Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nomad420
For those interested, called some "Pet Safe Desk" at UA and was told this: No pets or emotional support animals allowed in the cabin on flights to Hawaii now. The have to be crated and below deck. I have the fees if anyone is interested but it isn't cheap. And per above posts, yes there are Hawaiian regulatory issues with must be complied with as well. I may try AS or HA and see if they have similar rules.
The rules are set by the State of Hawaii, not by the airlines - no matter what, they need to go into quarantine.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The rules are set by the State of Hawaii, not by the airlines - no matter what, they need to go into quarantine.
This is incorrect. For the past few years, they have implemented a direct airport release provided you meet certain, very strict criteria. Some of the requirements are a microchip, specifically timed rabies vaccines, a rabies titre no earlier than 120 days prior to arrival in Hawaii with the results sent directly from the DOD lab or Kansas State University, and arrival between 8am and 5pm.

If you meet all the requirements to qualify for direct airport release, no quarantine is necessary.
http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/animal...ormation-page/
https://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/files/201...st-11-2017.pdf
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm guessing that the in-cabin pet restriction is instituted by United so they don't have to keep track of people deplaning with cabin pets. I'm imagining they would get fined rather significantly if they permitted someone to get around the quarantine rules.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by findark
I'm guessing that the in-cabin pet restriction is instituted by United so they don't have to keep track of people deplaning with cabin pets. I'm imagining they would get fined rather significantly if they permitted someone to get around the quarantine rules.
See my post above. Quarantine is not always necessary any longer. A gate agent comes on the plane on arrival and makes an announcement that anyone with an in-cabin pet should see them.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Finkface
See my post above. Quarantine is not always necessary any longer.
But does UA want to be in the position of determining which pet has meet the alternative requirements. Better / easier to ship in the cargo hold and have the animal take directly to the proper authorities at the airport and let them make that determination. If allowed in the cabin, the owner could attempt to bypass the state authorities. The passenger could just exit the airport.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
But does UA want to be in the position of determining which pet has meet the alternative requirements. Better / easier to ship in the cargo hold and have the animal take directly to the proper authorities at the airport and let them make that determination. If allowed in the cabin, the owner could attempt to bypass the state authorities. The passenger could just exit the airport.
That’s up to each airline, I suppose. I fly to HNL monthly (not on UA) and have seen many in-cabin pets. There is an agent right at the door so it would be hard to sneak past. Plus, unless you snuck the pet on the plane, the airline knows how many animals are on board. And service animals are subject to the same rules and UA cannot refuse them, which is why an agent boards the plane on arrival and makes the announcement. It isn’t UA who makes the determination for direct release, it is the State, based on having met the specific criteria which must be provided in advance.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Oh another reason to love flights to Hawaii - no pets inside the cabin!
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Oh another reason to love flights to Hawaii - no pets inside the cabin!
somewhat, had a black lab under the seat next to me 3 years ago ORD-HNL........an "emotional" support animal I would assume as it didn't have any guide dog indicators.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
That’s up to each airline, I suppose. I fly to HNL monthly (not on UA) and have seen many in-cabin pets. There is an agent right at the door so it would be hard to sneak past. Plus, unless you snuck the pet on the plane, the airline knows how many animals are on board. And service animals are subject to the same rules and UA cannot refuse them, which is why an agent boards the plane on arrival and makes the announcement. It isn’t UA who makes the determination for direct release, it is the State, based on having met the specific criteria which must be provided in advance.
It seems like it would be super easy to sneak past with a small pet. Some of the new pet carries look just like fashionable carry-on bags when the flaps are closed. I'm really surprised they allow this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
This is incorrect. For the past few years, they have implemented a direct airport release provided you meet certain, very strict criteria. Some of the requirements are a microchip, specifically timed rabies vaccines, a rabies titre no earlier than 120 days prior to arrival in Hawaii with the results sent directly from the DOD lab or Kansas State University, and arrival between 8am and 5pm.

