Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus (PLATINUM); Qatar Privilege Club (PLATINUM)
Originally Posted by sannmann
Thanks! (on behalf of Matilde)

Quote: "Restrictions based on aircraft, cabin and seat. In-cabin travel for pets is booked on a space-available basis. One pet per flight is allowed in United Global First℠, United First®, United BusinessFirst® and United Business® (select aircraft only). Pets are not permitted in United Global First, United First, United BusinessFirst or United Business on Boeing 747, 757, 767, 777 or 787 aircraft due to inadequate storage space under the seat." Oooh this is a bummer. KTM to USA would either be on a 747 (TransPacific, via BKK, NRT), or TransAtlantic on a 777 (via DEL). Any chance I could put the mini kennel behind the seat in the last row of BF?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 18, 2013 at 8:56 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by OnePassenger
Any chance I could put the mini kennel behind the seat in the last row of BF?
No. On any plane with the lay-flat seat everything needs to be in the overheads during take-off/landing. Nothing at all allowed on the floor anywhere in the cabin.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Dear FT friends: I have a 6 month old Lhasa Apso puppy. I need to take her from Kathmandu to Portland, Oregon (PDX), via DEL, on UA83. [B] Can I take her in the BF/F cabins? She will surely not make it in the hold for 14 hours
Take her and yourself via IST on TK. By the way I'm amazed there is a GS based in Nepal being Nepali myself.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: Mileage Plus (PLATINUM); Qatar Privilege Club (PLATINUM)
Originally Posted by docbert
No. On any plane with the lay-flat seat everything needs to be in the overheads during take-off/landing. Nothing at all allowed on the floor anywhere in the cabin.
Oh she fits in the 777 BF overhead easily during take off and landing. Is there O2 in there?

Originally Posted by aacharya
Take her and yourself via IST on TK. By the way I'm amazed there is a GS based in Nepal being Nepali myself.
Yes!! KTM IST is starting in a few weeks! Thanks for reminding me. Can she be in the cabin with me, according to TK policy? And... pm me if you are in Nepal so we can meet up sometime soon.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 19, 2013 at 7:40 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 19, 2013, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Yes!! KTM IST is starting in a few weeks! Thanks for reminding me. Can she be in the cabin with me, according to TK policy? And... pm me if you are in Nepal so we can meet up sometime soon.
http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...n/baggage/pets
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
In cabin pet domestic and documentation

Hi
I checked on the website and called twice.
Website makes no mention of paperwork and CS said only assistance animals need paperwork.
Am I to believe I do not need any documents from the veterinarian regarding my traveling "companion"?
I am just concerned I'll get to the airport and the rules will have changed.

If I don't have to take him to the vet before the flight it would be great. He is healthy but there isn't time really to take him.

Last edited by Plato1; Aug 22, 2013 at 11:34 am Reason: Typo
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:44 am

Pet fee for non direct international flights

United's in cabin pet fee is $125, but do I need to pay an additional fee for the connecting flight?

"...baggage service charges for your entire itinerary are determined by the marketing carrier for the first segment of your itinerary."

Does the same rule apply to in cabin pet fees?

I called United, but the CSR had no idea.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by karolinakap
United's in cabin pet fee is $125, but do I need to pay an additional fee for the connecting flight?

:
Last summer I flew with a cabin pet CPH-EWR-SNA and was only charged $125.

I had to downgrade from business to coach for CPH-EWR but was able to fly in first EWR-SNA.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:06 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
If your flights are all on one itinerary and all on UA, you will pay only $125 o/w. The connections are covered. E.g. when I flew NRT-SFO-DEN, both segments were covered by that single $125 payment.

If you booked a "connection" on a separate ticket, you'll pay twice.

Make sure to keep your pet's PNR # handy, as the agent at check-in may otherwise try to charge you again even when you've paid when making the pet reservation. I've had them insist they can't see it attached to my reservation, until I produce the pet PNR # and then they say, "Oh, yes, there it is..."

