone know how much space there is under the seats in first class on a 737-900? Mom is taking her Shih Tzu and I would prefer her under the seat. Mom is 88, blind and handicapped. This is her first trip alone (without me as her companion) and she is very nervous. She does not want her dog to travel in Pet Safe. To give the dog a bit more room I found a nice soft wheeled carrier but the overall dimensions are 23x15x12. I know the 12 high should not be a problem since it will collapse down. I am wondering if she could put it the 23" across the seat and push the 15" under the seat in front of her for take off. I just moved to her to Row 3 Window seat.
And just a FYI Shih Tzu's have hair not fur and are considered hypo allergenic. The dog will be at the groomers and shave short for this trip.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
That sounds a tad large, I use this carrier for our 11 lb dog:
https://www.amazon.com/Teafco-Duff-O...ne+pet+carrier

We've been on multiple 739s with it in F and it mostly fits under the seat with the handle pushed down. The FAs have been good about it when they check before departure, with a small protrusion coming out. I think that if your bag is soft on all sides it can scrunch down, but if it is rigid you may have issues with length and width.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
That sounds a tad large, I use this carrier for our 11 lb dog:
https://www.amazon.com/Teafco-Duff-O...ne+pet+carrier

We've been on multiple 739s with it in F and it mostly fits under the seat with the handle pushed down. The FAs have been good about it when they check before departure, with a small protrusion coming out. I think that if your bag is soft on all sides it can scrunch down, but if it is rigid you may have issues with length and width.
Since I am a bit lacking in the airline terminology (just haven't kept up) when you say your in F is that First class/Economy plus/coach? I realize that the bag seems a bit large, that's why I put Mom in First Class, third row and a window seat. Ive been on these flights so many times, but I never paid enough attention to the space. I think the area under the seat and in front of her has quit a bit of extra leg room. Both bags the top will collapse and one bag the width will shorten.

http://snoozerpetproducts.com/produc...ackpack-p-325/
https://www.chewy.com/pet-gear-i-go-...black/dp/49442

These are the 2 that the dog would fit in comfortably for a long 8 1/2 hour day. Ive paid for the space even though the dog for Mom does medically qualify her for ESA. I don't want to use this designation as Mom would be embarrassed.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Policy of dogs on plane

Moderator, please move if there is a better thread. I tried doing a search and was unsuccessful.

I am curious about the policy on United about dogs traveling in the cabin. I have been on flights with service dogs, but they have not been near me and have not caused an allergic reaction (although I am allergic to animal dander so would not touch a service animal).

On my flight today: CLE-DEN there were two dogs that were not service dogs but pets and the owner needed to be asked to put them in their carriers. I confirmed I was not sitting near them - they were at the back of the plane and I was at the front.

I was sitting in my seat typing on my computer and suddenly started sneezing, and then my eyes started to water and my throat started to close. I have an inhaler but it was not handy and it did not progress to the stage where I needed it. It passed as quickly as it started. I realized it must have been the dogs (although in fairness I did not actually see them board) but the FA did confirm they were at the back of the plane so no where near me.

I am now off the plane thankfully but still having some issues with the breathing (and will revert to the inhaler which I hate to do).

My friends who travel with animals, I do not hate animals just do not pet them, normally check the animals through the hold and do not take them in the cabin. I certainly understand service animals need to travel with their owners, but on the couple of flights where they have been on the same flight as me I have never had an allergic reaction.

However, it got me thinking that I have never considered the policy of animals on the flight. I have heard people on flights let the FAs know they are allergic to nuts so the FAs do not provide nuts to the cabin.

How do you ensure if you are allergic to animal dander you are not seated near the animals?
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
How do you ensure if you are allergic to animal dander you are not seated near the animals?
You really can't. You just have to be prepared. And, as you point out, distance does not always equal safety.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Perhaps an "animals are peanuts too" campaign would work :-)
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
If they cannot serve peanuts because of people's allergies, they should not allow pets in the plane if someone has an allergy. If you open peanuts on a plane it can be treated as a capital crime, so it should be with pets.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
If they cannot serve peanuts because of people's allergies, they should not allow pets in the plane if someone has an allergy.
They have policies that allow people to bring pets on planes. All they can do is make sure they don't bring their own pets on, just like they can only control their own behaviour by not serving peanuts.

If you open peanuts on a plane it can be treated as a capital crime
On what planet?
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Here is a link to the UAL policy on in-cabin pets.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../in_cabin.aspx
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:48 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
If they cannot serve peanuts because of people's allergies, they should not allow pets in the plane if someone has an allergy. If you open peanuts on a plane it can be treated as a capital crime, so it should be with pets.
Nor shellfish, AA new uniforms, perfume, deodorant, insects, sulfa drugs, latex, opioids, milk, eggs, wheat, soy, pollen, sunlight, or anything else. People should be shaved, washed, disinfected, then allowed to board naked without any other objects onto their stainless steel chair, served only water (distilled), and not be permitted to expel/excrete any gasses, solids, or fluids.

Really? As long as you're gonna go over the top, don't half step
Old Dec 4, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Here is a link to the UAL policy on in-cabin pets.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../in_cabin.aspx
Thank you, I now understand the policy and rules for the pet owner

How do I avoid sitting near an animal who may cause an allergic reaction?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.