Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by geo979
Consider taking an around the world cruise instead to get to SF. It will inconvenience the cat less.
HA! What a fantastic idea, cats just LOVE being around large bodies of water. And by large, I'm referring to a bathtub.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Are you sure you want UA? With all the lumps UA has taken in this department.... they would be the last one I would look to for animal transport.
Originally Posted by geo979
Consider taking an around the world cruise instead to get to SF. It will inconvenience the cat less.
Originally Posted by enviroian
For everyone's sake, put slyvester in the hold where he belongs.
Quite a bit of naysayers to OP's questions and concerns.
OP: traveling with a cat in-cabin with UA is perfectly okay, allowed and not a big drama. UA will charge a fee, but it is not expensive.
Just make sure you follow all crew members' instructions; i.e. keep the pet-carrier under the seat in front of you, and do not - AT ANY TIME - remove the pet from the carrier.

I did EWR-PEK and PEK-EWR (three years later) with our cat and it was event-less.

Unlike what was recommended in post #2 I recommend a soft carrier and therefore a soft litterbox pad, such as this:
https://www.petsmart.com/cat/litter-...ml?cgid=200154

I would also try and get the most direct flight (hopefully without a layover anywhere). This will be less stressful for the animal.

Good luck.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Here is the UA program with all of the details and effective June 18 Note especially the requirement of using a shipping agent for international and the limitation on cat (and dog) breeds. There is a lot of advance preparation involved.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...q/animals.html

The AC program here:
https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/...ance/pets.html
Old May 9, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by narvik

OP: traveling with a cat in-cabin with UA is perfectly okay, allowed and not a big drama. UA will charge a fee, but it is not expensive.
Just make sure you follow all crew members' instructions; i.e. keep the pet-carrier under the seat in front of you, and do not - AT ANY TIME - remove the pet from the carrier.

I would also try and get the most direct flight (hopefully without a layover anywhere). This will be less stressful for the animal.

Good luck.
Dog people, I'm guessing. ;-)
Old May 9, 2018, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Here is the UA program with all of the details....
Your link refers to UA's PetSafe program. I believe OP wants to travel with his/her pet in-cabin.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
Here is the UA program with all of the details and effective June 18 Note ...
OP's query is about cabin travel, not as cargo.
Originally Posted by Roar
Flying with Cat in Cabin from LHR to US (prob SFO) ....

I have seen / read a few contradictory things on in-cabin pets. ....
Old May 9, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I did EWR-PEK and PEK-EWR (three years later) with our cat and it was event-less.
I’m sure. For you at least.

​​​​​​​
Old May 9, 2018, 2:15 pm

To the OP: Depending upon what you hear from UA, you may also want to investigate Norwegian Air. They fly nonstop from Gatwick to Oakland and are also less expensive (probably for both you and the cat):

https://www.norwegian.com/uk/travel-...ing-with-pets/
Old May 9, 2018, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
In reading your OP that is exactly what i thought you were saying, else why are you trying to break the flight into more than one leg?
I'd break the travel. Not the flight. I have to be on the East Coast for a while, so could do a shorter flight (eg to NYC) stay for a while. Take another flight later to SFO from there.
Having the cat in the bag, so to speak, for 11 hour flight + preflight time + actually getting to the airport is a very long time.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:03 pm

Unlike what was recommended in post #2 I recommend a soft carrier and therefore a soft litterbox pad, such as this:
https://www.petsmart.com/cat/litter-...ml?cgid=200154

Good luck.
Thanks. I realize UA allows pets in cabin, however this question is specifically in the context of the United Kingdom. The UK does not allow pets to arrive in the cabin. In theory, they allow pets to depart in the cabin, but I have never SEEN anyone do this, nor have I heard of anyone.

I wanted to know if anyone had any specific experience with departing the UK with a pet in cabin. Obviously, I am going to talk to UA about this. However, as we all know, you can get 1 answer on the phone and have an entirely different experience at the airport.

Was just trying to tap someone with actual experience on this route.

Last edited by Roar; May 9, 2018 at 6:09 pm Reason: clarity
Old May 9, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...I wanted to know if anyone had any specific experience with departing the UK with a pet in cabin.
FT's Travel with Pets might be a better place for that query as it is not really UA related.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
FT's Travel with Pets might be a better place for that query as it is not really UA related.
OK. Thank you for the guidance.
That said, will the experience of booking / checking a pet in the UK with United not be dictated in large part by United?

I really just wanted to know if anyone had done this on United and what the experience was like. (My fear is they are going to tell me it's fine on the phone and then I am going to show up and they are going to give me a hard time...)
Old May 9, 2018, 6:34 pm

I'd break the travel. Not the flight. I have to be on the East Coast for a while, so could do a shorter flight (eg to NYC) stay for a while. Take another flight later to SFO from there.
Having the cat in the bag, so to speak, for 11 hour flight + preflight time + actually getting to the airport is a very long time.

Sounds reasonable.

Thanks. I realize UA allows pets in cabin, however this question is specifically in the context of the United Kingdom.
<snip>.
Aye, understood.
I was more trying to offer encouragement, as this topic stirs negative emotions in many (just look at the response I received in Post #339 ) and FT, in my view, should be more of a place of help than scalding.
WineCountryUA offered good advice by providing that general link.

Best of luck and safe travels.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Question (since this is a really long thread):

In cabin pets. They have to be in carriers? Unless they are service animals, in which case they don't?

Is there a list of approved breeds and non-approved breeds to travel in cabin?
Old May 16, 2018, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by abraxis
...In cabin pets. They have to be in carriers? ....
In-cabin pets
The animal is expected to remain in the kennel while in the airport and on board the aircraft.
The kennel must remain in the floor space below your seat.
Pets must remain in kennels with the door secured at all times while in the boarding area and on board the aircraft.
Originally Posted by abraxis
...Is there a list of approved breeds and non-approved breeds to travel in cabin?
United allows domesticated cats, dogs, rabbits and household birds (excluding cockatoos) to travel accompanied in the aircraft cabin on most flights within the U.S.
A more restrict listed exist for animals transported as cargo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.