Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8
That is interesting. With my mid-year qualification this year, they explicitly mentioned that I had also qualified for 2020 and the status would be valid through January 2021 which was reflected on the GS card I recently received.
Well pretty nice! As someone above mentioned, people on this thread have even questioned mid year qualifying for GS was possible. Seems like it may actually be a bit more frequent now. Thank goodness they don't mid year :"unqualify" or I would be in trouble . I may be one and done with GS unfortunately.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:22 pm

Sitting at $35k now
2-3 more 8-9k international trips and 7-8 more transcons (700ish).

Qualified last year first year with $55k PQD $51k on UA
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by nomad420
Well pretty nice! As someone above mentioned, people on this thread have even questioned mid year qualifying for GS was possible. Seems like it may actually be a bit more frequent now. Thank goodness they don't mid year :"unqualify" or I would be in trouble . I may be one and done with GS unfortunately.
That's more what I would expect - all the mid-year GS qualifiers I know have done so by hitting enough spend midyear that would be a lock for GS as full-year spend.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8
That is interesting. With my mid-year qualification this year, they explicitly mentioned that I had also qualified for 2020 and the status would be valid through January 2021 which was reflected on the GS card I recently received.
I also received a mid-year invite in June as a first-time GS. I was sitting at around $85k at that time and the membership card I received also indicated it was valid through January 2021 so I'm assuming it's a good sign for next year. Expect to end the year around $140-150k. Next year will be significantly lower, so I'm hoping that trailing average remains a consideration.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:32 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

One thing to note: You can have X amount already flown, but the Y amount "booked" will not count whatsoever. So you have to go with what you have flown for the mid-year review.
wxguy likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
4 Million miles so I am not concerned. I'm at $49K with another $40K booking for this year. I make a concerted effort to fly BA, because I love BA first class.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by ryman554
Only in flyertalk do we need to ask your definition "worst".

Worst as in waaay too much travel (90k over 6 month) so away from home too long
or
Worst as in lowest $$$ spent and it was a low year when you got your GS looking back?
worst as in way too much travel
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
premium plus fares

Any thoughts on how premium plus fares fit into GS qualification? I've read elsewhere that the GS reviewers heavily favor business class and full fare economy spending. But what about premium plus, which can be pretty pricey (almost P) and pretty cheap (as in lower than the higher economy fares)?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by Boghopper
Any thoughts on how premium plus fares fit into GS qualification? I've read elsewhere that the GS reviewers heavily favor business class and full fare economy spending. But what about premium plus, which can be pretty pricey (almost P) and pretty cheap (as in lower than the higher economy fares)?
Evidence points toward revenue only.

Perhaps for cases where you are on the border, cpm may come into play. But total UA-metal PQD as the driving factor seems incontrovertible.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
I'm at 62,650 PQM
32 PQS
$24,999 Spend right now, including one Full Fare F to Italy and back.

I'm very worried about making it the rest of this year as I only have short hops remaining. I really do not want to have to make that Mileage Run to PVG at the end of the year but it sure is looking likely!
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Ambassador
GS chances

Hi all - I am based in SEA and current year status (as of August 14th) is:

PQD – Total: $64,788; UA only: $63,619 (the $1.169 was spent on LH flight)
PQS - Total: 64.5; UA only: 61.5
PQM – Total: 333,327; UA 328,301
For the rest of the year, I still have 3 domestic trips in Economy Class which may add another $1,000 to my PQD.

Previous years - 2018: $38K; 2017 and before: $3K a year.
Lifetime flight miles 550,000

Here is my question, what do you think are my chances of making GS? I have the option of taking another J Int’l flight of $7,500 putting me over $70K – Do you think this is necessary? I prefer not to take it and to postpone to next year but will take it if it improves the chances of making GS. Thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:00 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by balag
Hi all - I am based in SEA and current year status (as of August 14th) is:

PQD – Total: $64,788; UA only: $63,619 (the $1.169 was spent on LH flight)
PQS - Total: 64.5; UA only: 61.5
PQM – Total: 333,327; UA 328,301
For the rest of the year, I still have 3 domestic trips in Economy Class which may add another $1,000 to my PQD.

Previous years - 2018: $38K; 2017 and before: $3K a year.
Lifetime flight miles 550,000

Here is my question, what do you think are my chances of making GS? I have the option of taking another J Int’l flight of $7,500 putting me over $70K – Do you think this is necessary? I prefer not to take it and to postpone to next year but will take it if it improves the chances of making GS. Thanks!
Not an expert ex-SEA (which I do think is pretty GS heavy) but you seem like you should be fine with current PQD. Trailing 2 years @ ~$100K would also bode well. My GS invites have come when my trailing 3 years was >$100K and certainly your current year spend is well within the safe range from previous years. At least from the anecdotes on this board, there aren't a lot of $50K+ PQD FTers that don't get a nod.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:01 pm

This year I'm doing a lot of partner flying, how do I determine my UA only PQD on a combined ticket like EWR-FRA-IST, with FRA-IST on Lufthansa?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
This year I'm doing a lot of partner flying, how do I determine my UA only PQD on a combined ticket like EWR-FRA-IST, with FRA-IST on Lufthansa?
Short answer, wait until it posts.

In this situation it up to the ticket issuer and how they handle it and nearly any answer is possible.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
the ticket will break it down per segment and this is how is usually posts as well, except for irop situations or sometimes with upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.