Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:53 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
The only way that I would see the new regime as depressing GS chances is from the sub-set of flyers that fly preferred partners that previously didn't have a chance at GS that are now shoe-ins. The follow-on assumption there is that UA wants to keep the GS ranks at a certain small % of overall flyers. Too many if, then logic in there for me to really get all that worried.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Originally Posted by LIH
The only way that I would see the new regime as depressing GS chances is from the sub-set of flyers that fly preferred partners that previously didn't have a chance at GS that are now shoe-ins. The follow-on assumption there is that UA wants to keep the GS ranks at a certain small % of overall flyers. Too many if, then logic in there for me to really get all that worried.
I think GS will continue to be based on $ spent (or PQP) on UA metal only, so being able to earn PQP on partner airlines shouldn't figure into GS qualification.

Per TPG: "And what about Global Services? United MileagePlus head Luc Bondar noted that United’s GS program won’t be impacted by these changes — it’ll remain invite-only, and, presumably, based exclusively on spend for United-issued flights."
LIH and AugustusM like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:08 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
I think GS will continue to be based on $ spent (or PQP) on UA metal only, so being able to earn PQP on partner airlines shouldn't figure into GS qualification.

Per TPG: "And what about Global Services? United MileagePlus head Luc Bondar noted that United’s GS program won’t be impacted by these changes — it’ll remain invite-only, and, presumably, based exclusively on spend for United-issued flights."
Had not seen that so thanks for noting it for me!
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
I am much lower on spend this year than in previous years. I re-qualified last year at I think about $38k in spend. I have a only a couple of flights left for the year that might get me up to about $35k. That said, i have a flight early next week through ORD to DEN. It was one of the last fares and a $2k ticket. I got it because the direct flight was fully sold out. If seats open up last minute on the direct flight can I go standby on it and still get my full PQD's? What if I call it in now? If I was lower or much higher in spend this year I would not care, but I figure I am still on some sort of bubble with them. Thoughts?
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by LIH
Had not seen that so thanks for noting it for me!
Can any statement from UA be trusted?
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by UAflyer93

They emailed GS members and said this. Still UA metal and still $$. They said - NO CHANGES FOR GS QUAL
Old Oct 11, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: United Lifetime 1K, Global Service, Marriott LTTE, Hyatt GLobalist, AA MM,Hertz PC, Global Entry
Emails

Originally Posted by ainternational
They emailed GS members and said this. Still UA metal and still $$. They said - NO CHANGES FOR GS QUAL
I did not receive an email??
when did it go out?
Old Oct 12, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: UGS, AA CK
Originally Posted by shelby101
I did not receive an email??
when did it go out?

here is the email they sent.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, Starwood Gold
Did anyone do a re-qualify challenge for Global Services status back in January of this year? I have been GS for the last 3 years but due to family circumstances I had to cut my travel short this year (and moved to Europe). I'll be back in the fold for 2020 and as I understand if you lose GS status you can "challenge" to gain your status back.

It is a 3 month challenge focused on around 15K in spend right? Does anyone recall the dates the 15K spend is effective? Is it from the day you lose your status (Feb 1) or is it from Jan 1? Also, do you keep your status while you are challenging? And finally - if you qualify with the challenge, your GS is only effective for that calendar year I take it (not the following year)?
Old Oct 12, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by staren937

here is the email they sent.
I didn’t even realize that I’d received this and that it was GS-specific until you mentioned it.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:39 am
LIH

I didn't get that e-mail either.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: UGS
Originally Posted by Fivestardude
Curious to find out what the experts think my chances of achieving GS status in 2020 are. Few pertinent facts.
Joined Mileage Plus when my OnePass account was merged into it. Been a 1K since the two loyalty programs were functionally merged, i.e., 2013.
PQD (rounded) for 2016, 2017, 2018 are $33,500, $25,800, and $46,200, respectively. All on UA metal. All 016 tickets.
This year's PQD should end-up somewhere slightly north of $50,000 and PQM will be around 225,000 to 250,000. All 016 tickets.
IAH based.
You’ll qualify for GS.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by ainternational
The way I read the email posted (I am not GS) was that it has not changed from invitation only. However, I suspect they may increase the spend just as they did for all other tiers....
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by villox
I didn’t even realize that I’d received this and that it was GS-specific until you mentioned it.
Me, either! I did not even bother to open the email.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
The way I read the email posted (I am not GS) was that it has not changed from invitation only. However, I suspect they may increase the spend just as they did for all other tiers....
Increase the spend is given. There are more GS out there than ever, and I have been a GS for over a decade to make this observation.

I feel fortunate not have to qualified GS each year based on a conscious decision I made not to pursue multiple elite status across different airlines in any given calendar year (Apart from my annual PPS status).
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:37 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Increase the spend is given. There are more GS out there than ever, and I have been a GS for over a decade to make this observation..
Ugh, I really hope not! I just crossed $53K (TPA Based) and now have what was historically considered the right spend levels for an invite ($50k+, $100K trailing 3 year spend) and now that appears to be questionable.

I went back and read the spreadsheet for the 2019 GS Qualifying (I get that those numbers represent only the FT community who responded), based on everything I read I was feeling great about my chances... now I'm not so sure given the new changes.

I've still got a couple of trips this year (at least two TPA-IAD), plus perhaps one more to Sweden and I could squeeze in a personal trip as well if needed... but not sure what to do at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.