Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Don't people get it?! An increase in cost will return even more miles.

Earn Miles with PetPassSM

Earn OnePass miles through our popular PetPass program. OnePass members can earn one (1) OnePass mile for every dollar spent (including tax, fuel and security surcharges) when transporting a pet using Continental's acclaimed PetSafe service (in-cabin pets and service animals do not qualify for this program). Simply present your OnePass number at the time of booking your pet, and the miles will be credited to your account within 6 to 8 weeks.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Location: Kapalua, Maui- just paradise and Sun Valley, Idaho!!
Programs: Mileage Plus 1K .96MM (1MM this year-humm)
Wow- closed on Sunday. Thank you so much for posting this. Can't fly on Sundays. Aloha

Originally Posted by kwildnj
http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/cont...s/default.aspx

This is the United Preview Site's section on pet transport. It appears to be updated for the post-3/3 world.

From the site:

Pets are accepted at the Continental QuickPac / United SPD Package counters at airports, a ticket counter if designated for QuickPac/SPD, or the cargo facility should the first two not exist.

In BOI, This would be the United Freight Facility. Hours are 5:30am-6:00pm M-F.
Station Information: http://unitedcargo.com/utilities/cp1...x=46&Reset.x=&

At OGG, This would be the Ticket Counter. Hours are 10:45am-9:15pm Daily.
Station Information: http://www.unitedcargo.com/utilities...x=28&Reset.x=&

I hope I have been some help. Good luck.
It is currently easy to bring our dogs from Boise. A little expensive and tests and paperwork. Leaving our two dogs for the summer would be like leaving our kids when they were small for the summer. A deal breaker.

Originally Posted by cblaisd
You haven't been able to bring an in-cabin pet to Hawai`i in recent memory.

In fact, I'm not sure there is a US-based carrier that allows in-cabin Hawai`i-bound pets. (ATA used to but at the time my friends who were bringing us our cats researched it, they were the only ones. That was eight years ago so UA's current no-pets-in-cabin on Hawai`i-bound flights is not a new rule)

Wow. You go through the involved and expensive quarantine or airport-release process twice a year for bringing your dogs to Hawai`i?
United- Always
Originally Posted by Strom
On what airline?!

You're the OP. The world wants to know.
I as the OP want to apologize for not responding earlier than today. I originally posted on 2-13 and then I could not find my thread anywhere until today. Must be too much travel on United. I usually take the 6AM flight out of Boise to SFO and then to Maui. It looks like cargo is not open until 5:30AM so scratch the early flight and will have to take the later flight- not the end of the world. Also looks like no Sunday flying with "the Boys" as cargo is closed on Sundays in Boise and Maui. Also in the past we could take both dogs on same flight. One in cabin BOI to SFO and then check him at counter to Maui. Now we have to go to cargo in SFO. Take a taxi to another part of airport and then come back and miss flight-not. So now my wife and I fly on different days because two dogs. I guess better chance of upgrades with one person on the ticket. LOL. Thanks for all the feedback. Those of us that have and certainly love our pets will understand the concern.
Aloha,
Al

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 25, 2012 at 1:36 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
upgrading in-cabin pet reservation on the new United

I made my first reservation on the new United system yesterday. I very much like the ability to include an in-cabin pet on the reservation, with a confirmation of the pet by name!

However, there were a few issues:
1) the website states that cabin pets are not allowed in the front cabin of a 757. That is a major bummer, since most of our pet travel has been in first class in a domestic 757. Any idea why?
2) in coach on a 757, the website says that the pet needs to be in a window seat. When you try to book in coach, only window seats are available, even for two people traveling with one pet.
3) I ended up booking Airbus flights with upgrade space available. But, I'm not seeing any way of upgrading the flight online. Do I have to call (gulp)?

