Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB

Thread for discussing GS qualifications for 2020. (Last year's thread.)

I'm at >$30K PQM for the year so far, but at 4MM, I'm not worried
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA GS
I am not worried either. Decided to buy PassPlus
wxguy likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
I am not worried either. Decided to buy PassPlus
Looked into about 3 years ago and it was just a bit above my travel costs at $50K. Ran in the low to mid $40K levels and had some issues with non UA metal dollars so kept missing the GS ring. Hit $45K out of SFO last year with almost all on UA metal didn't think I would get it after several years at that level and on literally the last day of January I got the invite. Didn't even expect it. In fact I was already booking travel on AS as I was going to finally wash my hands of UA. But like Don Corleone said "They keep pulling me back in".
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:19 pm

Do they issue invitations mid-year?

I'm well over$60K PQD/250KPQM so far this year with $14K more coming this month and likely the same in Sept.
Principally Business/ First International 2-3 times a month.

Out of EWR. Never invited previously. Or do I wait until Jan?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA GS
12 years or so ago when I got it the first time it was mid year I think late July. But I was at 90k or 100k spent. My worst travel year.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
12 years or so ago when I got it the first time it was mid year I think late July. But I was at 90k or 100k spent. My worst travel year.
Only in flyertalk do we need to ask your definition "worst".

Worst as in waaay too much travel (90k over 6 month) so away from home too long
or
Worst as in lowest $$$ spent and it was a low year when you got your GS looking back?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Another 4 MM flyer here, but I am still on track to make GS regardless my lifetime status. On track to fly 225K BIS and $75K PQD on UA metals this year, although that is still a conscious decision to fly other *A carriers this year and reduce UA flying.

Being a GS for well over a decade, it is hard to fly other airlines and trying to earn similar status from the bottom except for my annual SQ PPS status, now in its 8th year.

mdtakamine likes this.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Aug 5, 2019 at 6:14 pm
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:19 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
This is the first year I haven't been worried about re-qualification. GS since 2017, and always in the iffy zone 40's and 50's. Sitting at the 53k PQD mark and haven't even headed home from AU yet. I have at least 4 more out and backs on the plan for the rest of the year. I'd actually say this is the first year I've had the opposite thoughts, ready to cry uncle and get some time at home.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:02 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Unlikely to hit GS again for 2020. Sitting at $25K in PQD right now and shutting travel down 11/1 for our first kid on the way. Probably will end up in the low $40s by then depending on how expensive my one European trip is. If I can get that ORD <> LHR to be something like $8K then I may have a chance. My trailing 3 years will get modestly better (this year will be ahead of my 2016 spend).
aCavalierInCoach likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Originally Posted by Nschli
I'm well over$60K PQD/250KPQM so far this year with $14K more coming this month and likely the same in Sept.
Principally Business/ First International 2-3 times a month.

Out of EWR. Never invited previously. Or do I wait until Jan?
There was a post back in June in 2019 GS Qualifying thread (before this 2020 thread was started) about getting a mid year invite, spend was ~$75K.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
I was at $35K June 1 with another $25K booked through October (there will be more that that by year-end) and asked for a review and was denied. All domestic F and International business on 016 stock

Last edited by limey1K; Aug 5, 2019 at 11:27 am
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:52 am

I will fail after 3 years as GS. $14k right now, will end probably $20k and 200-300k PQM. Changed from J to Y tickets. Much better value after all the downgrades.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by jonisflying
There was a post back in June in 2019 GS Qualifying thread (before this 2020 thread was started) about getting a mid year invite, spend was ~$75K.
also had a mid year invite last year when I was hitting around 65k 6 months in. Interestingly enough they stressed it was only for 2018 and 2019 would be decided separately (but did of course qualify for 2019 with that spend rate). This year is probably a big drop for me, I’m at 45k and maybe only have another ~10k planned.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by hkarau

also had a mid year invite last year when I was hitting around 65k 6 months in. Interestingly enough they stressed it was only for 2018 and 2019 would be decided separately (but did of course qualify for 2019 with that spend rate). This year is probably a big drop for me, I’m at 45k and maybe only have another ~10k planned.
That is interesting. With my mid-year qualification this year, they explicitly mentioned that I had also qualified for 2020 and the status would be valid through January 2021 which was reflected on the GS card I recently received.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Another 4 MM flyer here, but I am still on track to make GS regardless my lifetime status. On track to fly 225K BIS and $75K PQD on UA metals this year, although that is still a conscious decision to fly other *A carriers this year.

Being a GS for well over a decade, it is hard to fly other airlines and trying to earn similar status from the bottom except for my annual SQ PPS status, now in its 8th year.

I am like you with my status except mine is with QF, I find when I fly with QF, CX even before the higher status I was treated always extremely well on board and with IRROPs
UA_Flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.