Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I would agree with you except in the situation as described the person with the pet remained in their seat as the reseating was the person in 2F not the pet and person in 2E. That leads me to believe pets are giving priority over people by UA. Animal Farm (George Orwell) comes to mind with the story as described by the spouse of 2E.
If your are referring to post 280, no one was forced to move, UA certainty did not require the person to move, a deal was struck and the 2F agrred to move. It could have been 2E that moved. The point, not one was required by UA to move. Agree the person with the allergy has a great motivation to move but they were not directed by UA move or deplane -- options were offered to all with a hope of finding a workable solution for all

The earlier response was wrong, the person would have not been taken off the flight -- if after attempting to find a voluntary solution, all would have been offered the opportunity to change flights.. UA would have not forced anyone to make a change.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If your are referring to post 280, no one was forced to move, UA certainty did not require the person to move, a deal was struck and the 2F agrred to move. It could have been 2E that moved. The point, not one was required by UA to move. Agree the person with the allergy has a great motivation to move but they were not directed by UA move or deplane -- options were offered to all with a hope of finding a workable solution for all

The earlier response was wrong, the person would have not been taken off the flight -- if after attempting to find a voluntary solution, all would have been offered the opportunity to change flights.. UA would have not forced anyone to make a change.
And if no one agreed to move, what then???
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
If she had an allergy she would have been taken off the flight and accomodated on another flight. If she was simply unwilling to sit in her seat on principle I’m not sure how far UA would go for her.
I'm not sure why you are saying I'm wrong. Flight Attendants can remove a passenger who appears too sick to fly or who claims to have a condition (allergy) that would cause them to have a negative reaction to flying in the presence of an animal. It may not happen, but it can happen and the airline would be within their right to do it to keep the passenger from getting sick and affecting the flight operation. Under the Contract of Carriage, Section H - Safety:
  1. Passengers who are incapable of completing a flight safely, without requiring extraordinary medical assistance during the flight, as well as Passengers who appear to have symptoms of or have a communicable disease or condition that could pose a direct threat to the health or safety of others on the flight, or who refuse a screening for such disease or condition. (NOTE: UA requires a medical certificate for Passengers who wish to travel under such circumstances. Visit UA’s website, united.com, for more information regarding UA’s requirements for medical certificates);
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zitsky

And if no one agreed to move, what then???
Then everyone takes there assigned seats or makes a different choice.

If the assigned seating arrangements are more important to the person with the allergy, that is their choice (and same for the pet owner). Neither is required to move (that was the counterpoint I was attempting to make -- neither has rights over the other). Hopefully something can be worked out, but if you are going to be stubborn and/or inconsiderate, that is your choice.
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
I'm not sure why you are saying I'm wrong. Flight Attendants can remove a passenger who appears too sick to fly or who claims to have a condition (allergy) that would cause them to have a negative reaction to flying in the presence of an animal. It may not happen, but it can happen and the airline would be within their right to do it to keep the passenger from getting sick and affecting the flight operation. Under the Contract of Carriage, Section H - Safety:
  1. Passengers who are incapable of completing a flight safely, without requiring extraordinary medical assistance during the flight, as well as Passengers who appear to have symptoms of or have a communicable disease or condition that could pose a direct threat to the health or safety of others on the flight, or who refuse a screening for such disease or condition. (NOTE: UA requires a medical certificate for Passengers who wish to travel under such circumstances. Visit UA’s website, united.com, for more information regarding UA’s requirements for medical certificates);
I think reading into the above to allow airline personnel to remove an potential allergic passenger is the stuff of headlines the next day. Note the above refers to a passenger "that could pose a direct threat to the health or safety of others on the flight" which is hardly pertinent to an allergic passenger. And the other phrase "Passengers who are incapable of completing a flight safely, without requiring extraordinary medical assistance during the flight", how is a airline employee to make that determination in the case of a potential allergic reaction? Only the passenger is aware of that.

Can you cite a case where an passenger with an allergy was removed from an aircraft against their will?? I have not heard of an such an incident and I pretty sure it would make the headlines, same as the cases where airlines refused to serve nuts on a plane at the request of nut allergic individual made news.

Again, the original issue is does the allergy passenger or the passenger with the allergen have primary rights, and I still say neither has rights over the other. But hopefully common sense and some cooperativeness with work the issue out. In the end the passenger(s) make need to make a choice but it is their choice,

We are starting to get in OMNI land here, but when equal rights come into play, there is never a perfect answer.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Can you cite a case where an passenger with an allergy was removed from an aircraft against their will?? I have not heard of an such an incident and I pretty sure it would make the headlines, same as the cases where airlines refused to serve nuts on a plane at the request of nut allergic individual made news.....
Here ya go Winecountry ; )
Lawyer: Passenger removed from Southwest plane never claimed allergy was life-threatening - Baltimore Sun
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:10 pm

Thanks, had not seen that. I will admit to being surprised but WN has some history with allergy issue.
I wonder how it was resolved? searched but other than WN was attempting to apologize for the incident and it has the feel of further legal action. And the incident has additional layers outside of the allergy issue.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:21 pm

International flights over 12 hours OK for in cabin pets now?