(for those who wonder why someone would travel with a dog, my husband and I are doing a couple of days of business meetings followed by a week of agility, obedience and hunting competitions at the national dachshund show.)
Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Just called United's pet line to find out about dogs traveling as cargo (not in cabin) to Maui from Boise. The lady put me on hold for a while and then came back not knowing anything yet and suggested I call back in a week. I will call in a week and post what I find. I am glad I am not traveling right now with my dogs a I bet it is confusion.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:54 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
I am looking at this TSA Requirement:

There is a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) directive known as "change 5" which went into effect 01 February 2009 that reads as follows:

Receiving Tendered Cargo (non-U.S. Origin shipments).

All shipments accepted in non-US locations from shippers other than Regulated Agents or International Air Transport Association (IATA)-Approved Agents must be tendered by a Cargo Agent, Consolidator, Freight Forwarder, All-Cargo Aircraft Operator or All-Cargo Foreign Air Carrier. Shipments can no longer be accepted from an entity which does not meet one of these definitions including Live Animals and Human Remains.

What does this mean?

All animals (pets) coming into the US booked as manifest cargo must be tendered at their origin airport by a "Regulated Agent" or "IATA-Approved."

Pets traveling with their owners as "excess luggage" (in the cargo hold under the plane but traveling with their owner) or in the passenger cabin being imported into the US are not affected by this regulation
Does anyone know - since with Petsafe the pets travel as cargo, do we need to get a seperate shipping agent when returning to the U.S.? Or does United act as the shipping agent?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver
Outdated info deleted.

Last edited by FL_philatelist; Feb 6, 2013 at 5:27 am Reason: OBE.
Old May 8, 2012, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Flying pets to Hawaii or elsewhere on UA

I hope the mods don't move this to the "traveling with pets" section as this is only on United.

As of March 3, 2012, United has adopted the CO pet policies. Supposed to be better but maybe not. We fly our two dogs from Maui to Boise twice a year. It has been easy in the past but now it is different. We are going back to Boise in June. I called the new "pet line" (was on hold for 45 minutes) to find out what to do now that pets down below are "cargo". The friendly agent told me that now we take our dogs to united cargo three hours before the flight and do the paperwork and that cargo will take the dogs to the plane. Sounds simple, not!!! Not trusting United, we decided to go to the airport this month just to confirm and find out where United cargo is located. In our case, going from Maui to Boise is ALWAYS a red eye unless we want to spend the night at SFO. Hard to do with two dogs. Off we go to the airport and finally find United cargo. I asked the person in cargo about the procedure for our pets. I already know that cargo was closed on Sunday because I asked. Nobody ever mentioned this. I mentioned we go out on the 9 to 10PM flight and he tells me, " We close at 4:30 PM and we do not take the pets to the plane. We need to come earlier in the day or the day before with the dogs and kennel to do the paperwork. Then the night of the flight we take the dogs to the counter. The Pet line knew nothing about that at all. If we had not gone early to speak to cargo, we would have show up around 6PM to leave the dogs at cargo and we have found cargo closed. Would have missed that flight. I think this procedure may only be for Maui, but I am not sure.

Fast forward to Sept. and bringing the dogs back to Maui from Boise. We usually take the 6AM flight out of Boise to SFO then Maui. I called Boise Cargo and they open at 5:30AM and at Boise they take the dogs to the plane but we have to arrive 3 hours early. I asked if we could do the paperwork the day before and they said no. No more early flights to Maui with the dogs.

If you are flying with pets "below the cabin", then you should go to the airport ahead of time to see what the procedure is at that airport. The Pet line does not know anything. Once we know what the procedures are at different airports it should be find. Good luck flying with your pets.
Aloha
Al
Old May 9, 2012, 3:36 am

Programs: United MP Platinum+ / 1Million Miles+ and Flying Blue
United changes policy for certain dogs to fly

Hi;

seems to be more old Continental rules than United if I read that right?

One interesting thing is the change.org potential to push change. I could think of several things to change, CEO, marketing dept. MP levels into 3 max, drop all the food, etc etc etc.

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...,5146370.story
Old May 9, 2012, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pixmotion
Hi;

seems to be more old Continental rules than United if I read that right?

