Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:58 pm

What's the consensus on UA operated flights not on 016 ticket stock? Switched companies this year and forgot to instruct the travel agent to book only 016, and only gave instructions to book UA metal. I ended up with 3 round trips totaling about 25k on LH stock, this definitely won't count towards GS right? Will UA reconsider if I ask them to at EOY?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
What's the consensus on UA operated flights not on 016 ticket stock? Switched companies this year and forgot to instruct the travel agent to book only 016, and only gave instructions to book UA metal. I ended up with 3 round trips totaling about 25k on LH stock, this definitely won't count towards GS right? Will UA reconsider if I ask them to at EOY?
UA metal issued by other carriers count for GS spend. There was an example last year of someone that booked a lot of UA metal on LH stock.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:10 pm

That's a relief and hope that's true. MPSC said differently but given how some of the agents are trained I don't totally trust them.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Originally Posted by findark
Yes, the most extreme supporting data I've seen are people with (notional, demonstrative numbers) 5/10/48 being denied while people with 55/45/38 get renewed.
What about: $21K / $24K / $55K (2017 / 2018 / 2019) - increasing each of the last 3 years, total of $100K over last 3 years?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by jonisflying
What about: $21K / $24K / $55K (2017 / 2018 / 2019) - increasing each of the last 3 years, total of $100K over last 3 years?
50+ in one year almost certainly will get an invite.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:04 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
That was nearly my exact trajectory for the first year I got an invite. I'm out of ORD as well so I think things look good for you.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by LIH
That was nearly my exact trajectory for the first year I got an invite. I'm out of ORD as well so I think things look good for you.
Cool! Thank you! Fingers crossed!
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
I pulled my numbers and the actuals are $28 / $32 / $34 / $32 / $35 and $46-48 this year

Last edited by limey1K; Sep 6, 2019 at 10:20 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 6, 2019, 12:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
All UA PQDs, not partner PQDs?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
All UA PQDs, not partner PQDs?
Yep! $55K will be minimum UA Metal PQD. I'm at $53,408 right now (counting my next 3 trips - ending Oct 12th -- 2xLHR and 1xYYZ), minus about $1,000 in partner spend (so about $52K). I'll get one more TATL or TPAC in before the end of the year, so I'll be comfortably above $55K.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Yep! $55K will be minimum UA Metal PQD. I'm at $53,408 right now (counting my next 3 trips - ending Oct 12th -- 2xLHR and 1xYYZ), minus about $1,000 in partner spend (so about $52K). I'll get one more TATL or TPAC in before the end of the year, so I'll be comfortably above $55K.
You’re in like Flynn
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
So maybe random - but - if I'm regularly doing $60-70k in PQD, not getting invites (likely because 50% or so of PQD are LH/LX due to no UA flights) am I stuck in that awkward middle ground? I could easily switch my crediting to LH, but...
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
So maybe random - but - if I'm regularly doing $60-70k in PQD, not getting invites (likely because 50% or so of PQD are LH/LX due to no UA flights) am I stuck in that awkward middle ground? I could easily switch my crediting to LH, but...
Are you willing to make the extra stop to feed "real" PQD into UA? Where are you coming from that LH/LX has such a presence and UA does not? Even that, it is surprising that you haven't received the invite. Any of it paid J/C?
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by katan
Are you willing to make the extra stop to feed "real" PQD into UA? Where are you coming from that LH/LX has such a presence and UA does not? Even that, it is surprising that you haven't received the invite. Any of it paid J/C?
95% of my travel the past two years has been paid C/D/Z with a very rare P. My problem is that 80%+ of my travel is Southern Africa and Central Asia, which necessitates longhaul connections on LH/LX which mean 50% of my PQD end up on their metal. Also, the DEL/BOM suspension this year has killed me, since it means longhaul on LH/LX to India (and no, I won't fly IAD-PEK-DEL at an outrageously higher fare to get UA metal for longer

...and no, my time is worth too much to go IAD-PEK-ALA and to JNB there's really nothing that would help beyond FRA :/
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
95% of my travel the past two years has been paid C/D/Z with a very rare P. My problem is that 80%+ of my travel is Southern Africa and Central Asia, which necessitates longhaul connections on LH/LX which mean 50% of my PQD end up on their metal. Also, the DEL/BOM suspension this year has killed me, since it means longhaul on LH/LX to India (and no, I won't fly IAD-PEK-DEL at an outrageously higher fare to get UA metal for longer

...and no, my time is worth too much to go IAD-PEK-ALA and to JNB there's really nothing that would help beyond FRA :/
If you're flying paid C/D on LH, I'd use GPUs to upgrade to LH F and just enjoy it. That's nicer than flying UA C, even as a GS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.