Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I would rather not have it be me. I nearly died from an asthma attack at 14 (doctor told my parents that 10 more minutes and I would have been dead) and a friend's mother died from an asthma attack hanging clothes on a clothes line (apparently caused by a bee sting). An asthma attack can be swift and deadly. I had my inhaler in my handbag and was able to access it and use it.

I reported the issue to United as I am very careful to ensure I am not sitting next to a pet and normally select 1A or the bulkhead (one reason being pets cannot be in that row) but for a set of circumstances beyond my control it was not possible on this flight. I can only do so much to ensure I am not next to a pet. I think a FA moving a passenger with a pet to a different seat without checking with people is lazy at best.

I do think there should be better tagging so we know the carrier does contain an animal. These days some carriers look so much like regular carryon. Someone mentioned bright stickers upthread and I have never seen these on my United flights.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
As of last week PET IN CABIN will get a bright yellow tag.

Does not apply to Service or Support Animals who can be in any seat including 1A.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
As of last week PET IN CABIN will get a bright yellow tag.

Does not apply to Service or Support Animals who can be in any seat including 1A.
And sometimes they are not just in one seat but spread out over 2 or 3 seats or on the floor.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:27 am

Flying with Cat in Cabin from LHR to US (prob SFO)

Hi there. I need to get the cat from London to San Francisco. He's my little buddy and there is no way I am putting him in United's hold...

I have seen / read a few contradictory things on in-cabin pets. It is my understanding that animals cannot fly INTO the UK in the cabin, but they can fly OUT.

Has anyone done this with a pet? Can you share your experience and how it went with check in at LHR / and US arrivals?

Cat ultimately needs to end up in SF. I am not sure I want to subject him to an 11 hour flight in his carrier (that just seems cruel) so I might try to figure out how to break it up a bit. (But that's another issue...) But really, I do not want him flying in the hold. The big questions is - how to get him out of London and into the US in the cabin.

(Worst comes to worst, I'll fly out of Amsterdam or Paris, but that's a pain...)

Thank you!
Old May 9, 2018, 9:48 am

It looks like you might want to try Air Canada.
https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/...ance/pets.html

Doing that you can layover in Toronto probably and split your journey up.

For what its worth, I had 2x cats in their carriers for 10+ hours for 3 days on a cross country drive. Were they happy? Nor really. Did they care? Not really. Were they any worse after the trip? No.
You can also get disposable litter boxes so if you lay over, you can find a family restroom or pet relief station to let the cat out. Kitty probably will not eat / drink much on the trip, FYI.

https://www.petsmart.com/cat/litter-...x-5174374.html
Old May 9, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
This is a bit out of my bailiwick, but Mrs. Darlox's family is almost all from the UK, and so I've heard mixed tales in the past. Bottom-line, the UK prohibits flying animals in the cabin _into_ the country. There is no government prohibition on flying animals in the cabin _out_ of the country.

However, individual airlines -- or even individual agents -- seem to have interpreted that inbound restriction in differing ways, as to whether it should be permitted outbound. Years ago, DL allowed it once, and then refused to allow it again a year later. They now seem to officially prohibit pets to and from the UK, but UA has no such detail on their website.

Bottom-line: There is a fee for this on AC, UA or any other airline you may elect to use, and that fee may vary if you have any long layovers (>4 hr) in your itinerary. That cannot be booked online. So you're going to have to call UA with your specific itin to ask and book it anyhow, so that's probably your best bet, is to just call and ask. If you don't get the answer you want from Agent #1 , maybe try another time or two just to make sure you didn't get a misinformed agent. And make ABSOLUTELY sure that, if they do permit it and charge you, that they note it in your reservation, and maybe even a note with the specific airline rule stating that it's allowed UK-outbound, so that a ticketing and/or gate agent at LHR doesn't try to pull the plug on you later.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Roar
I am not sure I want to subject him to an 11 hour flight in his carrier (that just seems cruel) so I might try to figure out how to break it up a bit.
  • The animal is expected to remain in the kennel while in the airport and on board the aircraft.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../in-cabin.html
Old May 9, 2018, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
  • The animal is expected to remain in the kennel while in the airport and on board the aircraft.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../in-cabin.html
I never said I was taking him out of the kennel. Or even implied it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 9, 2018 at 1:34 pm Reason: snarky repsonse removed
Old May 9, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
OP have you ever thought about consideration about your fellow passengers? I am extremely allergic to cats and would be a respiratory mess the whole flight.

For everyone's sake, put slyvester in the hold where he belongs.

Thanks
Old May 9, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
What did UA say? Have you rung them?

Reservations - UK
  • 0845-607-6760
  • 0207-136-0582

That aside, best of luck with your little buddy, he'll love it here in SF!
Old May 9, 2018, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
OP have you ever thought about consideration about your fellow passengers? I am extremely allergic to cats and would be a respiratory mess the whole flight.

For everyone's sake, put slyvester in the hold where he belongs.

Thanks
If traveling before July 9, 2018 on UA, that's not an option. PetSafe (pets in hold) is currently suspended, for reasons pretty well publicized.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Roar
I never said I was taking him out of the kennel. Or even implied it..
In reading your OP that is exactly what i thought you were saying, else why are you trying to break the flight into more than one leg?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 9, 2018 at 1:35 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old May 9, 2018, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
In reading your OP that is exactly what i thought you were saying, else why are you trying to break the flight into more than one leg?
I've had friends who did exactly that. IST-ORD, 1 day stop in pet friendly hotel then ORD-SFO. It worked well for them, but if it were me, I'd do a non-stop and get the trauma over completely for my little buddy.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Are you sure you want UA? With all the lumps UA has taken in this department.... they would be the last one I would look to for animal transport.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Consider taking an around the world cruise instead to get to SF. It will inconvenience the cat less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.