Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I don't know much about UA pet policy, however, if indeed pets aren't allowed in BF on your aircraft, yes, you'll get a refund of your miles and any copay, and go back in coach.

My suggestion is to deal with it upfront...truth is if you wait and it gets discovered at day of travel (and the chances are almost certain it will), you will get stuck with whatever seat is left in coach (if anything is, and at holiday time, that is debatable). But you'll definitely get your miles back.

A little bit different situation, but we are relatively new to traveling with a lap infant, and our first flight was an E45, where I was told we had to be on the two seat side. Fine, since I was traveling with my wife anyway, we were booked in 5CD like most times. Once on board, the FA initiated a switch between us and the two in 7CD. Turns out there are only about 4 or 5 rows in the plane where lap infants can be, and ours wasn't one of them - lucky people were ok switching. On our next trip, we were on the AB side of a CR7 - turns out you need to be on the CD side. Gate agent called us to change our assignments - and no more seats on the plane (much less in E+) together - my wife took a bulkhead in 7D. Her seatmate initially didn't want to switch (she asked nicely, but didn't react when he declined). He did agree before the door closed, however, when he realized that the seat next to me was now empty and so he had the set of two seats to himself. Not the biggest deal in the world even if we sat separately, but certainly annoying. And I now know where i need to be on which UAX planes to avoid the trouble.

Dealing with these upfront would have been easier for sure, and had I known these issues, I would have. I suggest you do the same.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by karenkay
.... I'm not familiar enough with this aircraft to know: would it be possible to keep my 'backpack' by my feet or between the seat and the window if the FA doesn't know it contains a dog? He's small and doesn't bark; my seatmate will be my husband. I'm sure I could plead ignorance and deal with it day of travel (lucky someone gets a battlefield upgrade and I sit in coach with Fido) ...
You can not have a backpack on the floor in F or C on a 3-class sUA aircraft. All personal items "must" stowed.
Get rescheduled now for a standard 2-class aircraft -- UA should carry the upgrades over since it was a change caused by them.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:52 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by exerda
You cannot have a pet in cabin on the 777 in C or F. That is it...
Here's the skinny from United's website

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../in_cabin.aspx

Pets are not permitted in United Global First, United First, United BusinessFirst or United Business on Boeing 747, 757, 767, 777 or 787 aircraft due to limited storage space

A customer traveling with an in-cabin pet in United Economy on Boeing 757-200 aircraft will need to be seated in a window seat due to limited storage space under aisle and middle seats.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Unless your last name is Kennedy:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nt-people.html
Old Oct 11, 2015, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by transportprof
Oooh, I wish I had the cash to book him his own seat!

Thanks for the responses, all, and thanks to WineCountryUA for answering my exact question...there's likely a two cabin plane I can switch to, it's just a question of how much longer my layover will be with the switch--it may be worth flying in y if I can shorten my travel day.

I'll probably call before too long to make the change official. I just hate to turn down an upgrade when it's entirely possible they change something again before I fly.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
+1 - I don't recommend waiting on this - get a different routing if you want to have your pet with you in cabin....
Old Oct 11, 2015, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
Here's the skinny from United's website

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../in_cabin.aspx
Interesting. On one of my TATL flights earlier this year, there was definitely a dog in BF on a 752. I wasn't aware of these rules at the time. Apparently that was an exception!
Old Oct 11, 2015, 5:12 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Where did they stow the pet for takeoff and landing? That's the real reason why there aren't pets allowed in BF; there is no underseat space for them.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Where did they stow the pet for takeoff and landing? That's the real reason why there aren't pets allowed in BF; there is no underseat space for them.
Some aircraft can be outfitted with canine closets:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...dd1abf7feb.jpg
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What do they do if it's a service animal? Do the same rules apply?

also, as an update: i did call UA and was moved--with the dog AND my husband--to a later flight, and they were able to preserve the upgrade and gave us the last two seats in first on an airbus. the seats aren't nearly as nice, of course, but we'll all be happier if we're up front and together. thanks again to all for suggestions. i'm not sure i would have thought to ask that they preserve the upgrades (especially since F is now full) otherwise. @:-)

Last edited by karenkay; Oct 12, 2015 at 8:54 am
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:03 am

I didn't see -- the pet was a couple rows back. I was up towards the front and didn't see the pet go into a closet there, but it's entirely possible that happened and I missed it while reading or watching a TV show.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA, AA (Plt)
To the OP- when you say backpack, you are referring to a backpack-style pet carrier? Your pet has to fly in an approved carrier, regular purses and bags won't do.
The reason I ask is because most of the backpack- style carriers I'm familiar with are about 20" long. A little bigger than UAs stated 17", but generally workable. But, a 19" long carrier is a VERY tight fit under an F seat on a 320. Doable, but an uptight FA might not allow it.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mezzowithcorigis
To the OP- when you say backpack, you are referring to a backpack-style pet carrier? Your pet has to fly in an approved carrier, regular purses and bags won't do.
The reason I ask is because most of the backpack- style carriers I'm familiar with are about 20" long. A little bigger than UAs stated 17", but generally workable. But, a 19" long carrier is a VERY tight fit under an F seat on a 320. Doable, but an uptight FA might not allow it.
Thanks for this! I am referring to a
backpack-style pet carrier backpack-style pet carrier
, which several people on amazon say they have traveled with in-cabin. We do have an approved pet carrier as well, I suppose I could bring it empty just in case we have trouble with the backpack...Thanks for the tip.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA (Plt)
Originally Posted by karenkay
Thanks for this! I am referring to a backpack-style pet carrier, which several people on amazon say they have traveled with in-cabin. We do have an approved pet carrier as well, I suppose I could bring it empty just in case we have trouble with the backpack...Thanks for the tip.
That's a nice carrier, but it might cause problems under the F seats on A32x planes due to the width. Can't tell from the photos.. Does it "flex" on the sides? If so you are probably OK, if not, consider a conventional pet carrier such as the Sturdibag or Sherpa I've used both and either of those will fit
Old Nov 8, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Traveling with my dog on UA (in cabin)

Instead of boarding my dog over the thanksgiving break, I think I'll take him home to my parents house for the week. I have never done this before... I went online and booked his spot and paid the $250 round trip.

I am just curious about what I should expect at the airport (IAH). Is the dog ever allowed out of the carrier even before I board? I know the policy is that he has to be in the kennel and under the seat for the entire flight, no big deal.

Any advice/pointers? My only concern is that I am on a CR7 IAH-PSP in F on the way out (seat 2A)... I am hoping the underseat space is adequate! SNA-IAH on the way back on 73G in 3A.

thanks all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.