Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
If you're flying paid C/D on LH, I'd use GPUs to upgrade to LH F and just enjoy it. That's nicer than flying UA C, even as a GS.
*grin* you don't read my TRs, do you? I spend a lot of time in LH F, which yes, is totally an awesome benefit.... unfortunately, JNB sells out in F a lot of the time, so even on a C fare little love.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
*grin* you don't read my TRs, do you? I spend a lot of time in LH F, which yes, is totally an awesome benefit.... unfortunately, JNB sells out in F a lot of the time, so even on a C fare little love.
I get the struggle if you are always in those regions - I have also had the fun of JNB-FRA too many times without any options. If you are also dancing around south Asia and the Indian subcontinent, you aren't going to find much help their either. But what would prevent you from closing the loop with your TATL/TPAC flights back on UA. When I finally made GS, it made sense find flights that were equally cost effective but longer - such as DEN->LHR->FRA->JNB, the intra Europe and South Africa flights on LH. It was cost effective and resulted in PQD realization.

With so many UA options across the oceans, you should be able to get over the hump.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by katan
With so many UA options across the oceans, you should be able to get over the hump.
The TATL segment for JNB is only 40% of the total distance - and when chosen increases the total time to JNB from 16 to 30 hours. So it’s a no win either way when your total PQD are around 70k and 60% of the distance/PQD has to be non-UA
Old Sep 10, 2019, 4:08 am

Just a suggestion, I'm not entirely familiar with passplus but from my understanding it can be used to book *A.
so if you're spending 50k+ why not sign up for PassPlus get GS and use the money for your LH/LX flights?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
Just a suggestion, I'm not entirely familiar with passplus but from my understanding it can be used to book *A.
so if you're spending 50k+ why not sign up for PassPlus get GS and use the money for your LH/LX flights?
I don't think our Corporate Travel department would go for that
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: ua gs, bonvoy platinum, hyatt explorist
IAH based flyer with status earned/booked through mid-October:
PQM: 150,400
PQD: $65,400
BIS: 98,600 (100% UA Metal)

Travel by flights taken is 85% IAH to MAF on B fare. Made over 60% of my PQD on 3 INTL flights on J's or C's.
Will have 3 or 4 more IAH to MAF flights between mid-October and year end, that still need to be booked.

Previous Years:
2018: 122,800 - $32,400
2017: 103,100 - $18,500
2016: 100,300 - $19,800

Chances?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:34 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Always making changes to my flights; I book a lot of close in travel, nearly all biz class (and domestic first):

#s as of today:
Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM): 231,751
Premier Qualifying Segments (PQS): 97
Premier Qualifying Dollars (PQD): $59,668

Right now I am booking more on AA to try and keep exec plate or at lest platpro.

These numbers are higher then the last two years I qual'd so I presume a re-qual but of course with GS YMMV.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Always making changes to my flights; I book a lot of close in travel, nearly all biz class (and domestic first):

#s as of today:
Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM): 231,751
Premier Qualifying Segments (PQS): 97
Premier Qualifying Dollars (PQD): $59,668

Right now I am booking more on AA to try and keep exec plate or at lest platpro.

These numbers are higher then the last two years I qual'd so I presume a re-qual but of course with GS YMMV.
It looks like you will end up north of $60K so unless they decide to really cull the heard you will definitely get the re-invite out of what looks like IAH.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:04 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by proletariat_class

Travel by flights taken is 85% IAH to MAF on B fare. Made over 60% of my PQD on 3 INTL flights on J's or C's.
Will have 3 or 4 more IAH to MAF flights between mid-October and year end, that still need to be booked.

Previous Years:

Chances?
With all UA metal those numbers you are good. The 3 year look-back probably doesn't even matter given your 2019 spend but it also looks good.
UA1KFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: ua gs, bonvoy platinum, hyatt explorist
Originally Posted by LIH
With all UA metal those numbers you are good. The 3 year look-back probably doesn't even matter given your 2019 spend but it also looks good.
That is reassuring. I assumed my trailing 3yr wasn't up to snuff.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by proletariat_class

Previous Years:

Chances?
99.99%.
UA1KFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
There is certainly a level where 3-year stops mattering; see the midyear invites if nothing else. Over 60k and I'd think you're in.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:24 pm

Looking to be around $65-70k PQD this year, but only around $45k or so UA metal. What's the general consensus on IAD/DCA? I would think due to government fares the threshold might be a little lower here, but then again there's all those lawyers and defense contractors...
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Looking to be around $65-70k PQD this year, but only around $45k or so UA metal. What's the general consensus on IAD/DCA? I would think due to government fares the threshold might be a little lower here, but then again there's all those lawyers and defense contractors...
Your sitting almost exactly where I was a 3 years ago out of SFO when I didn't make it. After three more years of similar numbers they threw me a bone this year and gave me the invite. This may be a situation where you need to look back at your prior spend rate. If this is the first year you popped up to $45K on UA metal they MAY hold back. JMHO.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: United 1MM, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
This is the first year I think I've got a chance. Based out of IAD, almost all travel this year paid business (typically discounted fares). Had to go through old records to figure out UA PQD (have a couple of United Express in there, but less than $500 due to fact almost all my travel in international. I also just hit 1MM on United this year but of course that isn't worth anywhere near what it used to be pre-merger...

Stats:
- 2019 (projected and already purchased) - 230K PQM/67 Segments/45,329 PQD (United)/55,452 PQD (total)
- 2018 - 152K PQM/63 Segments/31,722 PQD (United)/35,088 PQD (total)
- 2017 - 125K PQM/55 Segments/16,281 PQD (United)/20060 PQD (total)

Reason for the big difference between United and Total PQD is a lot of Lufthansa flights from FRA to the Middle East after I fly across the Atlantic on United. Fact they basically eliminated all their flights from DC to the middle east really hurt me there. I do have a possibility of booking another trip to the middle east this year which would likely net me another ~3-4K United PQD. I know the general consensus on this list is that 50K UA PQD is enough to get over the line in all but the most GS-heave bases (SFO). I'm not sure where IAD falls into that mix. Does anyone have experience/thoughts on possibility of qualifying our of IAD with these numbers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.