Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2015, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Instead of boarding my dog over the thanksgiving break, I think I'll take him home to my parents house for the week. I have never done this before... I went online and booked his spot and paid the $250 round trip.

I am just curious about what I should expect at the airport (IAH). Is the dog ever allowed out of the carrier even before I board? I know the policy is that he has to be in the kennel and under the seat for the entire flight, no big deal.

Any advice/pointers? My only concern is that I am on a CR7 IAH-PSP in F on the way out (seat 2A)... I am hoping the underseat space is adequate! SNA-IAH on the way back on 73G in 3A.

thanks all!
The kennel must meet specific standards. And it can't be a pit bull.

One interesting rule is that not only must the kennel fit under the seat in front of you but it must also be spacious enough for the animal to stand up and turn around comfortably. Better be an awfully small dog.

Not sure how much space there is an RJ to meet that requirement.

From UA's Contract of Carriage: (I snipped out irrelevant lines)
H) Animals Other than Service Animals ... UA will accept domesticated cats, dogs, rabbits and household birds for transportation as in-cabin Baggage for domestic carriage and travel between U.S.A./Canada and Mexico, the Caribbean, Central and South America....UA will not accept dogs of the Pit Bull breed,
1) General Conditions of Acceptance
a) Advance arrangements must be made. Space must be reserved for animals in either the passenger or cargo compartment. Animals without reserved space will be accepted, if space is available, only after the animals for whom space has been reserved have been accommodated.
b) The animal must be harmless, inoffensive, odorless and require no attention during transit.
c) The animal must be confined in a cage or container subject to inspection and approval by UA before acceptance and must meet the department of agriculture requirements prior to acceptance.
d) The container must be stored under the seat directly in front of the Passenger at all times, and the animal must remain in the container at all times.

g) There may be only one cat or dog per container, and the animal must be able to stand up and turn around comfortably.

NOTE: Animals will not be accepted for carriage on some United Express flights.
2) Pet Containers
a) Containers must be leak-proof and subject to inspection and approval by UA prior to acceptance.
b) Containers must be made of metal, wood, polyethylene, fiberglass or composite material of similar strength.
c) Containers must be ventilated on at least two sides and prevent any part of the animal from protruding outside of the container.
d) Containers made totally of wire are not accepted.
e) Approved soft side carriers specifically designed as pet carriers are acceptable.

f) In-cabin animal containers must not exceed 17.5 inches in length by 12 inches in width by 7.5 inches in height for hard sided containers and 18 inches in length by 11 inches in width by 11 inches in height for soft sided containers.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I read the rules and ordered a soft-sided compliant kennel. I am more curious as to how the airport handles things... I see dogs walking on leashes all of the time in airports. (also in the UA club!) what are the rules pertaining to the airport? (ps, I would never bring my dog into the UA club!

Also, dogs are very "flexible".... I have a small French Bulldog.... he can "turnaround" without even standing up so, no doubt he'll be fine in the carrier.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Some airports only permit service animals to be outside their carrier. IAH has posted signs and indicating such, for example.

Other airports allow dogs out, no problem. On several occasions when going through security at SLC the security agents have told me "you can keep your dog out, he doesn't have to stay in his carrier here" which actually makes getting him through the terminal more of a job than simply carrying his carrier with the convenient shoulder strap.

Seat 2A on the CR7 is fine as far as pet accommodations go.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by avi8tir
I read the rules and ordered a soft-sided compliant kennel. I am more curious as to how the airport handles things... I see dogs walking on leashes all of the time in airports. (also in the UA club!) what are the rules pertaining to the airport? (ps, I would never bring my dog into the UA club!

Also, dogs are very "flexible".... I have a small French Bulldog.... he can "turnaround" without even standing up so, no doubt he'll be fine in the carrier.
Don't let the TSA X-ray your dog. I have had instances where they have insisted on running mine through the machine, and I have had to fight to stop it. That is not the correct procedure, only the carrier has to go thru the machine.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Don't let the TSA X-ray your dog. I have had instances where they have insisted on running mine through the machine, and I have had to fight to stop it. That is not the correct procedure, only the carrier has to go thru the machine.
Why wouldn't TSA have the right to x-ray your dog? Couldn't he carry/ingest or be used as a carrier or explosive device? I assume they can run the wand over it as that would be a HUGE vulnerability if someone wants to visit a kennel and buy a few tickets and have an undetected four leg carrier on board.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Why wouldn't TSA have the right to x-ray your dog? Couldn't he carry/ingest or be used as a carrier or explosive device? I assume they can run the wand over it as that would be a HUGE vulnerability if someone wants to visit a kennel and buy a few tickets and have an undetected four leg carrier on board.
Pets don't go through the belt like bags but they go through the same metal detector a human does. And then the pet owner gets to have their hands swabbed. At least for me in PreCheck that's how I do it.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 4:07 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Keep in mind that unless UA has changed their carry-on rules, a pet in a carrier carried on does not count against your 1 + personal item limit.

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Better suited for the TS&S forum, but honestly, would you let them x-ray your kid? Your spouse? X-rays are injurious to life.

Besides, what kind of bomb are you going to implant inside a cabin-sized carry-on pet? How will you detonate it? Will it pass the WTMD or Nude-o-Scope? (For that matter, you could secret much more of a bomb in your own insides...)

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Pets don't go through the belt like bags but they go through the same metal detector a human does. And then the pet owner gets to have their hands swabbed. At least for me in PreCheck that's how I do it.
That is how it's supposed to be done everywhere: carry your pet through the WTMD, and have your hands swabbed on the other side.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by exerda
Keep in mind that unless UA has changed their carry-on rules, a pet in a carrier carried on does not count against your 1 + personal item limit.
what if the pet is an ESA? we're traveling next week with our small dog and his backpack, and i was trying to figure out if i can still have my normal carry-on. anyone know?

(under no circumstances will he be going through the x-ray. sheesh.)
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
An acquaintance just brought over her 60 lb. pit bull ESA (with internet papers by her own admission) in First class next to her feet, no kennel -- on AA. For once UA has some common sense not to allow that to happen for now.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by miasmal
An acquaintance just brought over her 60 lb. pit bull ESA (with internet papers by her own admission) in First class next to her feet, no kennel -- on AA. For once UA has some common sense not to allow that to happen for now.
So how was the experience for her and her fellow passengers?
Old Dec 19, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miasmal
What do you mean that won't happen on UA? An ESA does not require a kennel and can be seated in the bulkhead, just not the exit row.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by karenkay
What do you mean that won't happen on UA? An ESA does not require a kennel and can be seated in the bulkhead, just not the exit row.
But they do need documentation. https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e_animals.aspx
Old Dec 19, 2015, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LXFlyer
Of course. miasmal said her acquaintance had internet papers. I'm assuming that's a letter (documentation). Still not sure how that's different than UA.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by karenkay
Of course. miasmal said her acquaintance had internet papers. I'm assuming that's a letter (documentation). Still not sure how that's different than UA.
To me, Internet papers mean something she got from a fake doctor. You can get just about anything on the internet. Just today I was looking at $60,000 jewelry from Costco.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
I may have read this wrong but I thought the thing being suggested as not allowed on UA was the pit bull breed.

UA allows pit bulls in reinforced crates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.