Last edited by exerda; Aug 27, 2013 at 10:20 am
Old Aug 27, 2013, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
If your flights are all on one itinerary and all on UA, you will pay only $125 o/w. The connections are covered. E.g. when I flew NRT-SFO-DEN, both segments were covered by that single $125 payment.
All the flights are on the same itinerary, but the connection is operated by Copa airlines (IAH-SAP-SJO).
Old Aug 27, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
All the flights are on the same itinerary, but the connection is operated by Copa airlines (IAH-SAP-SJO).
I carried in-cabin pets on 3 separate trips USA to Colombia on UA to COPA connections and did not have to pay COPA. I did get asked one time by a COPA agent if I had paid, but I just told them I came in on UA and paid on that ticket. They accepted that explanation without requesting any documentation.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by coolcoil
I carried in-cabin pets on 3 separate trips USA to Colombia on UA to COPA connections and did not have to pay COPA. I did get asked one time by a COPA agent if I had paid, but I just told them I came in on UA and paid on that ticket. They accepted that explanation without requesting any documentation.
Good to know! Thank you! Were you able to fly during the weekend?

Per Copa, "Copa Airlines transports pets in the passenger cabin from Monday through Thursday, to prevent travel during the weekend, a time when most of the Divisions of Quarantine at the airports where our airline operates are closed."
Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:54 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Question In cabin cat quesitons

goalie-sis will be taking a 2 year assignment for The-G in SIN and I will be flying to DC next month to pick up her cat and bring her home with me.

From what I've read it's relatively straight forward in terms of paying the $125 and having an approved in-cabin cat carrier (which goalie-sis has) but my questions are...

• Paperwork needed: This is a domestic flight DCA/IAD-SFO and I couldn't find anything on .sux
  • Seating 1: Again, from what I've read on .sux, if it's a 2 cabin non-lie flat seating up front, I can upgrade and no bulkhead or exit row seating is allowed
  • Seating 2: The equipment will either be a 37-800, PMUA 57 or a 319/320 so any tips as to which seats (and aisle or window) would be best (and I would prefer an aisle)
  • Security: Any tips as to how to go thru security as I know Courtney doesn't go thru x-ray but will she have to come out of the carrier? It's a see thru carrier so I'd prefer not to remove her as if she got loose, I'm screwed

What else did I miss?
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by goalie
goalie-sis will be taking a 2 year assignment for The-G in SIN and I will be flying to DC next month to pick up her cat and bring her home with me.

From what I've read it's relatively straight forward in terms of paying the $125 and having an approved in-cabin cat carrier (which goalie-sis has) but my questions are...

• Paperwork needed: This is a domestic flight DCA/IAD-SFO and I couldn't find anything on .sux
  • Seating 1: Again, from what I've read on .sux, if it's a 2 cabin non-lie flat seating up front, I can upgrade and no bulkhead or exit row seating is allowed
  • Seating 2: The equipment will either be a 37-800, PMUA 57 or a 319/320 so any tips as to which seats (and aisle or window) would be best (and I would prefer an aisle)
  • Security: Any tips as to how to go thru security as I know Courtney doesn't go thru x-ray but will she have to come out of the carrier? It's a see thru carrier so I'd prefer not to remove her as if she got loose, I'm screwed

What else did I miss?
Take it from me, you cannot fly with a pet in the premium cabin on ANY 757 (or any 767, 777, or 787 for that matter). I have argued until I was blue in the face that the policy should only apply to versions with lay-flat seating, to no avail. The ONLY planes you can fly with pets in premium cabins on United are 737s and the Airbuses.

Good luck!

Tim
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TimInSF
Take it from me, you cannot fly with a pet in the premium cabin on ANY 757 (or any 767, 777, or 787 for that matter). I have argued until I was blue in the face that the policy should only apply to versions with lay-flat seating, to no avail. The ONLY planes you can fly with pets in premium cabins on United are 737s and the Airbuses.

Good luck!

Tim
That's annoying about the 753s. Seats 1a,b on that a/c probably have the best cat storage space in the fleet. That being said, the rest of the rows on the 757s have the a/v stuff clogging the space and I guess UA isn't going to block the few suitable seats for potential cat storage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.