Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by porciuscato
They pointedly do not provide the car on demand. I was on crutches one time at DEN and asked for it and they said no. I think maybe the idea is for it to be a random surprise or something.

Out of the dozen times I got car rides, there was only one where I actually needed it because of a tight connection. Most of the other times, I actually had ample extra time to make it to the gate.
X 2, I have had the car a couple of times on really tight connections,mostly when I have to do the sprint of doom there is no sign of the car or GS, I generally get it when I have 3 hour lay over and they want to take me to the club.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:06 am

Programs: United 1MM, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
However, you CAN request a/wheelchair transport/assist and often they may use an electric cart to move you around the terminal. This is not unique to GS travelers but a good option if you have limited mobility. Note, not to be abused by those who really don't have an issue...there are elderly and disabled people who really do need the service.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Global Services and 3MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond/Marriott Titanium Ambassador, Hertz PC
Always tip Mercedes driver
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 3 MM, CLEAR
Originally Posted by KevinPK1
Always tip Mercedes driver
I have always wondered about tipping the driver. I suspect they are not UA employees - so do not have all of the UA benefits. I used to always tip, but this year, I actually had the driver refuse the tip. What do others think about tipping the driver?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:32 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RAPUAFlyer
I have always wondered about tipping the driver. I suspect they are not UA employees - so do not have all of the UA benefits. I used to always tip, but this year, I actually had the driver refuse the tip. What do others think about tipping the driver?
I always tip. I've never had it refused.
manstein58 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: UA Global Services and 3MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond/Marriott Titanium Ambassador, Hertz PC
I tip the GS person meeting me at gate too that accompanies me on the ride. They don't refuse.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by KevinPK1
I tip the GS person meeting me at gate too that accompanies me on the ride. They don't refuse.
I find tipping in these situations odd. Of course restaurant employees etc deserve tips as they can be paid below minimum wage. These workers are not in the same situation. To tip anyone providing above and beyond services due to loyalty/spend seems a bit absurd. United is providing this because we spend a ton of money on them - they should be the ones footing the bill. It’s not to say individuals shouldn’t do it based on personal preferences but it shouldn’t be an expected norm. I understand they likely don’t make a great salary but it’s not as if folks tip every low paid worker they encounter (e.g. fast food employees, janitors in the lounges or airports, cleaning crews on flights, etc).

There’s also the practical matter that I almost never have any cash on me and if I do it’s $20’s. Credit cards and Apple Pay essentially cover 99% of payment situations.
iluv2fly and porciuscato like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:17 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8
I find tipping in these situations odd. Of course restaurant employees etc deserve tips as they can be paid below minimum wage. These workers are not in the same situation. To tip anyone providing above and beyond services due to loyalty/spend seems a bit absurd. United is providing this because we spend a ton of money on them - they should be the ones footing the bill. It’s not to say individuals shouldn’t do it based on personal preferences but it shouldn’t be an expected norm. I understand they likely don’t make a great salary but it’s not as if folks tip every low paid worker they encounter (e.g. fast food employees, janitors in the lounges or airports, cleaning crews on flights, etc).

There’s also the practical matter that I almost never have any cash on me and if I do it’s $20’s. Credit cards and Apple Pay essentially cover 99% of payment situations.
If you have $20, why not tip the driver?
LIH likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by manstein58
If you have $20, why not tip the driver?
As I said I rarely have cash so even $20's is a rarity but regardless, that's well above what I would consider for a cash tip. For housekeeping after a longer stay, seems reasonable. For a 5 minute drive across the tarmac that feels excessive. Just my personal feelings on tipping.
drklain, Dyce, limey1K and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
This whole tipping discussion probably deserves a dedicated thread....
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Did everyone who requalify get their 2020 kit?
If you are also a MM flyer, did your companion's card arrive in the same package like last year?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by kittiyut
Did everyone who requalify get their 2020 kit?
If you are also a MM flyer, did your companion's card arrive in the same package like last year?
I believe that it has been previously reported that no MM companion cards were sent this year.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
1. I always tip drivers, bartenders, and wait staff, and housekeeping staff - because no matter what the wages are in that city/country, I wouldn't want to do what they do.

2. Actually MM companion cards were sent this year. My spouse received it before I did.

3. with Covid-19 and subsequent reduced travels, I wonder how many would qualify for 2021 GS. I would assume that significant number of people who are cooling their heels. I've had to cancel 3 SFO-SIN. a SFO-HKG, and a SFO-ICN scheduled for 2/20-4/20. I see cancellations in my future for Europe as well.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by meducate
I believe that it has been previously reported that no MM companion cards were sent this year.
If the GS companion is 1K after meeting 1K requirements.

Does he get GS or 1K card?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 4:54 pm

COVID-19

Originally Posted by MostlyUA
1. I always tip drivers, bartenders, and wait staff, and housekeeping staff - because no matter what the wages are in that city/country, I wouldn't want to do what they do.

2. Actually MM companion cards were sent this year. My spouse received it before I did.

3. with Covid-19 and subsequent reduced travels, I wonder how many would qualify for 2021 GS. I would assume that significant number of people who are cooling their heels. I've had to cancel 3 SFO-SIN. a SFO-HKG, and a SFO-ICN scheduled for 2/20-4/20. I see cancellations in my future for Europe as well.
I was wondering the same thing with COVID-19. I have had to cancel 3 trips as well. I wonder if United will take this into account come 2021...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.