If you meet all the requirements to qualify for direct airport release, no quarantine is necessary.
Animal Industry Division Animal Quarantine Information Page
https://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/files/201...st-11-2017.pdf
+1
This is indeed the case and I see you have done your homework as well. I have cleared all the state requirements but indeed UA has some policy differences that make animal transportation in the cabin not possible. However, I did confirm with AS that they still allow it with certain restriction and fees of course so I have booked the flight with them. As an aside, and I have been posting about this for some time, this AS merger with Virgin is really starting to look like a game changer for me. While the transition is slow it looks like I will be waving good-bye to UA with both hands now.....

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I wondered about this as well but other carriers as I noted still allow it. I certainly will not do it and am already obtaining all the state required documents. I personally know of people who routinely transfer there animals on the private OAK-KOA charter flight/club or on private/charter jets that do basically what you are questioning.

Originally Posted by CALMSP
somewhat, had a black lab under the seat next to me 3 years ago ORD-HNL........an "emotional" support animal I would assume as it didn't have any guide dog indicators.
From what I was told new guidelines restrict even emotional support animals in the cabin. Of course other support animals such as true guide dogs are still allowed in the cabin. Now again I am only referring to flights in and out of Hawaii.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 7, 2018 at 12:30 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
+1
This is indeed the case and I see you have done your homework as well. I have cleared all the state requirements but indeed UA has some policy differences that make animal transportation in the cabin not possible. However, I did confirm with AS that they still allow it with certain restriction and fees of course so I have booked the flight with them. As an aside, and I have been posting about this for some time, this AS merger with Virgin is really starting to look like a game changer for me. While the transition is slow it looks like I will be waving good-bye to UA with both hands now.....
Indeed I have. I fly AS to HNL exclusively and do so monthly. I have nothing but great things to say about them.
Old May 4, 2018, 4:53 pm

So because I know I have allergies to animals I am hyper vigilant about watching for animals in the boarding area. Boarded my DEN-LAS flight. Sit down in the window (9A). A gentleman sits down next to me. FA comes by and asks the man if he will swap 9B for 7E due to a carryon issue. Not really paying attention. I am looking out the window at what is going on next to the plane. Doors close. My eyes start to water and I think odd.

I then hear a noise and look down to see the woman next to me has a dog in a carrier. I confirm with her she is not going to remove the dog and she assures me the dog is a hypoallergenic dog.

We take off and my eyes are watering, my throat is closing up so I use ventolin inhaler and also have some water.

As soon as the FAs are up and moving I mention the issue and they tell me it will be easier to move me and I readily agree as starting to feel quite ill.

I move two rows back and recover during the flight. (To add insult to injury the inflight entertainment did not work, although it was the second flight today where it did not work.)

I am fairly upset with United that they did not ask if anyone had an issue with an animal before seating the passanger. This passenger was not in the boarding area near the gate and I was 60 minutes early for the flight as I know it is on me to monitor pets on the plane and to ensure I am not seated near them.

So in summary, the person without the animal will be reassigned the seat, even if the owner of the pet is not sitting in their originally assigned seat. I think some of us had that question about who would be moved.

The day actually started off well and I was in the middle of composing an email complimenting the United staff.

Animal right activists should be thrilled that animals trump people on flights.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; May 4, 2018 at 5:47 pm
Old May 4, 2018, 6:16 pm

I have traveled with pets in cabin three times. I never wanted to inconvenience anyone and the cats stayed in the carrier. I have heard too many stories of lost or dead pets in cargo.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
I have traveled with pets in cabin three times. I never wanted to inconvenience anyone and the cats stayed in the carrier. I have heard too many stories of lost or dead pets in cargo.
I understand your viewpoint, and I actually love cats and dogs but as I have got older my allergic reactions have got worse. Pet owners currently have sway over people with allergies in regard to priority in the cabin. I suspect it will take a couple of people dying from allergic reactions for the pendulum to swing the other way.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I understand your viewpoint, and I actually love cats and dogs but as I have got older my allergic reactions have got worse. Pet owners currently have sway over people with allergies in regard to priority in the cabin. I suspect it will take a couple of people dying from allergic reactions for the pendulum to swing the other way.
This comes up in threads about food allergies. Has anyone ever died from a pet allergy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.