Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:04 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by Maryd001
Received a challenge today for $18k spend between Feb 1 and Apr 30.

It would be a stretch for me to get to $18 on United Metal since many of my trips include travel within Europe and Asia. It may be doable If I look for the most expensive business class tickets to Europe and Australia. But I am thinking I would rather fly Singapore or ANA for less money rather than stressing over this.

Back to 1K I go.
The definite upside of changes to UA program is a lot of people will make different choices for INTL premium and realize a better travel experience awaits them
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:04 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA 1k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Maryd001
Received a challenge today for $18k spend between Feb 1 and Apr 30.

It would be a stretch for me to get to $18 on United Metal since many of my trips include travel within Europe and Asia. It may be doable If I look for the most expensive business class tickets to Europe and Australia. But I am thinking I would rather fly Singapore or ANA for less money rather than stressing over this.

Back to 1K I go.
I received the same challenge. I'm already at $12k in February, with one more trip to Asia yet to book. It should be very doable more me.

Do you think trips that were booked in January, to be flown in February, will count towards the challenge? I would guess that they would...
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:03 am

These reports of 18k challenges make me wonder if 2021 GS requirements will rise to 70k+ since I believe lower challenges were offered in past years and the consensus is that 50k is a safe spend level for requal and 1st time qualifiers.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:57 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
These reports of 18k challenges make me wonder if 2021 GS requirements will rise to 70k+ since I believe lower challenges were offered in past years and the consensus is that 50k is a safe spend level for requal and 1st time qualifiers.
Considering the plethora of sub $50K requals I'd say 100% no that something like that is in the works.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium
I haven't heard back yet on my reconsideration request - also sent an email to GS in last Friday and received an email back saying that it had been submitted very shortly after. I would gladly do a challenge though!
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:57 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA 1k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by almostfrench0612
I haven't heard back yet on my reconsideration request - also sent an email to GS in last Friday and received an email back saying that it had been submitted very shortly after. I would gladly do a challenge though!
I have yet to receive an email response, but my challenge offer is listed on the "my status" site for MileagePlus
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:47 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium
ok i see it now (i had not scrolled down before). i also received an email. Looks like the period is also flexible if you need to change it to Jan-Mar or Mar-May etc. you basically have 4 options for a 3-month window.
flybyFIRE likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:33 am

challenge email

here is what i got
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zerodark
here is what i got
You going to be able to hit it?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 1:18 pm

challenge

think so, but it’s definitely not easy and will require some unnecessary y fares probably

anyone have suggestions for short pqd runs if needed? lax to sfo is $1k for a y fare for example
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:10 pm

Phone Call

I just had a phone call welcoming me to GS for 2020. The email came on the 10th Jan and the app was updated prior to that. Not sure if this was for 1st time GS or they are just working through a list.
manstein58 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: United Global Services
What are this group’s thoughts on factors that determine GS beyond a customer’s UA revenue and home base? Could demographics play a role (e.g., grant GS to a younger customer who’s more likely to have a higher lifetime value compared to an older customer)? What about your disservice level (e.g., give GS to a 1K who’s had a lot of IRROPS, CPUs never clear, etc.)?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
UA's IT org is somewhere between mediocre and above average. Given that, I doubt they have a world class AI team that sits along side this organization to leverage UA's vast pool of customer data.

In theory there is so much they can do in this area. For example, is a customer a 'rock' or a 'sponge' . Meaning could you squeeze more money from the customer and how.

Rock - corporate fully controls airline selection, fare classes, etc. Also, customer is absolutely unwilling to contribute their own dollars towards upgrades or other amenities.

Sponge - flyer has compete discretion over airline selection, fare classes, and is willing to contribute their own dollars towards amenities.

UA doesn't do this segmentation well. For example, they offer similar value TOD's, by region, across the customer base, etc...

UA could generate tons of revenue if they nailed this area. They'll eventually get there, but I project it'll take them untill the end of the decade to become good in this area.
LIH likes this.

Last edited by spartacusmcfly; Jan 18, 2020 at 1:57 pm
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:36 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
UA's IT org is somewhere between mediocre and above average. Given that, I doubt they have a world class AI team that sits along side this organization to leverage UA's vast pool of customer data.

In theory there is so much they can do in this area. For example, is a customer a 'rock' or a 'sponge' . Meaning could you squeeze more money from the customer and how.

Rock - corporate fully controls airline selection, fare classes, etc. Also, customer is absolutely unwilling to contribute their own dollars towards upgrades or other amenities.

Sponge - flyer has compete discretion over airline selection, fare classes, and is willing to contribute their own dollars towards amenities.

UA doesn't do this segmentation well. For example, they offer similar value TOD's, by region, across the customer base, etc...

UA could generate tons of revenue if they nailed this area. They'll eventually get there, but I project it'll take them untill the end of the decade to become good in this area.
Very well put. Having a few friends that work for corporate here in Chicago I think this jives with their own frustrations around how blunt a lot of the decision making apparatus is within the company.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: United 1MM, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by ei124
What are this group’s thoughts on factors that determine GS beyond a customer’s UA revenue and home base? Could demographics play a role (e.g., grant GS to a younger customer who’s more likely to have a higher lifetime value compared to an older customer)? What about your disservice level (e.g., give GS to a 1K who’s had a lot of IRROPS, CPUs never clear, etc.)?
I think you are reading far too much into it. We know that the factor United uses is United revenue and (to a limited extent) prediction of revenue in the coming year. They do this based on how much you spent last year and what your three year total (and average) spend is. There are those who have speculated that CPM is a factor and that profitability is a factor, but there isn't definitive data to support this except in gross numbers (total money spent).

My opinions on the points you raised:
  • Demographaphics (age) - non-factor. As a matter of fact, using this (if it came out) would subject them to an age-discrimination lawsuit. No corporate counsel would sign off on that.
  • Dis-service level (IRROPS, upgrade clearance, etrc.) - non factor. The fact you were hassled more last year doesn't matter. Focus is on what you are likely to spend this year.
  • Homebase - probably a factor to the extent they don't want to have too many GSs based somewhere overloading their ability to provide "special service". That said those bases (EWR, SFO, etc.) have extra GS capacity, special check-in lounges, etc. that even other UA bases (IAD) don't have, so I think their "total number of GSs we can accommodate" number is likely higher than at other airports, so it probably balances out.
Bottom line - you want to be a GS? Spend over $50K on United Metal. The more you spend, the better. Anything else and you are rolling the dice and the odds of getting an invite are not in your favor. Alternatively, work for a company with over $1M in spend a year and be one of the people your travel coordinator nominates for GS.

Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.
kb1992, RAPUAFlyer and AugustusM like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.