One interesting thing is the change.org potential to push change. I could think of several things to change, CEO, marketing dept. MP levels into 3 max, drop all the food, etc etc etc.

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...,5146370.story
I can see the power of change.org on such a topic. Not for a new CEO. That's just silly...
Old May 9, 2012, 4:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Though a CEO change might be more interesting...

Glad the dog policy has changed.
Old May 9, 2012, 4:25 am

Programs: United MP Platinum+ / 1Million Miles+ and Flying Blue
Originally Posted by aacharya
I can see the power of change.org on such a topic. Not for a new CEO. That's just silly...
perhaps, I was just saying it seems to be a good way to project a voice. I believe the CEO is always responsible, because he/she must delegate, and chose who is best to do that delegating.

45k signatures for a dog travel policy? On the one hand, they are very organized people, but on the other hand, it seems to me a lot of the complaints that are on Flyertalk fall on deaf ears. If you had 45k signatures for sue of the bad policies on United, it for sure _exposes_ those decisions. In public companies, you do not want that. You pay PR firms millions to project brand and image. Last thing you want is CNN or LA times pointing to some "guitar guy" on Youtube or some Change.org petition.
Old May 9, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Originally Posted by lapeter
I hope the mods don't move this to the "traveling with pets" section as this is only on United.

As of March 3, 2012, United has adopted the CO pet policies. Supposed to be better but maybe not. We fly our two dogs from Maui to Boise twice a year.
Alaska allows pet in cabin (small dogs & cats only) BOTH directions now. My dog is now enjoying their fantastic pet service ~4x a year into/out of OGG. Its really such a shame that united can't offer the same level service.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by octeckels
I made my first reservation on the new United system yesterday. I very much like the ability to include an in-cabin pet on the reservation, with a confirmation of the pet by name!

However, there were a few issues:
1) the website states that cabin pets are not allowed in the front cabin of a 757. That is a major bummer, since most of our pet travel has been in first class in a domestic 757. Any idea why?
2) in coach on a 757, the website says that the pet needs to be in a window seat. When you try to book in coach, only window seats are available, even for two people traveling with one pet.
3) I ended up booking Airbus flights with upgrade space available. But, I'm not seeing any way of upgrading the flight online. Do I have to call (gulp)?

(for those who wonder why someone would travel with a dog, my husband and I are doing a couple of days of business meetings followed by a week of agility, obedience and hunting competitions at the national dachshund show.)
Pets are allowed in the front cabin of a 757... "If" they are a service dog... Yesterday, i was flying UA755 IAH-PHL and 1A had a pet. I was sitting in 2B and am highly allergic to dogs. Told the FA that I needed to change seats and that I was surprised that a dog was in F of a 757. Red coat came on the plane and told me that it was a "service dog" and there was nothing they could do but relocate me to a different seat. BTW, there is no way this was a "service dog". Thankfully, 5E was willing to switch seats and I was able to take some Benedryl to combat the symptoms. My question is this: why doesn't UA show where animals will be located on the seat maps? I would have selected a seat further away if I would have know. is there anyway to find out this information before you board a flight?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by airarchtx
Pets are allowed in the front cabin of a 757... "If" they are a service dog...
Service dogs are not pets.

"support" animals? well.... thats debateable.

BTW, there is no way this was a "service dog".
Did it have one of those vests on?

I would have selected a seat further away if I would have know. is there anyway to find out this information before you board a flight?
None that I am aware of. Maybe a call the night before?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

For $150 you can buy the vest and tag saying your pet is a service animal. Only that will not work with United. You need a letter from a shrink stating you have been under their care for at least a year and that you need the dog/cat for emotionally being able to fly. I know that a lot of people get those letters.

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Service dogs are not pets.

"support" animals? well.... thats debateable.

Did it have one of those vests on?

None that I am aware of. Maybe a call the night before?
One more point- once they are truly a service animal, you can not discriminate on this issue.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 21, 2012 at 3:07 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.