Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by lancelot21
At the end of this week, Mrs Lancelot and I are flying to Europe with two in-cabin pets. Every discussion I've seen online suggests that a pet carrier counts as one of your two pieces (i.e., a bag plus personal item). But United's website says:
You're also allowed to bring the following items on board, in addition to your one bag and one personal item limit:
  • Jacket or umbrella
  • Reading material
  • Food or merchandise purchased in the airport
  • Assistive devices (collapsible wheelchair, cane, one set of crutches, medical devices needed to administer prescription medications, portable oxygen concentrator, etc.)
  • FAA-approved child restraint system or safety seat
  • Diaper bag
  • Breast pump
  • Pet carrier (service charges apply for in-cabin pets)
Is this a policy change? A website mistake? Has anyone successfully brought a bag plus a personal item plus a pet carrier through TSA and on board?

It would help enormously to be able to have one additional carry-on, but I don't want to get stuck at TSA or someplace.

I'd note, if it matters, that we've paid for the seat between us as an "extra seat," though the United's website claims we don't get extra carry-on.

(Sorry if this is dealt with elsewhere. I find lots of discussion of how it's one of our items but I couldn't find anything addressing the language on United's website.)
We fly with our 12 lb dog regularly and have not had a problem with two additional pieces. Sometimes the FAs ask to see the pet ticket.

As as back-up, you could buy one of these to substitute for one of your pieces (especially if you are connecting to a Intra-European flight):

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/6371...-traveler-vest

I have loaded over 15 kg of stuff into one of these before and had no problems on QF and some of the European carriers which restrict carry-on weight. There are no restrictions on what you can wear. There are a bunch of different ones on the market and some even have huge pockets on the back that will easily hold a 13" laptop and have a bigger weight capacity.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Originally Posted by zombietooth
We fly with our 12 lb dog regularly and have not had a problem with two additional pieces. Sometimes the FAs ask to see the pet ticket.

As as back-up, you could buy one of these to substitute for one of your pieces (especially if you are connecting to a Intra-European flight):

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/6371...-traveler-vest

I have loaded over 15 kg of stuff into one of these before and had no problems on QF and some of the European carriers which restrict carry-on weight. There are no restrictions on what you can wear. There are a bunch of different ones on the market and some even have huge pockets on the back that will easily hold a 13" laptop and have a bigger weight capacity.

Helpful--thanks for providing some "actual traveler" experience. My hope is to have a roller bag, a backpack (not overloaded), and a pet carrier.

I am also wearing a comparable vest (the SCOTTe version). If need be, I plan to be able to eliminate the backpack. I am hoping that won't be necessary.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Still curious whether anyone has had a problem from UA or TSA with a pet carrier in addition to a bag and a personal item?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Pets in cabin - united polaris

Does anyone know if the new seat design in Polaris has a big enough foot well for a dog carrier to fit and whether united will reconsider their in cabin pets in business class rules as a result?

Swiss and LH both allow pets in business class cabins (different seat design).
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by aussieinsf
Does anyone know if the new seat design in Polaris has a big enough foot well for a dog carrier to fit and whether united will reconsider their in cabin pets in business class rules as a result?
I was always under the impression that the "limited storage space under the seat" part of "Two pets per flight are allowed in our premium cabins on select aircraft. Pets are not permitted in our premium cabins on Boeing 747, 757, 767, 777 or 787 aircraft due to limited storage space under the seat" was more of an excuse to justify their unwillingness to allow pets in the premium cabin.

With that in mind, I doubt UA will change their rule on this.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
My concern when flying with animals in the cabin

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel...e122e075311b04

Good to know that on Southwest animals have priority over humans. Glad I fly United but warning for all of us with allergies to animal dander...
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:16 am

Is this, I'll die if exposed to animals?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle

Good to know that on Southwest animals have priority over humans. Glad I fly United but warning for all of us with allergies to animal dander...
animals have priority on UA as well.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by zitsky
Is this, I'll die if exposed to animals?
This is I have asthma attacks and do all I can to avoid animal dander. Recirculated air can carry the animal fur. I would prefer not to put myself in the position where there may be a trigger for an attack. Yes, people die from asthma attacks.

