Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2016, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nigos
In the case I cited the animals did not have any indication of being service animals. Real service animals I understand i.e. guide dogs for the blind. Animals that provide "comfort" pose a more difficult problem. I think some people really need to travel with "comfort" animals but when the numbers approach 1 or 2 % of the population, I think we have a problem that needs to be addressed. Either our society is way too unstable or too many people are scamming the system. In any event the airlines need to set policy and follow that policy.
That many people are scamming the system because they don't want to pay the pet fee. it is too easy to get a stupid vest or even just say they are my comfort animal. And the airline cowtow to them because they don't want to get sued. There are specific rules before an animal, and what kind of animal, can be a "service" animal. but the rules for emotional support animals are about as gray as they get.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Baze
That many people are scamming the system because they don't want to pay the pet fee. it is too easy to get a stupid vest or even just say they are my comfort animal. And the airline cowtow to them because they don't want to get sued. There are specific rules before an animal, and what kind of animal, can be a "service" animal. but the rules for emotional support animals are about as gray as they get.
As someone who always pays ($250-) for our deadly silent (so much so that none ever knows that we have a pet with us in our camouflaged carrier), 5 kg dog, it offends me greatly to see people getting away with scamming the system.

Am I ever going to try to do anything like ratting-out an abuser or complaining to a GA/FA?
-Not on your life.

In this day and age of perceived micro-aggressions and petulant entitled narcissists, I think that I'll try to enjoy my flight and avoid conflicts where I can.

Last edited by zombietooth; Dec 5, 2016 at 6:46 am
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:18 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Moderator Note

Please remember that this is a discussion about traveling with pets on United flights and not a discussion about the validity or non-validity of what is/is not a service animal, gaming the system w/r/t traveling with pets and other assorted off topic subjects

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Dec 5, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by narvik
I flew with our cat from AVP-ORD-PEK a few years ago, and then a few years later back on PEK-EWR.
She was under the seat in front of me ("kenneled"), and I am pretty sure most passengers didn't know she was there.

Never noticed anyone sneeze excessively
Just because you didn't notice doesn't mean your kitty was unoffending.

Serious pet allergies (unlike those you see represented in TV comedies) result in anaphylactic shock -- not sneezing or other loud reactions. Indeed, the problem is the airways closing up and not being able to inhale/exhale. And when this happens, the problem is only evidenced by faint wheezing, or even worse, silence.
http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/allergies/anaphylaxis

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 5, 2016 at 11:41 am Reason: Removed snarky comment
Old Dec 5, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by seenitall
Just because you didn't notice doesn't mean your kitty was unoffending.
Absolutely, I agree. All I am saying is that I didn't notice.

Originally Posted by seenitall
Serious pet allergies (unlike those you see represented in TV comedies) result in anaphylactic shock -- not sneezing or other loud reactions.
Fair enough. I was referencing Aussienarelle's post #173 where sneezing is specifically mentioned.

Not trying to downplay pet allergies. My main point was (and still is) that IMO it's not practical to choose seats based on pets' location on any plane, because FA not necessarily being aware of their location and/or the 'offending' pet not being easily pinpointed.

It would be good to hear from persons who were successfully able to be re-seated and from persons who have experience where that was not made available or failed.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by blueman2
I was on a ps flight a couple weeks ago SFO-EWR with 4 animals in premium cabin. But I have no way of knowing which were pets vs service animals. These days, anything can be claimed as service animal, so who knows. I do not think this is any policy on number of service animals is there?
UA does not let you take pets into a p.s. business class cabin, so the dogs in question must be "service animals". That would also explain why they didn't have to be inside of a kennel. https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e_animals.aspx does not mention a limit on the number of service animals.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA GS
Recently on DEN-SFO there was a guy with two "emotional support dogs"
Not only were rather yapping at people, he took one each to the FC bathroom for a pee while the other was unsupervised. Several of us complained to the FC FA but she did nothing.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:25 am

Pets in international Business\First

I am traveling with my family to Europe in business class @ 767-400ER, when I called in to make the reservation I was told I can have a pet-in-cabin. Today I called in again, requesting to add a pet to my reservation but I was told that pets aren't allowed in international business/first, only in economy.

Pets are not permitted in our premium cabins on Boeing 747, 757, 767, 777 or 787 aircraft due to limited storage space under the seat.
I find it odd that United prevent you from taking your pet on the premium cabins and restricting their customers to flying economy or take their business elsewhere. My pet is tiny, talking about 7lbs Chihuahua and I don't wish to leave her home for 30 days. UA basically say - if the seats lays flat, you can't have a pet. I flew with other carries in the past in lay flat seats and had no issues.

I was looking into the "Service animals" and during my investigation understood that Emotional Support Animal may be the only solution.

UA refuse to refund the fares so I can't even search for other carriers.

Thoughts?
Are there any alternatives here?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by justsawaufo
I find it odd that United prevent you from taking your pet on the premium cabins and restricting their customers to flying economy or take their business elsewhere. My pet is tiny, talking about 7lbs Chihuahua and I don't wish to leave her home for 30 days. UA basically say - if the seats lays flat, you can't have a pet. I flew with other carries in the past in lay flat seats and had no issues.
It is my understanding, its not about lie flat, its more about there is no where to store the pet in the container/cage/kennel. (remember, UA does not allow for your pet to be out of the container while onboard).

I was looking into the "Service animals" and during my investigation understood that Emotional Support Animal may be the only solution.
I wouldn't be a fan of this path.... its abused enough already.

Thoughts?
Are there any alternatives here?
Aside from a dog sitter or kennel. Downgrade one of the family members.

Last edited by jhayes_1780; Apr 24, 2017 at 9:13 am
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:40 am

Delta has the same restriction. Where are you going to put your kennel? Lie-flat seats often don't have room to put something tucked in. It's a safety hazard.

First Class /Delta One® / Business Class Restriction
Pets in Cabin are not allowed in the First Class/ Delta One / Business Class cabin on any international segment, regardless of aircraft type due to insufficient space.

AA has similar restrictions.

You cannot travel with a carry-on pet when traveling transpacific.

You cannot travel with a carry-on pet when traveling to/from:

Argentina
Bolivia
Brazil
Chile
Uruguay
Venezuela

You cannot travel with a carry-on pet when traveling transatlantic.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Wouldn't you also run afoul of quarantine etc? If not on entry to Europe then on return to the USA?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:50 am

you really only have 3 options:
  1. you'd be ok if it was a 757-300, but only fly the -200 to AMS
  2. offer the customer UA PetSafe if time permits and customer has proper documents - UA will not waive the fee
  3. offer the customer the opportunity to purchase an additional seat at current fare levels. the kenneled animal would then be secured in the seat purchased
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:49 am

Thanks guys. I really don't have many choices at this point. I tend to go with the ESA. I would rather pay to have my pet in cabin and be done with it. but it's not an option.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
There was a couple with 2 Dachshunds IAH-AMS in their seat with them last year. They were covered up with blankets the whole time and never made a peep.

Assume they were registered as service dogs.... which is likely your only option.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: UA Global Svcs 3 MM, LH Senator, BA Gold
Thanks guys. I really don't have many choices at this point. I tend to go with the ESA. I would rather pay to have my pet in cabin and be done with it. but it's not an option.
You may find that UA pushes back on this, and rightly so.

So-called "emotional support animals" are an extraordinary abuse and affront to properly registered service animals that require prescription and certification from medical professionals. You might want to check on documentation required by UA (you can find this on line), before you show up at the airport and potentially are denied boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.