Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by cblaisd
You haven't been able to bring an in-cabin pet to Hawai`i in recent memory.
Correct.

In fact, I'm not sure there is a US-based carrier that allows in-cabin Hawai`i-bound pets. (ATA used to but at the time my friends who were bringing us our cats researched it, they were the only ones. That was eight years ago so UA's current no-pets-in-cabin on Hawai`i-bound flights is not a new rule)
Not quite correct. Alaska does. http://www.dogjaunt.com/2011/08/taki...aska-airlines/

Wow. You go through the involved and expensive quarantine or airport-release process twice a year for bringing your dogs to Hawai`i?
Man's best friend.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:16 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Moderators have removed several posts from this thread for being off-topic. Please keep comments to the new pet travel policy.

Thank you,
l'etoile
UA moderator
Old Feb 19, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA/CO 1K, AA Gold, SPG PP, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lapeter
We take our 2 dogs back and forth to Maui from Boise a couple of times a year. TIA
On what airline?!

You're the OP. The world wants to know.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Wow. You go through the involved and expensive quarantine or airport-release process twice a year for bringing your dogs to Hawai`i?
This is no longer required. While still involved, the options exist without quarantine. We dealt with this last year to get the family dog over to OGG. Some paperwork on both ends, plus lots of documentation from both our vet, as well as a vet in Maui, plus some shots. Not easy, but much better than the previous quarantine requirement.

To answer another question; while I can't speak for the OP, I have met him and feel pretty confident that UA is the only carrier that he flys between Hawaii and the mainland.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat (not much longer)
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
This is no longer required. While still involved, the options exist without quarantine. We dealt with this last year to get the family dog over to OGG. Some paperwork on both ends, plus lots of documentation from both our vet, as well as a vet in Maui, plus some shots. Not easy, but much better than the previous quarantine requirement.

To answer another question; while I can't speak for the OP, I have met him and feel pretty confident that UA is the only carrier that he flys between Hawaii and the mainland.
Good to hear all of this info. My S.O. said if we did not have good accomodations for our family pet that our pet would get my seat in First on our next trip.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 5:50 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Is there any announcement of this change of policy on United's website? I made a reservation for travel in April with my dog two weeks ago and was quoted the extra baggage price ($250).

Originally Posted by oenophilist
I would get a kennel with nuts and bolts. Last time I took my pets across the atlantic on UA, it was required. They are generally getting stricter on this point.
Just in case anyone else has these concerns, there are nuts and bolts out there for sale that will work in most kennels with snaps:

http://www.dryfur.com/universal_kennel_hardware.htm

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 23, 2012 at 7:38 am Reason: multi-quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Cannonball Run
Apparently some of the people interviewed over on the above link don't think this is a change they are going to like.

If United's Facebook page is any indication of consumer reaction to the new policy, people are outraged:

"As a military member with upcomming [sic] orders to Europe, and with 2 Golden Reyrievers [sic] my wife and I will be taking with us, I will do everything in my power not to use your airline. It is outrageous to charge so much."

"They [military] fight so you can stay in business and ya still put the screws to them. No more United for this family!"

"These new fees are supposedly the result of Japan charging a freight fee for cargo. Oh wait…this only happened after United reclassified pets as cargo instead of excess baggage. Seriously United? You get a huge government contract only to screw over US service members? Someone tell Jeff Smisek to shove it where sun don't shine!"
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:23 pm

I'll answer my own question about notification - overnight, I received this email:

Effective March 3rd, 2012, United Airlines will be adopting Continental Airlines’ award-winning PetSafe program for transporting pets. This program brings a number of enhancements to your pet’s travel experience and we think you will be pleased with the changes we’re making.

We have noticed that you already have a reservation in place on or after March 3rd which may be affected by changes in the new program. We would like to talk with you these changes and how it may affect your travel, but we do not have a current phone number on file that we can use to reach you. We would request that you call the PetSafe 24-hour Live Animal Desk (800.575.3335 or 832.235.1541) at your earliest convenience so that one of our highly-trained agents can walk you through the new program and how it may affect your reservation with us.

Thank you so much for choosing to fly with United Airlines.
I was quoted $250 when I made the reservation to fly my 40lbs dog in the hold from Moscow to Dulles. I'll report back and let you know what happens.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:02 am

Well, so far, I can't say I'm impressed.

I called, spoke with an agent who couldn't find my reservation because it was on UA and not CO, was put on hold and, after 45 minutes with no human interaction, I hung up.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
All this fury, still no actual numbers.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
Originally Posted by mduell
More sensationalism, still no numbers/details.

The price has gone up as a result of providing better service (temperature controlled, etc) and safety for the pets. CO killed 3 pets last year while Delta killed 19 so I'd say the PetSafe program is doing something good.

Should the airline eat the increased handling costs? In effect that's making all passengers subsidize the few who choose to travel with their pets.
Should the airline provide a cheaper, lower level of service that's more risky to the pets health and life?
Perhaps I'm naive, but I've always thought that the CO PetSafe program is excellent. Perhaps the people who are complaining about sending pets as cargo rather than baggage don't understand the program? It's not like your animal is treated as a box being shipped from point A to point B. You pay a lot, but you get something for that. The animals seem to be moved very carefully. There are procedures in place to handle cold weather, hot weather, and CO will feed and water your animal if needed. From what I've seen, if you send your animal as baggage on another airline, it is treated as such. I personally feel much more comfortable with PetSafe.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cjermain
Perhaps I'm naive, but I've always thought that the CO PetSafe program is excellent. Perhaps the people who are complaining about sending pets as cargo rather than baggage don't understand the program? It's not like your animal is treated as a box being shipped from point A to point B. You pay a lot, but you get something for that. The animals seem to be moved very carefully. There are procedures in place to handle cold weather, hot weather, and CO will feed and water your animal if needed. From what I've seen, if you send your animal as baggage on another airline, it is treated as such. I personally feel much more comfortable with PetSafe.
That's the gripe. UACO is saying "we're going to force you to pay for a higher level of service for your pet" by not offering the baggage option.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 7:44 am

I had a much better experience with my second call to Petsafe.

They're going to trasport my pup at the original price I was quoted, but needed to get her into the system that will exist after March 3rd. The agent was very nice and knew his stuff. I'm going to chalk up the first experience to first-day hiccups and move on.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
I wonder if the person who typed out that little press release was able to keep a straight face when they typed out "Constructive feedback"

It was anything but. Especially the first few days it was downright nasty. Everything from supporters of United being stalked through facebook and finding threatening messages on their voicemail to military spouses saying that United owes the military because the reason they are serving overseas is because of United planes being used as weapons.

After a few days it did settle down a little but never have I seen a more intimidating and enraged group of people. At least some have came back to thank United for reviewing the policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.