I have actually sent a note to UA to see if there is a way this can be put in my profile as there is no option when booking for "please do not seat me near an animal" - I can however choose window or aisle preference.

I have been flying for over 30 years on a regular basis and there are far more animals on planes now than previously. I am starting to think that perhaps my flying days will soon be coming to an end - but hopefully not on a plane via an asthma attack due to animals being in the cabin.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Moderator Note

For those interested in the WN situation, please drop in on the WN forum for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...-ejection.html

And let's remember the focus of this thread is providing information for those traveling with pets on UA.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:23 pm

This is I have asthma attacks and do all I can to avoid animal dander. Recirculated air can carry the animal fur. I would prefer not to put myself in the position where there may be a trigger for an attack. Yes, people die from asthma attacks.

I have actually sent a note to UA to see if there is a way this can be put in my profile as there is no option when booking for "please do not seat me near an animal" - I can however choose window or aisle preference.

I have been flying for over 30 years on a regular basis and there are far more animals on planes now than previously. I am starting to think that perhaps my flying days will soon be coming to an end - but hopefully not on a plane via an asthma attack due to animals being in the cabin.
Not trying to be funny at all, but how do you handle people whose clothes have pet dander? Any pet owner would have some.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
Not trying to be funny at all, but how do you handle people whose clothes have pet dander? Any pet owner would have some.
I carry an inhaler but refer not to have to use it (steroid use over many years is not optimal) and will move to somewhere I can get fresh air/run a hot steamy shower to open my airways (neither of which are options on a plane). I actually like animals and when I was younger had a number of pets but as I have gotten older the allergic reactions have gotten worse such I can no longer have pets. :-( My friends are aware of my allergy and vacuum their homes (and themselves if need be) before I visit and keep the animals away from me.

I actually have refused to get into ubers when I notice significant animal shedding on seats. It is all about trying to manage my allergy (and I do recognize I need to take responsibility to minimize my exposure). However, it is much easier to order another car than plane.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Legally, service animals have priority and that is exactly how it should be. No different than parking my car further away because the handicap parking spaces have priority, as it should be.

While I sympathize with your allergy situation, when one goes out in public, certain risks are assumed. We have 4 birds in my home, and I am probably covered in a fair amount of dander every day, whether its my clothes, skin or hair - if I was sitting beside you and you detected a problem from the dander on my clothing, skin or hair, who is expected to move? Me or you?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Legally, service animals have priority and that is exactly how it should be. No different than parking my car further away because the handicap parking spaces have priority, as it should be.

While I sympathize with your allergy situation, when one goes out in public, certain risks are assumed. We have 4 birds in my home, and I am probably covered in a fair amount of dander every day, whether its my clothes, skin or hair - if I was sitting beside you and you detected a problem from the dander on my clothing, skin or hair, who is expected to move? Me or you?
You do know, you're never getting an answer to that question. No one will agree, one way or the other.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:01 pm

FYI - I also have pretty bad dog/cat allergies. I wrote to UA asking what I should do if I'm sat near one. This was there response

United Airlines does allow pet in cabin for passengers as well as service animals to travel with passengers.

If you are on a flight and are seated next to another passenger that has a pet-in-cabin you can request to be moved to another seat if available. If another seat is not available, then you can request to be moved to another flight. There are times that passengers will asked to change seats with other passengers.

You can contact United Airlines reservations department to see if there are any in-cabin pets on your particular flight. Please know that the information can change at any time up until departure. Meaning you can call 24 hours prior and there might be no pets on the flight, however day of departure, someone may change changed their flight or book that particular flight and does have a in-cabin pet.

as a Premier 1K MileagePlus member you have made a significant contribution to our airlines, and I want to thank you for your business and continued loyalty. We look forward to serving you in the near future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.