Hi everyone. I thought United had a policy banning in cabin pets from flights over 12 hours, but I recently called and was told that there was no issue in flying with my cat in cabin from Austin to Shanghai. Is this truly the case, and if so, does anyone know when the policy changed?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by aa_fangirl
Hi everyone. I thought United had a policy banning in cabin pets from flights over 12 hours, but I recently called and was told that there was no issue in flying with my cat in cabin from Austin to Shanghai. Is this truly the case, and if so, does anyone know when the policy changed?
Where did you hear about the "over 12 hour-rule"? Never heard of that myself.
Flying with a cat to China in-cabin is still (and has been for a long time) allowed on UA flights, afaik.

Make sure you adhere to the Chinese pet import regulations (vaccination certificate, quarantine, etc.)
Good luck.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
Where did you hear about the "over 12 hour-rule"? Never heard of that myself.
Flying with a cat to China in-cabin is still (and has been for a long time) allowed on UA flights, afaik.

Make sure you adhere to the Chinese pet import regulations (vaccination certificate, quarantine, etc.)
Good luck.
Thanks so much! I really thought there was a restriction on United for in cabin pets on long international flights at some point, but I may have been imagining it. Glad to be wrong
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Overheard two GAs communicating with United (assumption) on the delayed departure last night from EWR to PBI. Not weather related like most flights out of NYC airports, but longer-than-usual boarding process was due to eight emotional support dogs. One of the GAs used the word zoo on multiple occasions.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Overheard two GAs communicating with United (assumption) on the delayed departure last night from EWR to PBI. Not weather related like most flights out of NYC airports, but longer-than-usual boarding process was due to eight emotional support dogs. One of the GAs used the word zoo on multiple occasions.
Given the route it’s hardly surprising. As to whether they all need one, I guess it’s like whether or not they all need wheelchairs.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Relatively new to this and as I posted I won't call my dog a service animal. But I just tried to book for a flight from SFO-KOA and got the response "no animals allowed in the cabin on this flight". My dog is well under 10lbs and I fully intended to pay what ever the cost would be. Is this new and part of this new policy on service animals? I thought a maxium of TWO non-service animals were allowed in the cabin. I have a home in Kona and wanted to move the dog there, nothing more nefarious than that. Any help appreciated.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
Relatively new to this and as I posted I won't call my dog a service animal. But I just tried to book for a flight from SFO-KOA and got the response "no animals allowed in the cabin on this flight". .....
In-cabin pets are not permitted in lie-flat cabins due to the lack of floor storage space.

Additionally, there are other restrictions for certain geographic areas, such as Hawaii

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 6, 2018 at 2:07 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by nomad420
Relatively new to this and as I posted I won't call my dog a service animal. But I just tried to book for a flight from SFO-KOA and got the response "no animals allowed in the cabin on this flight". My dog is well under 10lbs and I fully intended to pay what ever the cost would be. Is this new and part of this new policy on service animals? I thought a maxium of TWO non-service animals were allowed in the cabin. I have a home in Kona and wanted to move the dog there, nothing more nefarious than that. Any help appreciated.
Most pets need to be quarantined for 120 days. Our friends are interested in purchasing a second home in Maui. They cannot overcome 120 day quarantine rule.
Animal Industry Division FAQ for Animal Quarantine
Animal Industry Division Animal Quarantine Information Page
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Most pets need to be quarantined for 120 days. Our friends are interested in purchasing a second home in Maui. They cannot overcome 120 day quarantine rule.
Animal Industry Division FAQ for Animal Quarantine
Animal Industry Division Animal Quarantine Information Page
I have already worked with that with my vet and the state of Hawaii, there is a work around on the quarantine issue and the state and local regulatory issues I have already worked out. I just need to get the animal there basically and would prefer given her size that she go in the cabin. If she can't well I will work with that but I thought that was possible.

In-cabin pets are not permitted in lie-flat cabins due to the lack of floor storage space.

Additionally, there are other restrictions for certain geographic areas, such as Hawaii
Sadly this flight is not lie-flat, as often as I take it I wish it where. I have already worked out the state and local issues with my vet and the Hawaiian regulations as well as the Hawaiian vets.

For those interested, called some "Pet Safe Desk" at UA and was told this: No pets or emotional support animals allowed in the cabin on flights to Hawaii now. The have to be crated and below deck. I have the fees if anyone is interested but it isn't cheap. And per above posts, yes there are Hawaiian regulatory issues with must be complied with as well. I may try AS or HA and see if they have similar rules.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 6, 2018 at 6:20 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.